High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What is your preference for a concealed carry weapon?

Jwalker1911

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I just like the idea of the power that the .480 generates at a relatively low chamber pressure as compared to the Casull. It makes for a longer, slower recoil curve. And I do handload, but there's something to be sai for availability in the cse of the .44 and .45 in the Colt and Casull. The .460 S&W might be a bit past ridiculous, but I've yet to try that.
It's actually pretty comfortable but the only one I fired had a super long barrel,was ported and had a bipod. I was basically shooting a rifle one handed

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just like the idea of the power that the .480 generates at a relatively low chamber pressure as compared to the Casull. It makes for a longer, slower recoil curve. And I do handload, but there's something to be said for availability in the case of the .44 and .45 in the Colt and Casull. The .460 S&W might be a bit past ridiculous, but I've yet to try that.

It's actually pretty comfortable but the only one I fired had a super long barrel,was ported and had a bipod. I was basically shooting a rifle one handed

I like the mass availability of the 44.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And that's where I'm torn. When I get an essentially hand-held rifle (like a BFR long frame), a .30-30 or .460 will be just fine. For something in the 6-8.5" range though, it might be beyond, my limits, though I will have to find out for myself.

As to the Kahr pictured earlier, how do you find the recoil? I've only shot 1 Kahr brand firearm, I forget the model, but a DAO mid-sized .40... The recoil was just plain nasty. about 30rds into a box and I was flinching a bit. It was a rental and I swapped it out for another, firearm, which I forget now and finished off the box.

Jwalker1911

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Recoil is odd. I shoot some pretty big calibers and they dont bother me(much
), but I bought a CVA Optima in 243 for my kids and that thing kicked so hard they wouldnt touch it. I had a Parker Hale 30-06 that booted you so bad it eventually cracked the stock. Stock and/or grip design is key for sure.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a Savage 110 or 116 like this: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11InternationalTrophyHunterXP but the butt pad was a cutout srip of bedmat... Due to the detachable box magazine, there weren't stocks available at the time. The most rounds I ever put through it in one outing was about 7. At that point I was flinching. Keep in mind, my Wife's step-brother has a '90's-'00's vintage Winchester model 70 stainless with a sporter weight barrel and decent pad. I put 35 rounds through it the day he got it and the only reason I stopped was so that I didn't burn up all of his ammo. I would shoot it again in a heartbeat over that savage that I had for a few months.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to say my next revolver would be a Freedom Arms field grade in 454 Casull with a 5" barrel but it is looking like my next ones will be 686 silhouette and a 617
I've got a FA 83 with a 4 3/4 Magna Ported barrel. It's absolutely the most ill mannered revolver I've ever fired. It's kind of like shooting a hand grenade.
I've also got a 6 1/2" Ruger SBH Bisley in .480 and a SRH Toklat 5 1/2" in .454. Both of them are far more comfortable to shoot than the FA. I haven't shot a SBH Bisley in .454, so I can't make a direct comparison between it and the FA in .454 but the SBH is .480, with stout loaded 412gr bullets is much more comfortable than the FA in .454 with stout loaded 300gr bullets.
Below is a photo, for size comparison, of the SBH (top), Toklat (center) and FA (bottom).
image.jpg

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 629 does fine, but for sustained use, I'd take a RH or SRH any day. I see the 629 as a .44spl that can shoot mags. I see the RH and SRH as Mags that can shoot specials.
I'd have to try an 83 before I bought one, especially in .454. I know that they're about the most well-timed/built revolver out there and I can tolerate a decent amount of recoil w/o flinching, but I've got it on good authority that the 83 chambered in Casull with about any length of non-ported barrel has a wicked snap to it. I think if I want more power than 280-315gr loads in .44's and .45's, it would either be a .480 Ruger in a SRH or a BFR single action, or a Smith X-frame, just to have more pistol to soak it up. Power's nothing w/o control.
If you ever get to mid Missouri, let me know, I'll let you shoot my FA in .454.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's been a struggle for me to find something comfortable enough to actually carry all the time.
I also visit a federal no gun zone daily so I need to be able to get it in and out of the holster reliably and smoothly while sitting in my truck.
Being a portly diabetic I have never found a holster of any type that kept the texture of the grip from rubbing my side raw within a few hours.
I really like Glocks, started with a 27, then a 26 then a 17 and finally a 43 after trying the one my wife selected and liking it.
Most recently we tried a lot of different smaller frame pistols because she wanted something she would actually carry in her purse.
She settled on a Sig Saur p238 Equinox and damned if it isnt perfectly comfortbleto0 carry in the watch pocket of my jeans with the grip parallel to my belt so no rubbing :)
I am picking one for me up from a saw buddy here in Ohio.
Hopefully my gun-quest is over, I need another expensive hobby like I need a third nipple.
Dave
My wife loves her Sig 938 and with the factory Crimson trace laser I believe that it's the perfect carry weapon, lightweight and fast target acquisition and in 9mm vs the 380 in the 238. I find myself borrowing it more and more often and leaving my 4.5" commander size 1911 at home!!! She has a nice AR 15 pistol also,but I haven't found a good rig to carry and conceal that in... yet!

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ESP the problem is that holster leave the butt exposed to make it easy to draw, but the stipling on the butt is too aggressive for my tender young side belly.
I heal real slow and injure real easily' so I found an in-pocket sleeve that is comfy and draw reliably and easily.
The safety can be taken off in the same drawing motion so there are eight rounds.
I never was in a situation where I wished I had been armed, and hopefully never will be.

Jwalker1911

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ESP the problem is that holster leave the butt exposed to make it easy to draw, but the stipling on the butt is too aggressive for my tender young side belly.
I heal real slow and injure real easily' so I found an in-pocket sleeve that is comfy and draw reliably and easily.
The safety can be taken off in the same drawing motion so there are eight rounds.
I never was in a situation where I wished I had been armed, and hopefully never will be.
A friend of mine makes holsters. Mine is designed so no part of the weapon contacts my skin. It is Kydex and leather.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That skin will soon tuffin up lill buddy [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dave,
You might want to consider a Ruger LCP or similar that can be carried in your pocket. Like you, i have to go places at times where i am not legally permitted to carry and need to remove the firearm easily. A .380 is not what i prefer to have should i ever need it but a .380 that is always with me because it is concealable and comfortable enough to carry at all times will serve me much better than the larger pistol that i left at home because it telegraphs through my clothes or is uncomfortable. I carry a LCP with Crimson Trace in a holster from these folks. Might be worth a thought.

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Ruger...t_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket-wallet_holster.html

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mine is usually either a glock 19 or a xds 45 both in their respective hybrid holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dave,
You might want to consider a Ruger LCP or similar that can be carried in your pocket. Like you, i have to go places at times where i am not legally permitted to carry and need to remove the firearm easily. A .380 is not what i prefer to have should i ever need it but a .380 that is always with me because it is concealable and comfortable enough to carry at all times will serve me much better than the larger pistol that i left at home because it telegraphs through my clothes or is uncomfortable. I carry a LCP with Crimson Trace in a holster from these folks. Might be worth a thought.

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Ruger...t_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket-wallet_holster.html
That's a clever holster, i prefer front pocket and this one does a good job for me, no printing unless i go to the Gap and buy some skinny jeans :)
I figure .380 with self defense ammo should be plenty unless i am outnumbered more than 8 to 1.

IMG_9402.JPG

My wife's p238 has a laser and even though she is a pretty dang good shot, if she turns the laser on she gets so distracted trying to line up the sights and laser that she might miss the whole dang target at 30'.
She told me to take that stupid thing off and had trillium sights installed that she really liked on her Glock 43.
Anybody looking for a factory laser for a p238?
Dave

sawnami

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My two favorites
Micro .380 and CW.380
The Vedder IWB for the Kahr was about as compact as I could get.
4d57f7e1c282c8a91a0adbf26bf293b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a clever holster, i prefer front pocket and this one does a good job for me, no printing unless i go to the Gap and buy some skinny jeans :)
I figure .380 with self defense ammo should be plenty unless i am outnumbered more than 8 to 1.

View attachment 68766

My wife's p238 has a laser and even though she is a pretty dang good shot, if she turns the laser on she gets so distracted trying to line up the sights and laser that she might miss the whole dang target at 30'.
She told me to take that stupid thing off and had trillium sights installed that she really liked on her Glock 43.
Anybody looking for a factory laser for a p238?
Dave

10-4. I like front pocket carry as well. The holsters that I posted the link to are perfect for front pocket carry. They actually form a rectangular "paddle" shape that does a great job of keeping the firearm in the same upright position all the time. I doubt I will be so lucky as to run across a murderer, rapist, or mugger who would be so kind as to stand by and wait while I fumble around in my pocket for a pistol that has turned itself sideways.