What oil is best? and what ratio?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my plug after running a Red Armor, Klotz, VP oil cocktail. Oil used with VP SEF.
MOFO 026 with a generally fat tune. Just cut 4 straight days running saw WOT for most cuts. Went through 1 gallon of bar oil for the job. 8 decent sized trees, 18 to 20" diameter sticks. Plug is the same one that came on my saw. About 2 years old.
Around 32ish:1.
b1ce2e8d6e88c9d0a567fea874caf2cd.jpg
8e62c8ed678017b930817b0fa768d136.jpg
Gotta hole in yer glove

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is exactly why I have stayed away from Klotz original techniplate, and a few other oils like Dominator, Red Line and a few others. These oils state specifically they contain no corrosion inhibitors, and are notbro be use as storage lubricants.

To me most of the high end oils run clean. IMHO other factors like fuel, tuning and how the saw is ran, determines internal cleanliness, not just the oil. Only a few oils made a true mess of things, Klotz super techniplate comes to mind.
This is also why I prefer a synthetic blend oil without esters for saw use.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes

This is one of two reasons why I asked:

I only notice “condensation” in saws with OTP and the Klotz OTP container says for race only. Doesn’t say anything about corrosion protection and even suggests fogging if you’re going to be storing it.

Just about every other good oil says stuff about corrosion protection and some even have fuel stabilizers for storage. Maxima K2, for example has details about corrosion protection.

Also, I’ve got some old Red Armor, smells like dead fish ........ the new Red Armor doesn’t smell like it at all. It’s definitely alot different from what it was
The old Red Armor did have a bit different formulation as compared to run of the mill OPE oils. As its formulated now I cant justify the price.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is also why I prefer a synthetic blend oil without esters for saw use.
I still personally want an ester based oil. I believe with the right additive package some of the issues with ester are negated. K2 and others have good corrosion resistance from what I've seen. The positives with a properly formulated ester based oil outweigh the negatives IMHO That said if corrosion is ones main concern oils like 2R and HP2 are probably the way to go. Thus far I have seen no reason to switch from K2.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I still personally want an ester based oil. I believe with the right additive package some of the issues with ester are negated. K2 and others have good corrosion resistance from what I've seen. The positives with a properly formulated ester based oil outweigh the negatives IMHO That said if corrosion is ones main concern oils like 2R and HP2 are probably the way to go. Thus far I have seen no reason to switch from K2.
K2 is an ester blend and I really like it. However, I wouldnt trust any ester or ester blend oil for storage long than a few weeks in a humid climate.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That Stihl Ultra is baked on
Couldnt give me Stihl Ultra or a Fourmix engine for that matter..
When Ultra first came out I bought a new Ms361 and got two quarts of the stuff due to the dealer raving how great it was. Never cared for the smell and really didnt care for it after I took a peak inside.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
12:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couldnt give me Stihl Ultra or a Fourmix engine for that matter..
When Ultra first came out I bought a new Ms361 and got two quarts of the stuff due to the dealer raving how great it was. Never cared for the smell and really didnt care for it after I took a peak inside.
Im with u Ben. Someone gave me this HT101 telescoper which I have a HT250 non telescoping but I figured for free Id clean her up and feed her some K2 :D

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
K2 is an ester blend and I really like it. However, I wouldnt trust any ester or ester blend oil for storage long than a few weeks in a humid climate.
Agreed. However I've had saws ran with K2 and R50 sit for 6+ months and have yet to see any signs of corrosion.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agreed. However I've had saws ran with K2 and R50 sit for 6+ months and have yet to see any signs of corrosion.
I did that sort of stuff for years and had no issues until one day I did. Lesson learned. Although, now that I live in MT where its bone dry its less of an issue.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did that sort of stuff for years and had no issues until one day I did. Lesson learned. Although, now that I live in MT where its bone dry its kess of an issue.
I would venture to guess the oil was only one part of the problem, as you said environment plays a key role.