High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What oil is best? and what ratio?

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Red armor was lean tested. It started cleaning up its own mess when put back on 40:1. Dominator did the same thing, it just had much less of it's own mess to clean up. In the 50:1 testing I did, in the pm, Dominator and Red Armor were pretty much dead even in the cleanliness department in two different but identical trimmers that I cleaned up inside to shiney new condition.
As in each oil was ran in each trimmer and cleaned in between.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red armor was lean tested. It started cleaning up its own mess when put back on 40:1. Dominator did the same thing, it just had much less of it's own mess to clean up. In the 50:1 testing I did, in the pm, Dominator and Red Armor were pretty much dead even in the cleanliness department in two different but identical trimmers that I cleaned up inside to shiney new condition.

I've never liked Red Armor. Every saw that a customer ever sent me that had been ran on it had a wet nasty spooge in and around the muffler. I'm not sure if it just that it's tough to tune with, or if it just doesn't burn for chit. I wrote it off years ago though.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes and any other that advertises that it cleans.

I have a feeling air filters letting fines through could be a big source of carbon buildup regardless of the kind of oil.
Had a lengthy phone conversation prob two years ago if that, with a member here that swears by RA and it’s ability to remove carbon buildup, etc when used. How many tanks of use before noticing differences I can’t remember. But I know one thing, he’s one helluva small engine/two-stroke, etc mechanic and I prob wouldn’t ever learn or know a tenth of his knowledge regarding this stuff. I was just about to change everything over here to RA and he said run what you got (XP+) until it runs out. I’ve got a crazy amount of bottles of XP+ to go through though so I may not live long enough to find out. Lol

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never liked Red Armor. Every saw that a customer ever sent me that had been ran on it had a wet nasty spooge in and around the muffler. I'm not sure if it just that it's tough to tune with, or if it just doesn't burn for chit. I wrote it off years ago though.
Its finicky to tune and im not the only one to experience this. Some other members on here know exactly what I'm talking about. Then there is that sweet sickening melted crayon stink. I got used to it but it almost ended my use before it got Dominated. It turning the wrist pins blue in both 50:1 cleanliness test trimmers is odd too.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its finicky to tune and im not the only one to experience this. Some other members on here know exactly what I'm talking about. Then there is that sweet sickening melted crayon stink. I got used to it but it almost ended my use before it got Dominated. It turning the wrist pins blue in both 50:1 cleanliness test trimmers is odd too.
Actually, I'll have to go look back, I think one trimmer for the RA and Dominator clean off was aborted for some reason. To far back to remember correctly. Getting Old sucks. Either way, dead heat in the one they both ran in at 50:1 under my test conditions.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's wrong with a little spooge in and around the muffler? I bet the bearings had plenty of oil on them.

When you make a living grinding on mufflers, the last thing you like to see is a muffler that is so wet and sticky that it's damn near impossible to get the metal chips out of it after you mod it. I've spent a lot of time and effort cleaning up nasty mufflers. Although I usually don't do used saws anymore, I still hate a nasty muffler.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's wrong with a little spooge in and around the muffler? I bet the bearings had plenty of oil on them.
Some people don't like that gummy drool all over their equipment. I didn't have much with RA. More than others that did it but not enough to be an issue. I've seen equipment that had ran unknown oils that looked like roofing tar had been spilled on them. Sticky nasty stuff.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just aim the deflector at the chain and you won't need bar oil.

There's a stihl 180 where I work, they use RA and there's lots of wet nasty black all over the muffler. Poor RA is trying to keep up with the 10/10 emissions index it has to chase the carbon out the muffler.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just aim the deflector at the chain and you won't need bar oil.

There's a stihl 180 where I work, they use RA and there's lots of wet nasty black all over the muffler. Poor RA is trying to keep up with the 10/10 emissions index it has to chase the carbon out the muffler.
Thats the tar type goo I speak of.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still have a several bottles of 2R left from back in the day. This I'll just continue to use it up. If I had a 2stroke bike or quad around I'd use it up in that but nothing at the moment.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got by the internals. My 026 is my most used saw. Looks to me like zero wear on piston and jug. Nice sheen on the skirt through the muffler port. Little sheen on the muffler deflector. I just wipe it out and continue running the saw. Plug looks good. Not sure what else to base it on. Plenty of power too.
I'm just a firewooder hack.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got by the internals. My 026 is my most used saw. Looks to me like zero wear on piston and jug. Nice sheen on the skirt through the muffler port. Little sheen on the muffler deflector. I just wipe it out and continue running the saw. Plug looks good. Not sure what else to base it on. Plenty of power too.
I'm just a firewooder hack.

Rule Number One. To thine own self be true.

In other words, use whatever works for you. Just because someone else finds fault with it, that shouldn't cause a defensive reaction in us.....but it usually does. We are just human after all.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes and any other that advertises that it cleans.

I have a feeling air filters letting fines through could be a big source of carbon buildup regardless of the kind of oil.
In my experience long term 2000 plus hrs on a saw fines have zero effect inside a saw engine like zero nothing.
Personally I think blown bearings gummed up rings worn through plating bad piston skirt wear carbon build up is all an oil problem nothing to do with sawdust fines.
All my saws eat lots of sawdust fines year after year I don't do anything about it as I know it's doing zero harm but I do run a good cheap mineral oil maybe that's the secret..
20200209_135308.jpg 20200905_110624.jpg 20200905_110632.jpg wod4 029.JPG 3 (1).JPG

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience long term 2000 plus hrs on a saw fines have zero effect inside a saw engine like zero nothing.
Personally I think blown bearings gummed up rings worn through plating bad piston skirt wear carbon build up is all an oil problem nothing to do with sawdust fines.
All my saws eat lots of sawdust fines year after year I don't do anything about it as I know it's doing zero harm but I do run a good cheap mineral oil maybe that's the secret..
View attachment 302021 View attachment 302022 View attachment 302023 View attachment 302025 View attachment 302026

A post based on actual experience? What are you trying to do? Confuse us with facts?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rule Number One. To thine own self be true.

In other words, use whatever works for you. Just because someone else finds fault with it, that shouldn't cause a defensive reaction in us.....but it usually does. We are just human after all.
Yes sir. Well... I used Yamalube based on your recommendations. LOL
NOW we find out it's No Bueno...

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alot of guys say they've got lots of oil to use up? I was buying some old homelite weed wackers and the fellow gave me a bucket of parts that had a couple of cans of McCulloch oil , probably from the 70s. So how long does 2 stroke keep?
Cans are in a museum in Iowa now.