Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed's been in the performance business a long time and he's a real down to earth type a guy who still makes a living cutting wood with a saw.
He doesn't have to prove anything or need to learn something new, reason why he fits in over at the Forestry Forum.
Bigger reason is he's raising a couple of young boys and dedicates more time to his family then to a saw forum.
That's easier to do on a slow forum like Forestry Forum. He just pops in and posts every now and then.

And that's what I'm getting at. Let Ed do Ed and Scott do Scott.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think in time a hacker might be able to do something to open up these closed, proprietary systems of Stihl and/or Husqvarna. It happened with the cell phones, with DVD decoders, with the OBDII systems in cars, it just takes the right kind of guy who has a talent for that to also have access to his dad's saw to play with, and can build a cable to interface with the carb and start debugging the data stream as a fun little project, and then shares how we can all use a little app to read the info on the carb, reset the values, etc... then maybe someone else picks up where they left off to decode and change some bits in a firmware file and the Rev limit can be raised... Maybe one day.

I'm just wondering how we will all get along for the years in between then and now. When we lose some of the DIY capabilities we had with the older generation of saws, before it gets given back to the end users in these new generation of saws?

Hopefully it's only a minor inconvenience and not a major obstacle. Another question for you all to think about: if one system (Husky or Stihl) was "hacked" and open for dicking around, while the other was not and locked down, would you have a brand preference for which you would be buying?

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think in time a hacker might be able to do something to open up these closed, proprietary systems of Stihl and/or Husqvarna. It happened with the cell phones, with DVD decoders, with the OBDII systems in cars, it just takes the right kind of guy who has a talent for that to also have access to his dad's saw to play with, and can build a cable to interface with the carb and start debugging the data stream as a fun little project, and then shares how we can all use a little app to read the info on the carb, reset the values, etc... then maybe someone else picks up where they left off to decode and change some bits in a firmware file and the Rev limit can be raised... Maybe one day.

What we need is some Open Source software to reflash these chips with and then customize our tunes.

We need some code that does for chainsaws what FreeBSD and Linux did for UNIX...

Anyone figure out how to get a RaspberryPi to run a chainsaw?

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed should hang out over here and stuff since this is where a lot of saw builders are.
There’s quite a few pretty intelligent saw builders that should hang out here but don’t. Ope is a pretty tight “ cliquy” group which is fine but doesn’t bode well for diversity. Nobody is at a loss so it don’t matter much, those builders don’t care they’re not here and OPE doesn’t care either.
I think that’s a pretty political correct way of putting it.... at least for me

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a member here that was dissecting the mtronic code. Not sure what the status is, but he was very adept at the computer lingo. I will see if I can dig up that thread.
All depends on how Stihl made these EPROMS. If they can't be overwritten, then all this is for naught.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe max RPMs?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s quite a few pretty intelligent saw builders that should hang out here but don’t. Ope is a pretty tight “ cliquy” group which is fine but doesn’t bode well for diversity. Nobody is at a loss so it don’t matter much, those builders don’t care they’re not here and OPE doesn’t care either.
I think that’s a pretty political correct way of putting it.... at least for me

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I would like to think any other saw builders would be welcome here as long as they aren't crooks. They would need to be open minded and be willing to accept being challenged but I can only think it could be good for them too.

I'm sure Randy wouldn't be afraid of the competition more so of guys flaking out and not getting the jobs done or pulling a JMS. There has been an issue of saw builders disappearing or ripping people off and that could reflect poorly on OPE.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After a port job saws usually like that little bit higher rev band Mike. A little higher Sweet Spot.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After a port job saws usually like that little bit higher rev band Mike. A little higher Sweet Spot.
But not above the current rev limiter. I don't know what you guys hope to improve by hacking the controller or raising the rev limiter.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why do people take 13500 coils and change them out for unlimited coils after porting.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Mtronic saws have unlimited coils?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, to answer your question, the unlimited coils allow them to tune a saw properly in the traditional method. With M Tron / Auto Tune, there is no need to tune it, and as Brad says, it has no impact while in the cut. In other words, it is a wish with no real benefit.

I believe the computer programs, not the coils themselves, are the limiting factors on the M Tron saws. At a certain RPM, they retard the timing to keep your saw safe. As much as we may not like it, it likely extends the longevity of the saw.

Last edited: