The Official Farming Thread...

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks it’s been nice evenings the last couple of weeks the straw is bad this year short and
black like chaff not much good hay this year some good June hay but plenty of
haylage and silage

how is is your drought situation did you have much rain these last few weeks
Little bit over a inch
Not near enough but better than nothing

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started running some beans ( 500 acres ) for my brothers friend today, he was thinking we could knock them out in 2-1/2 days if things worked well…

The beans weren’t ready until about 10:30, the elevator is closing at noon today & isn’t open tomorrow so that plan has already taken a big hit.

I guess with trucks, carts, wagons & loaded combines we can have 6000bu. ready to go to town Monday.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And we are shut down as the beans are too wet. A fella at the elevator did open up so we could dump 2 trucks. Typical cluster fook, guys get all rammy & then the chit isn’t ready.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20230930_125539.jpg
Rolled a few yesterday, should be able to knock out the rest in a couple of hours today. Only second cutting because of lack of moisture this year. I may do some thinking about when we cut next year to try for three. If for no other reason than to sell some. Prices are stupid again this year. I really think because of the shortage last year that drove up the prices, people think that in a good year they can sell high this year as well. Just like most things, price can jump overnight but takes a long time to return to a normal level.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might as well pour it on the ground in front of your sight in target. Any driers in your area?
I have one. It’s a batch drier but it works good. Just slow. Not something you wanna try to dry every load w. Dry 20000 bushel a year. Or in that neighborhood. Put combine back in shed. I’ll try soon. Good weather coming this week

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did it twist over time, or did you find something the brush hog didn't approve of?
Think a little of both. Last straw was hitting a couple of ruts in field and dropping blades onto the dirt between them. Twisted/broke the u-joints and the yokes on the front shaft as well. Didn't realize the shaft was twisted until reassembly time. Luckily just a Weasler trilobe setup so I think we can just get the internal shaft locally.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got some garlic planted a couple of weeks ago. We slightly increased the number of cloves planted from 53 last year to more than 130 this year. I am surprised at how quickly we are using the crop planted in '22. This years batch has rooted well already and it's sprouts are starting to poke through in spots. Last years batch didn't seem phased by the early growth this spring.
We tried a couple of planting methods, most all 3-4" deep to the bottom of the clove, and then covered with about 6" of straw. Cloves are 3.5 to 4" apart with most single lane rows being 5" apart. The ziz-zag rows are a bit closer together.
Varieties in the ground are Chesnok Red, Armenian, German, and Music for the '24 harvest
20230921_Armenian2023.jpg20230921_MusicZZ.jpg20230921_Music2023Planting.jpg

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just starting to roll corn. Broke a spring on tractor trailer today. The truck itself. Froeghtliner fl112. Any of you fellas ever work on big trucks. I’ve never broken a spring on one so not exactly sure what’s gotta happen here.

Gotta get the trailer dumped. It’s home in yard gonna put the corn in our tank so no big deal on that end. Just not sure how big a job that might be. Haven’t looked at it yet. Just knew truck wasn’t driving right so I limped home in it

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just starting to roll corn. Broke a spring on tractor trailer today. The truck itself. Froeghtliner fl112. Any of you fellas ever work on big trucks. I’ve never broken a spring on one so not exactly sure what’s gotta happen here.

Gotta get the trailer dumped. It’s home in yard gonna put the corn in our tank so no big deal on that end. Just not sure how big a job that might be. Haven’t looked at it yet. Just knew truck wasn’t driving right so I limped home in it
Way outside of my wheelhouse.