tri link spotted at wally world

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not far off guy at work uses till done and buys a new one. He saves them though so I offered to sharpen them for 5$ each. Now I do them all the time and he said they cut better than a new out of package husky chain.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have bought several 'used-once-never-sharpened' loops off of eBay for very good prices.

Of course, the used STIHL chains often sell for more than new, once shipping is included!

Philbert

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a problem getting new Oregon or Carlton loops delivered to my door for $20.00 or less total, and that is from internet shopping with saw shops like Frawley's (love those guys!). I understand things are different outside the USA, but I don't know why anyone would buy chicom chain which may or may not work from a big box store for the same price once you add sales tax and gas for driving to the store. Unless, it's an emergency and you have no other chain to use? (Not likely with this crowd.)

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Chinese chains are only 3-5$ cheaper than the stihl ones on the other end of the isle. The only thing they’re doing is making couple more dollars on each sale. The Oregon was priced the same and even though they make less per sale I’m sure the tri link won’t sell anywhere near as good as Oregon.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First cut chain stretched like crazy, retentioned chain and made 7 more cuts in a frozen spruce. No self feeding and is starting to loose it’s edge already.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a couple Chinese chains. I have a metric ass ton of Oregon Windsor Carlton. Ect. I don’t dig the cheap stuff. I have heard better reviews from archer. I use archer rim sprockets. I keep those two Chinese loops as beaters

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a couple Chinese chains. . . I have heard better reviews from archer.
Archer is also made in China. Just to be clear, the Chinese are capable of making good stuff: Apple computers, big screen TVs, etc. Maybe the quality of their chains may improve? Feedback on these forums is the best way to know.

Philbert

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Archer is also made in China. Just to be clear, the Chinese are capable of making good stuff: Apple computers, big screen TVs, etc. Maybe the quality of their chains may improve? Feedback on these forums is the best way to know.

Philbert
The key to Chinese quality is usually directly related to the amount of constant hands on supervision given by the parent company.
8DCACA67-269B-4BB8-A1D1-5C957C1D63BA.jpeg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert
Agreed. That’s why I made special mention of the archer stuff. I haven’t tried any of thier chain but the next 105 driver loop I buy I may contact him. They seem to offer many different variations like skip and ripping type chain I feel like thier trying at least. I wonder where Oregon chain is made now??

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought most Oregon and Carlton are still in usa canada and Brazil. Some has made in China of us and Brazil components on box though. Yes Chinese can make good stuff but often times it has to do with price point or like was said lack of oversight. Although from what I’ve heard at the local shop the stihl fs38 weed trimmer is more problematic then the fs-40 and 50 which are supposed to have same engine. Fs38 is the only one made in the Chinese stihl plant and I think maybe quality control might not be as good as Virginia Beach or Germany.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First cut chain stretched like crazy, retentioned chain and made 7 more cuts in a frozen spruce. No self feeding and is starting to loose it’s edge already.

I claimed the same in previous posts.

For a factory-out-of-the-box chain they are disappointing!
With some time invested in modifying them they can become decent chains - question is how much is ones time worth.

By now I can get Carlton loops for an identical price as TriLink - from a homeowner firewood hack's point of view that gives Carlton a clear advantage.

I'm interested to read how that TriLink bar will hold up.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See how bar holds up but I think the trilink chains are done for me. This will be the last one just way to inconsistent in metal department. Some teeth could barely sharpen and others 2 strokes took as much or more off than 4 strokes on previous tooth. They way the chain is it will never have a good edge it’ll be mediocre at best. If bars as soft as some of the teeth it won’t last long either

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See how bar holds up but I think the trilink chains are done for me. This will be the last one just way to inconsistent in metal department. Some teeth could barely sharpen and others 2 strokes took as much or more off than 4 strokes on previous tooth. They way the chain is it will never have a good edge it’ll be mediocre at best. If bars as soft as some of the teeth it won’t last long either
I once tried an AM bar.
I purchased an "AMA Garden Italy" or just "ama" bar, not worth the steel it's made of.
Sparks kept flying as my Dolmar branded Oregon chain raced around it, within a couple tanks of fuel the bar was shot - the groove got V-shaped and the chain would flip-flop around cutting side ways.

Now, for reference how I use my saws and B&C's, I am still on my factory original Dolmar branded Oregon bar on my Dolmar PS-6400 which is in use since 2006.!
I did deepen the bars groove twice in the tail section because the chains DL's bottomed out.

As little bars as I require I best stick with what has proven itself.

Still, I'm interested to see how the bar will hold up/behave.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We will see, not real high hope seeing his chain is so far. Might have to try and grind rakers on my chain grinder to see if it’s just surface hard or all the way through.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well sharped chain on grinder since some of it was too hard to file. All depth gauges even side to side same as teeth. Cutting crooked, not real impressed grove seemed a little wide when new but I think it’s getting worse.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well sharped chain on grinder since some of it was too hard to file. All depth gauges even side to side same as teeth. Cutting crooked, not real impressed grove seemed a little wide when new but I think it’s getting worse.

If your cutters and depth gauges are all the same length/angles/height (regardless of how they were sharpened), and the saw is pulling to one side, chances are that you have a worn guide bar groove. Test it like this:
Guide Bar Wear Measurement.png
Or try swapping it with a new bar, using the same chain.

Philbert