Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a piece of junk, for the most part.

My TriLink loop won't self feed worth poop!

There is something profoundly wrong with these chains, they will not bite at all.

FYI, I lowered the rakers today, no positive change in cutting behaviour - this loop is as agressive as a dead snail!

The only odd thing is that it kinda holds its poor "edge" for a full tank of fuel in dirty oak logs - that is worth 30 minutes of bucking with my PS-7900.
A small touch up will help it hold its poor "edge", and by touch up I mean 2-3 free hand file strokes upon refueling the saw.

I am disappointed with this TriLink loop, and I have a couple more. :confused:

I have some pictures on my phone, I'll get them up when I'm on my PC.

Last edited:

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
5:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What a piece of junk, for the most part.

My TriLink loop won't self feed worth poop!

There is something profoundly wrong with these chains, they will not bite at all.

FYI, I lowered the rakers today, no positive change in cutting behaviour - this loop is as agressive as a dead snail!

The only odd thing is that it kinda holds its poor "edge" for a full tank of fuel in dirty oak logs - that is worth 30 minutes of bucking with my PS-7900.
A small touch up will help it hold its poor "edge", and by touch up I mean 2-3 free hand file strokes upon refueling the saw.

I am disappointed with this TriLink loop, and I have a couple more. :confused:

I have some pictures on my phone, I'll get them up when I'm on my PC.
LOL need a hand saw.

nixon

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just FYI .... Woodland Pro .325 NK is tri link chain . I run a couple of loops on an 029 I rebuilt . It's actually not bad . Holds an edge reasonably well ,and doesn't "stretch " as bad as I thought it might .

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Woodland Pro chain is still made by Carlton with the exception of the narrow kerf chain(20nk)."
"Carlton stopped making the non safety NK."

Reply from Bailey's on 'another forum'.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The current Bailey' sale circular still shows the Carlton chain.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chisel 3/8" TriLink loop I was exclusively using on my PS-7900 snapped yesterday, about 2/3 worn.

A rivet head seems to have popped of, the tie strap on that side unhooked, and the tie strap on the opposite side snapped as it couldn't hold the load on its own.

I made about 10 bucking cuts in ~20" oak logs, didn't notice anything unusual - chain was cutting great.
Turned around to noodle a big oak knot and the chain snapped the moment it touched the round.
Gave me a good scare.

This is the very first time that I have a 3/8" loop break on me, but it is also the first cheapo loop I ever used.

I noodled said knot with a Dolmar chisel "triangle-tooth" loop, no issues whatsoever!

Pictures to come.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chains break. That is what the chain catcher, flat guard under the rear handle, gloves, and caps are for.

Glad that you only got a scare!

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once I get some pictures up I will consult @Philbert whether to try and close the loop for further usage or call it a loss and take the next TriLink out of its box (I have 4 more).

Chains break. That is what the chain catcher, flat guard under the rear handle, gloves, and caps are for.

Glad that you only got a scare!

Philbert
You have seen pictures of loops that "I" consider worn out!
That been said I didn't expect a 3/8" loop to break - there is a lot of meat left in the tie straps and drive link rivet holes.

I guess the rivets on these TriLinks are too soft as this loop just kept stretching like a cat after a nap.

I have had 3/8" LowProfile break on me quite often prior to 2006. when my little saw was my only saw.
This is the first loop to snap on me since 2006.

Holiday vacation is close, will take pictures and load them up as soon as I get some play time!

Cheers

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally had some time to inspect that broken TriLink loop of mine, I think it is safe to say it's trash!
Aside from the snapped tie strap I found a second tie strap that is broken on one side - no point of trying to fix this loop up considering I have to pay about 1.5$ per preset & labor.

So be it, off into the scrap bin!
First 3/8" loop I didn't manage to truly wear out - and I have 4 more like this to use.
Copy of P1030448.JPG Copy of P1030477.JPG

Shame, I just started to like how it was cutting:
Copy of P1030465.JPG Copy of P1030466.JPG Copy of P1030467.JPG

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you at least got some wear out of that chain!

Curious what your depth gauge offset measures.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will take a measure with a feeler gauge and get back to You.
Any higher than that and the chain didn't cut worth poop without excessive usage of bucking spikes leverage.

The chain cut very well set up like this, oak, beech and hornbeam.

This chain is funky, but will cut through inches of dry mud encasing a firewood log without getting severely dull.

Have a couple more of these TriLink loops to play with. ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have You noticed the wear difference between the friction surface of the cutter plates and the tie straps?

Cutter plate seems to be much harder, doesn't it.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have You noticed the wear difference between the friction surface of the cutter plates and the tie straps?

Cutter plate seems to be much harder, doesn't it.
try some raisman chain on hl supply i have been hearing good things about the chains and they are cheaper than Oregon which must be expensive in Croatia

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
try some raisman chain on hl supply i have been hearing good things about the chains and they are cheaper than Oregon which must be expensive in Croatia
Oregon is the 3rd most expensive chain in my area behind Dolmar & Stihl.
Luckily Carlton has become available for about 2/3 the price of an Oregon loop - got some, but haven't tried them yet.

I got the TriLink loops off German eBay, thought they were priced quite cheaply at 13Euro per 72DL loop including shipping - that equals to 1/2 the price of an Carlton loop.
So far I think these chains are a mixed bag from a performance point of view - they have pros and con's.
I love them not getting dull cutting dirt infested logs!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you at least got some wear out of that chain!

Curious what your depth gauge offset measures.

Philbert
Checked with feeler gauges and a flat file over three teeth with the chain sitting in the bars groove.
Oddly came up with 0.5-0.6mm (.019-.023") with some going down to 0.8mm (.031") - I thought they'd be much lower.

I do realize this is not a proper/perfect way to check raker height, also since the loop is snapped I couldn't tension the chain to remove chain slack out of the equation.

For arguments sake I'd estimate the rakers to have an offset of about 1mm/.039" and it worked very nice like this - until it snapped.
Copy of P1030487.JPG Copy of P1030479.JPG Copy of P1030480.JPG
Copy of P1030481.JPG Copy of P1030483.JPG

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For comparison, and NO not a TriLink but a Oregon loop (figured out where that NIB Oregon loop I was missing is, LOL) !

Triangle tooth chain that most of You guys would have tossed long time ago, rakers down 0.7-0.9mm/.027-.035" , which would make it realistic ~1.1-1.3mm/.043-.051".
P1030489.JPG P1030491.JPG P1030495.JPG
P1030506.JPG P1030507.JPG

After measuring raker offset and making a few bucking cuts I took another 2-3 file strokes off of the rakers and the chain gained cutting performance.
The only issue I have with this kind of loop is that it makes a too narrow kerf and the bar likes to get stuck in large diameter wood.
You can see the rivet heads being polished from racing through the narrow wood kerf.
This loop pictured above bucked up two 20"-ish oak firewood logs yesterday - proof in form of video documentation made, just needs to be uploaded.

Dolmar and/or Oregon loops NEVER snapped on me before, they also stretch much less than the TriLink did.
I usually toss loops once there are no more teeth left standing after a "below ground level" stump removal.

Non the less, I am anxious to give the next TriLink loop a try! :)

By the way, that bar on my PS-6400 pictured in this post is 10 years old, happy anniversary and way to go! :b1: :banana:

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi!
Don't know the shop prices elsewhere, but in here in Finland those are ridiculous!! And you will not get chisel chains because it is not imported......?
All this is because one importer is representing blount.inc here! Stihl was more expensive, so oregon inporter decided to raise their product prices to same level. Great.......
That's why i'm getting my chains mostly from Germany, prices are more reasonable and you can actually choose the type of chain you want!
Some links:
Carlton

Oregon chisel

Oregon semi chisel

RV