Tree Monkey MS462 - PART 2

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s quite a few pretty intelligent saw builders that should hang out here but don’t. Ope is a pretty tight “ cliquy” group which is fine but doesn’t bode well for diversity.

Speaking of diversity, I've only been to the CT GTG to assess our demographic, but other than white, middle-class men, is there really much diversity in the chainsaw crowd?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are folks from around the world on this site, and from around the Country at the GTGs, including a few women. There are no barriers, so the rest does not matter. Everyone is welcome. Likely just fewer folks from the inner cities that run chainsaws.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why do people take 13500 coils and change them out for unlimited coils after porting.
For me it's mostly just ease of tuning, I don't think you gain much of anything in a work saw, but I could be wrong.[emoji111] Some coils do have different advance built in that seem to work well, the 346 coil for example.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There’s quite a few pretty intelligent saw builders that should hang out here but don’t. Ope is a pretty tight “ cliquy” group which is fine but doesn’t bode well for diversity. Nobody is at a loss so it don’t matter much, those builders don’t care they’re not here and OPE doesn’t care either.
I think that’s a pretty political correct way of putting it.... at least for me

I'm not a saw builder and don't even own a ported saw yet, but I haven't found OPE to be cliquey. Everyone seems to have made me feel welcome, even more so than at A/S to be honest, and that's even after being a member at A/S for well over a decade now.

Then again, maybe you're just referring to saw builders being cliquey with other saw builders...

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys hope to improve by hacking the controller or raising the rev limiter.

Well, my thinking was that, just as we're second-guessing the Stihl engineers on port timing and muffler back-pressure and everything else, we might be able to see some gains by changing how the saws are fed.

Surely there are some things in the software that wouldn't be there if it weren't for the EPA, don't you think? Also, if we're changing the ports and exhausts, isn't it likely that we might also want to change the carburetion, if for no other reason than to experiment?

Again, I'm not a builder, and know just enough to be dangerous, so take it FWIW, which ain't much.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me it's mostly just ease of tuning, I don't think you gain much of anything in a work saw, but I could be wrong.[emoji111] Some coils do have different advance built in that seem to work well, the 346 coil for example.

I really like those coils on 385/390.

Mtronic and auto tune are too low rpm hitting the wood while racing. Hard to overcome a 3-5k rpm difference in 8x8

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think there is a fast idle on the 261s. But I could be wrong.
Maybe it's the choke I am thinking of?

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few weeks back there were a few people on the site (US members) saying that the 462 would be on their dealer shelves after the first of the year....anyone had this happen yet?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought it was spring of 2019?