Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see how that could happen. And you have plenty of other things to do, aside from babysitting a box full of bugs with your farm and other buisness ventures

I pre-ordered two more Nucs of a different breed. Gonna try again.
Banded Italian bees have been my favorite.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Banded Italian bees have been my favorite.

I liked their docile nature. Middle of summer I could walk right up to the hive and lift the lid in shorts and flip flops, and they never seemed to mind.

I ordered Carniolan hybrids from a local outfit, they seem to be popular up here from what they said. Supposed to be "gentle" as well...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sent 10 fatties to the packer yesterday. Someone is going to enjoy some tasty corn fed steaks soon.
View attachment 406136
We picked up a beef a couple of days ago from the slaughterhouse. She was about 4 years old, born twin to a bull calf, and had been on a grain diet for several months. The marbling in the ribeyes is some of the best I've seen.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We picked up a beef a couple of days ago from the slaughterhouse. She was about 4 years old, born twin to a bull calf, and had been on a grain diet for several months. The marbling in the ribeyes is some of the best I've seen.
They call that a free Martin or something or other?

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's awesome !! Finishing on a grain diet makes for some really nice marbling !! A big juicy ribeye is truly a thing of beauty when cooked properly :drooling:

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaned out the steer barn today. It’s a 40f February day so it was the logical thing to do. We call this Pen 6 as it’s the 6th pen in the barn lol. Also the largest at 40x40’.
IMG_0554.jpeg

Bob the cat makes short work of this crappy job 😏
IMG_0555.jpeg

Three FULL loads per pen is about the norm. This bigger wagon has cut down barn cleaning time from 7ish hours to under 5hrs. Can’t argue with that !!
IMG_0557.jpeg

Put the new poo by the rest of the poo in the poo palace.
IMG_0559.jpeg

The ribeyes like barn cleaning day. Everything is fresh again 😁
IMG_0558.jpeg

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaned out the steer barn today. It’s a 40f February day so it was the logical thing to do. We call this Pen 6 as it’s the 6th pen in the barn lol. Also the largest at 40x40’.
View attachment 406270

Bob the cat makes short work of this crappy job 😏
View attachment 406271

Three FULL loads per pen is about the norm. This bigger wagon has cut down barn cleaning time from 7ish hours to under 5hrs. Can’t argue with that !!
View attachment 406272

View attachment 406273

The ribeyes like barn cleaning day. Everything is fresh again 😁
View attachment 406274
Our barns can only get so big, due to not enough flat land. Nice operation you got there.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 406273

I think I just found a new nickname for work - "the poo palace" 😂

On a different note, I heard earlier this week that a guy was killed near me in a manure spreader accident. I don't know any details as to how, but he was only 27... had a big presence in the county fairs showing his cattle.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our barns can only get so big, due to not enough flat land. Nice operation you got there.
Thanks !! I started with a fairly hilly building site as well and would venture a guess at around 100,000yds of dirt moved to get things where they are. Having a dozer and scraper makes it a little easier to justify doing it but it still takes time lol.

I think I just found a new nickname for work - "the poo palace" 😂

On a different note, I heard earlier this week that a guy was killed near me in a manure spreader accident. I don't know any details as to how, but he was only 27... had a big presence in the county fairs showing his cattle.
Officially it’s a “stacking slab” but it goes by many names. The Manure Mansion, *s-word Shack, Poo Palace and most recently The White House. Hope that’s not too far off the path for this thread 😬

Any death in the community is felt far and wide especially when it’s a young person that is involved in such things. There are countless things that can unalive us in an instant everyday and I know I for one need to be more careful with lots of them. Sometimes you become complacent and it unfortunately catches up with you and we all feel the effects. Prayers for his family on the way.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gave the critters a nice bale of meadow hay. They chew through one a week in these two pens along with literal tons of corn.
IMG_0584.jpeg

Also mixed a couple loads of feed again. Not a lot of other farm stuff going on yet as it’s still too chilly.
IMG_0585.jpeg

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tighten up the exhaust leaks and fab up a large diameter (bout 14" o.d.) by six ft long glasspack for it ?
No fart cannon junk, totally looking for that deep "fhump" to it.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kiddos stand and make friends while I feed the ribeyes and take pictures of them 😂
IMG_0697.jpeg

Also got the skiddy trailer hooked up behind the little red wagon. Tomorrow I plan to go haul a bunch of brush and stumps out of a field and this way I only have to make one trip to the field with the equipment.
IMG_0694.jpeg

The D-Rings are mostly for show but they’re there so the chains don’t drag I guess. Gotta get some wiring and lights on the dump wagon to make it all flashy and such now.
IMG_0695.jpeg