Tree Monkey MS462 - PART 2

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed Heard (EHP) recently bought a new MS462 and logging with it. He says he won't port it until he feels the rings are maximum fully seated. This gives him a comparison to his other stock saws.
He's making daily reports on it and after its first day he claimed the 462 had no more power then his well broke in stock 361/362s.

That’s interesting, do you know what size bar he’s running?

Jason Egan did some logging with a stock one before porting and felt it would be real close to a 461.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Compare them stock and you will see the difference. But all the new technology and R+D is about reaching the EPA Requirements

Exactly. Most of the engineering advancements we have seen the last decade are forced upon the small engine companies to implement. And now that they have a solid means of allowing their machines to run as clean as the EPA wants them to, why not use the advantage to bring the porting more towards the aggressive side of things. One could argue wear and tear, but few small engine manufacturers actually insure their saws for such things. The warranties mainly cover manufacturing defects.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed Heard (EHP) recently bought a new MS462 and logging with it. He says he won't port it until he feels the rings are maximum fully seated. This gives him a comparison to his other stock saws.
He's making daily reports on it and after its first day he claimed the 462 had no more power then his well broke in stock 361/362s.

I'd be keen on Ed's opinion of the 462/572.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Jason Egan did some logging with a stock one before porting and felt it would be real close to a 461.

Let’s see if I can get this quote from Facebook to work.
This was after a week of solid use 3 to 4 gallons...

“Can’t believe I’m gonna say this, but from my LIMITED experience, 462 will do anything you need with a 28” bar! Not sure if I’ll need a 500? Lol!!”

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s kind of disappointing, both 70 class saws. The 462 the latest and greatest technology but slower. This video definitely changed my thinking about the 462. I know Scott’s not done with the 462 yet, but how much gain can be left in it, probably not much.

1 second in a 35 second cut means very little in real word cutting.
saw is lighter, better av system, clean air system, better fuel mileage, less hydrocarbons in your face, easy to work on.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1 second in a 35 second cut means very little in real word cutting.
saw is lighter, better av system, clean air system, better fuel mileage, less hydrocarbons in your face, easy to work on.

/\
This

I can already hear the internet going but, but, but..... Lol

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my rhetorical question for Scott... the new 462 does a great job of achieving EPA mandates of minimizing emissions by chasing out spent exhaust gasses with fresh air instead of fresh charge. But the engine power is still a factor of supplying air and fuel. So what can we guess attributes the better performance of the older saw to?
Your experience:
a) more familiarity with the older design, while you're still learning where to make gains on the new saw?
Your port work / settings:
b) you can manually tune the carb closer to the edge than the m-tronic can?
c) more aggressive porting numbers, or higher static compression on the 440?
d) the 462 just isn't broken in yet?
The inherent design of the 462:
e) better timing numbers achievable on the 440 jug compared to what you can do on the 462 cylinder?
f) larger intake/larger carb/carb jets to supply more air/fuel on the old style saw?
g) cooling the cylinder from using fresh charge to chase out exhaust gasses instead of clean air to make it run cooler/better?

Again, great job to you, and also great job to Stihl engineers. I think we all get wrapped up in power gains sometimes, and it's important to remember, if you were to continue cutting the same number of 4 by 4 posts over and over again, the 440 might be a second faster through 12 beams, but I bet you'd cut more with the 462 on a tank of gas before it runs dry, than you would with 440. And if you keep cutting indoors, Scott, the noxious gasses should be reduced too. ;-)

e and f

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ed says some of the bigger hardwood he's logging is in 36"-42" dbh so he has to be running at least a 25" b/c.
Last report he says its got a bit more kick back on the starter rope so rings must be setting in.
He said his 462 has the best Mtronic he has ever run.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He also had a 562 cutting with a stock 395 in 28" wood. Ed sure is good with chain and he sure knows how to run saws to get the most out of them. A stock 362 is not going to run with a 462 in anything other than foam wood IMHO.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Let’s see if I can get this quote from Facebook to work.
This was after a week of solid use 3 to 4 gallons...

“Can’t believe I’m gonna say this, but from my LIMITED experience, 462 will do anything you need with a 28” bar! Not sure if I’ll need a 500? Lol!!”

P.S. Apologies to Scott for discussing other people’s saws in his thread. Comments should have been reserved for a more general 462 thread...

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He also had a 562 cutting with a stock 395 in 28" wood. Ed sure is good with chain and he sure knows how to run saws to get the most out of them. A stock 362 is not going to run with a 462 in anything other than foam wood IMHO.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Yep he said his 562 will eat his new stock 462 but I teased him by saying his porting tools will fix the 462.
He says his stock 362's got over 50 tanks through them so makes sense they'd keep up with a out of the box 462.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep he said his 562 will eat his new stock 462 but I teased him by saying his porting tools will fix the 462.
He says his stock 362's got over 50 tanks through them so makes sense they'd keep up with a out of the box 462.
Where is Ed talking about this? Or is it a private conversation between you 2

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was just between me and Ed I would never share it, Lol.
We're both regular members over at Chainsaws Forestry Forum.
You can catch up on the latest over there.
Is there a thread on there where you guys are talking about it

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is there a thread on there where you guys are talking about it

There is a thread on Forestry Forum titled "462cm in Canada!" in the Chainsaw section. When I looked a few minutes ago, it was at the top of the page.

Edit - I read the comments by EHP and Willard in that thread that Willard is referring to in the above posts.