STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone over here have experience with the Walbro WA-2 diaphragm arrangement in an 031 application? Both Stihl and Walbro IPLs show both a pump diaphragm and what appears to be a check valve diaphragm (they call it a surge/suction chamber diaphragm) but the cover pegs will only accommodate the hole arrangement from one pump side diaphragm out of all the ones included with both the D10 and K10 WAT kits. There was only one in the carb when I pulled it apart and it didn't run for crap. Still doesn't after a USC bath and new kit with the same single pump diaphragm arrangement it had when I got it. Sorta stuck at the carb for the moment before diving further into it. Pressure/vac tested tight as a drum. New fuel line and filter. New condenser. Clean points at .016. Great spark. Fires right up. Just won't run for squat or idle. No spare carb handy for a comparison or I would have already done that.

TIA for any enlightenment as usual. If you're around @Glock37, I've read you know these inside and out and may be able to shed some light. Much appreciation for anyone who can. Thx.
WA-2.jpg

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone over here have experience with the Walbro WA-2 diaphragm arrangement in an 031 application? Both Stihl and Walbro IPLs show both a pump diaphragm and what appears to be a check valve diaphragm (they call it a surge/suction chamber diaphragm) but the cover pegs will only accommodate the hole arrangement from one pump side diaphragm out of all the ones included with both the D10 and K10 WAT kits. There was only one in the carb when I pulled it apart and it didn't run for crap. Still doesn't after a USC bath and new kit with the same single pump diaphragm arrangement it had when I got it. Sorta stuck at the carb for the moment before diving further into it. Pressure/vac tested tight as a drum. New fuel line and filter. New condenser. Clean points at .016. Great spark. Fires right up. Just won't run for squat or idle. No spare carb handy for a comparison or I would have already done that.

TIA for any enlightenment as usual. If you're around @Glock37, I've read you know these inside and out and may be able to shed some light. Much appreciation for anyone who can. Thx.

Ive always had the tilly on mine
Check impulse ?
Make sure you have the shim under carb on studs on right side

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the input. Good pulse and I'm getting fuel. Just not the right amount/ratio to air. Metering lever set flush to the metering circuit cover as it should be.

Shim??? Both Walbro and Tilly carbs bolt directly to the bulkhead like all other Stihls with an intake boot. No shim involved.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't give much advice on that carb .However I can tell about me rebuilding a carb on 042 Stihl and getting the spacer gasket on the wrong side of the diaphragm .That SOB frustrated me so bad I banished it to the shelf for about a year and a half .After I got over my mad on took me all of ten minutes to see the error of my ways .----Things happen .----

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I call it a brain fart especially due to the fact of the amount of carbs I had rebuilt prior .I'll add that to the three things almost everybody will do at least once .Cut the dirt,oil the gas tank and put a chain on backwards .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I add put a bar spacer on backwards to that list, or am I an isolated case of *pretty boyery?
Anyhoo, I checked the 032 that I have here. Dad gave it to me to part out, then decided he needed me to keep it just in case. It seems to be fairly complete, except literally ALL of the AV bushings are gone. So bad that the spark plug has broken part of the top cover.
It's got an Irish Tilly on it, so no help with the diaphragm problem. Did pull the carb for SAG, and it's got the standard impulse line to the metering side cover and the hard plastic elbow that sinks into the fuel line fitting. Makes me wonder if theres an issue with gaskets and that impulse port. A lot of the WA/WT series carbs pull impulse for the metering diaphragm through the intake block/boot. Possibly getting an air leak or blockage due to holes in the diaphragm there?
Just saying, recheck old gaskets against new ones to make double sure you didnt put the wrong one in.
Personal experience here.
Its REALLY easy to do.
Rule it out as many times as needed. Dont give that up as being a factor.
Most rebuild kits have different gaskets and diaphragms. They fit a variety of applications. Have had some that didnt cover the special one that I had.
Somehow I'm an attractor of "unicorns".

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well did you get the 051?

Not yet. I need to positively identify it first.
13fd87f3f7f71cbe8e14324c1d35c48e.jpg

1624b7515df1d1b4b98a0439b3239a96.jpg

d3f9b29c9d54cbb12f8f2d4e7abe1e03.jpg

6633f308a55b621bb6590115da369ccc.jpg

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most rebuild kits have different gaskets and diaphragms. They fit a variety of applications. Have had some that didnt cover the special one that I had.

Found the OEM Stihl supplemental kit with the additional 'suction chamber' diaphragm. NLA from Walbro but was included in older D and K10 WAT kits. Crap shoot if you'd actually get one these days. Would depend on the age of the kit.

s-l1600.jpg
Don't give up on that 032. Should be able to find anything it needs fairly cheap.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

6633f308a55b621bb6590115da369ccc.jpg
It’s an 051, smaller tank than the 075/076 and no auxiliary Oiler. May or may not have a compression release and the 075 has through studs length of cylinder with a nut holding the cylinder down. Also one of the newer 051’s since the oil fill is on the side like an 076 not on top like an 075

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found the OEM Stihl supplemental kit with the additional 'suction chamber' diaphragm. NLA from Walbro but was included in older D and K10 WAT kits. Crap shoot if you'd actually get one these days. Would depend on the age of the kit.

Don't give up on that 032. Should be able to find anything it needs fairly cheap.
I think a lot of the Oregon aftermarket carb kits have the extra diaphragm

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me know exactly what the diaphragm youre looking for looks like if you cant find it.
Ive got a couple of older WA/WT kits here that I saved. Would like to keep for the unicorns, but will share if you are in need. Better to see them get used than hold on to til they get unusable.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I tend to avoid the aftermarket kits on general principal. I'm fortunate to have an area OPE/Husky dealer who stocks tons of OEM (Walbro, Zama, Tilly) kits and usually has what I need going back to the old Tillys. If he doesn't, he'll get it for me pretty fast and usually just charges a little over cost.

Let me know exactly what the diaphragm youre looking for looks like if you cant find it.

The upper right diaphragm in post #1935. Should have that mini kit in my hands this yet morning. It was a Stihl supplement to a K10/D10-WAT which didn't necessarily always include the "suction chamber" diaphragm for their particular variant of the WA-2 pump cover. Would certainly be interested if you happen to run across any spares, though. TIA if you do.