Tree Monkey MS462 - PART 2

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
2:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't be doing any outdoor work when it's that cold! How does your saw run in that weather? You use a winter kit or carb heater? The oil must be like molasses.

The saws run fine when it’s cold, just a few things to remember when doing so. A winter kit and arctic model help for sure, even a bit of duct tape covering half your starter cover works in a pinch. Always keep your saw topped up with fuel, especially over night as you don’t want frost/water getting into your tank/fuel. I never bring my saws inside unless something major needs to be fixed, don’t need the heat causing extra moisture in your saw. Usually they get left in the bush. And at the end of the day I always run my saw in dry wood or just in the air to get any snow or moisture out of your bar tip and filled with chain oil. Nothing worst then a frozen, messed up bar tip first thing in the morning.

We use a winter grade chain oil but even then at -20 and below it gets pretty thick lol

Woody

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
About 1 second
That’s kind of disappointing, both 70 class saws. The 462 the latest and greatest technology but slower. This video definitely changed my thinking about the 462. I know Scott’s not done with the 462 yet, but how much gain can be left in it, probably not much.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s kind of disappointing, both 70 class saws. The 462 the latest and greatest technology but slower. This video definitely changed my thinking about the 462. I know Scott’s not done with the 462 yet, but how much gain can be left in it, probably not much.
Compare them stock and you will see the difference. But all the new technology and R+D is about reaching the EPA Requirements

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The good old 044/440, and the Hybrids, often under rated!

In fairness to the new 462, it should be more than 1/2 lb lighter, so still real great power/weight.

Can I ask about your #s on the 440?
There's gotta be more than just numbers to making a saw run like that.

Great work Scott

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my rhetorical question for Scott... the new 462 does a great job of achieving EPA mandates of minimizing emissions by chasing out spent exhaust gasses with fresh air instead of fresh charge. But the engine power is still a factor of supplying air and fuel. So what can we guess attributes the better performance of the older saw to?
Your experience:
a) more familiarity with the older design, while you're still learning where to make gains on the new saw?
Your port work / settings:
b) you can manually tune the carb closer to the edge than the m-tronic can?
c) more aggressive porting numbers, or higher static compression on the 440?
d) the 462 just isn't broken in yet?
The inherent design of the 462:
e) better timing numbers achievable on the 440 jug compared to what you can do on the 462 cylinder?
f) larger intake/larger carb/carb jets to supply more air/fuel on the old style saw?
g) cooling the cylinder from using fresh charge to chase out exhaust gasses instead of clean air to make it run cooler/better?

Again, great job to you, and also great job to Stihl engineers. I think we all get wrapped up in power gains sometimes, and it's important to remember, if you were to continue cutting the same number of 4 by 4 posts over and over again, the 440 might be a second faster through 12 beams, but I bet you'd cut more with the 462 on a tank of gas before it runs dry, than you would with 440. And if you keep cutting indoors, Scott, the noxious gasses should be reduced too. ;-)

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed Heard (EHP) recently bought a new MS462 and logging with it. He says he won't port it until he feels the rings are maximum fully seated. This gives him a comparison to his other stock saws.
He's making daily reports on it and after its first day he claimed the 462 had no more power then his well broke in stock 361/362s.

Last edited:

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed Heard (EHP) recently bought a new MS462 and logging with it. He says he won't port it until he feels the rings are maximum fully seated. This gives him a comparison to his other stock saws.
He's making daily reports on it and after its first day he claimed the 462 had no more power then his well broke in stock 361/362s.
Where does he post? I’d be curious to read his thoughts on the saw