Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240215_071133.jpgIMG_20240222_071136.jpg
If I feed in the morning close to the house, #40 will follow me up to the fence to get a few range cubes. She watches every day to see when I drive the tractor into the yard to get a couple bales for the next day. Going to work some this weekend, market is high and it's time to vaccinate and worm.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cousin went to a sale today to try & buy a couple bulls (Simmental/Angus). He said the first 20 or so bulls were bringing about $15k each. My brother said he didn’t bring one home.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cousin went to a sale today to try & buy a couple bulls (Simmental/Angus). He said the first 20 or so bulls were bringing about $15k each. My brother said he didn’t bring one home.
Why is beef so high right now, that is pretty ridiculous?

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother was watching the sale on the interweb & said he tried to get my cousin to by a few cow/calf pairs for $3k each but he didn’t buy them.

There are several around here buying more cows & or pairs.

I think the guberment paying to seed pasture is one driving force behind it. I will have to ask my brother about the details about the program.

I have to think the bubble is to burst at some point.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the price of fats has been decent lately more people are fattening heifers and not bringing as many in as replacements leading to fewer calves being born and ultimately a tighter supply.

The bulls they were looking at were breeding stock and bring good money. $15k is cheap depending on the lineage.

Last edited:

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the price of fats has been decent lately more people are fattening heifers and not bringing as many in as replacements leading to fewer calves being born and ultimately a tighter supply.

The bulls they were looking at were breeding stock and bring good money. $15k is cheap depending on the lineage.
Ok, that makes more sense. I was thinking beef, not breeding genetics. I am waiting on the bottom to drop out before replenishing my beef supply. Buy low right? Good luck with cattle gentlemen.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, that makes more sense. I was thinking beef, not breeding genetics. I am waiting on the bottom to drop out before replenishing my beef supply. Buy low right? Good luck with cattle gentlemen.
If you were closer I’d happily let you raid my freezers. Right now I’m grossing $1.60ish/lb live weight which after a bunch of fancy math equates to just shy of $5/lb for the actual meat you put in the freezer. That is for everything though …. Hamburger, steak, roasts, ribs and the whole works. We used to sell hamburger for $3/lb but have bumped up to $4/lb and no one has grumbled so far. People still come get 15-20 live animals a year to either butcher themselves or take somewhere and pay me what I’d get paid if I haul them to market.

I typically butcher the scrappy/runty ones to keep here as the big beautiful ones are what pay the bills lol.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you were closer I’d happily let you raid my freezers. Right now I’m grossing $1.60ish/lb live weight which after a bunch of fancy math equates to just shy of $5/lb for the actual meat you put in the freezer. That is for everything though …. Hamburger, steak, roasts, ribs and the whole works. We used to sell hamburger for $3/lb but have bumped up to $4/lb and no one has grumbled so far. People still come get 15-20 live animals a year to either butcher themselves or take somewhere and pay me what I’d get paid if I haul them to market.

I typically butcher the scrappy/runty ones to keep here as the big beautiful ones are what pay the bills lol.
I have been paying $3/lb hanging weight, plus kill bill, and about $.65/lb packaging. Kill bill has been about $125. Been over a year since I put one up. Only 2 of us here, and we netted 444 pounds packaged. Will continue to buy from local farmers, and would take you up on your freezer raid were i closer too.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Spot on. There ain't enough feeder calves to go around. We just sold our steers and was well pleased with the price.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spot on. There ain't enough feeder calves to go around. We just sold our steers and was well pleased with the price.
We sold 14 on Monday and I would have never believed the price. $2.55 to $3.05, steers and heifers. Moved some to my parents to keep for future butcher and dad is looking at going through and culling them because of the prices.

Only the Tony

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240228_070822.jpg
IMG_20240228_070826.jpg
IMG_20240228_070842.jpg
This one cost me $3500, AI out of MOGCK Entice. Will follow me around like a puppy waiting for some range cubes for a treat. Funny how something this size can walk up behind you without making a sound. Both the bulls I have are good disposition which makes working around them more relaxed.