High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The most "Overrated" saw you own/owned ?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
11:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Overrated saw... Goin to have to say Stihl
There pretty much all overrated... Unless they have been ported.
But stock Stihl are overrated.

Swung by the local pawn shop yesterday. Stihl 290.... absolutely beat to crap for $300, a ms390 in better shape for $400....and a decent echo cs440 for $90. Dollar for dollar pound for pound Stihls are way over rated here. To be fair they had a couple Husqvarna 240s, both used for $175. Have seen them cheaper new and most reviews are not so good.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swung by the local pawn shop yesterday. Stihl 290.... absolutely beat to crap for $300, a ms390 in better shape for $400....and a decent echo cs440 for $90. Dollar for dollar pound for pound Stihls are way over rated here. To be fair they had a couple Husqvarna 240s, both used for $175. Have seen them cheaper new and most reviews are not so good.
If a saw says FARMBOSS and has a two or three foot blade it’s one bad mofo.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any saw that won't start hot is overrated full stop! I never seem to remember the internet fix for saws that don't start hot is it face North stand on one leg clap 3 times and if that don't work buy the orange fuel filter and grey coil or maybe that was black coil that starts with number 00976... or was that face South and star jump 1st? meh lol
tenor (4).gif

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any saw that won't start hot is overrated full stop! I never seem to remember the internet fix for saws that don't start hot is it face North stand on one leg clap 3 times and if that don't work buy the orange fuel filter and grey coil or maybe that was black coil that starts with number 00976... or was that face South and star jump 1st? meh lol
View attachment 187233

I've had plenty stills over the years and never had a problem getting one started ......;)
Oops I think I ment stihls ......:risas3:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 187233
It's been covered to death, set the fast idle. Viola... Never once had an issue refiring our 550 when hot at work with the fast idle set.

But it sounds like some issues have been/are being addressed in the 572 and 550 MkII designs.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had plenty stills over the years and never had a problem getting one started ......;)
Oops I think I ment stihls ......:risas3:
Lol
I have had all kinds of hot start problems in summer 38+ heat but found it to be the fuel not the saws I run ultimate or vortex 98 in summer now it mustn't have ethanol in it yet.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been covered to death, set the fast idle. Viola... Never once had an issue refiring our 550 when hot at work with the fast idle set.

But it sounds like some issues have been/are being addressed in the 572 and 550 MkII designs.
My hot start issues was fuel related switching fuel in summer solved this for me.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 187233
I always thought that if a saw wouldn't hot start, you grabbed a different one.
It's always worked for me.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought a mistake I made getting 661c, cylinder port, mm. The can was empty, gasket matched to both sides but the seller left that 1 hole in the cover alone. Once that was taken care of and close to 40 small holes drilled in the face of the cover it out ran the only saw bought new, ms-460 mm maxflo by enough to keep it from being thrown. In the midst of milling a maple w/up to 60" bar, a few months ago, it hit the right number of tanks thru and came to life.
So I gotta get another to send to redfin, I believe, to have a stroker while I can still handle :pesas:that size of alaskan mill. Just in case there is a 72" bar hanging on a nail thru the chain waiting for a reason.
Thanks for telling me that I let others have some saws at auctions;) that woodent be good for my attitude

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know what Masson.
The overall design in putting a carb and airbox as a isolated unit, then connecting it to a cylinder and crankcase with a flexible boot allowing for the AV movement seems likely to give possible issues of over taxing the boot. There seems to be a direction with many saw makers to go back to or change to putting the carb /airbox/intake/cylinder all mounted on the crankcase doing away with the gator style flexible boot. Making the motor as a cohesive unit and then isolating it with the AV components is something I personally favour ...Who ever .. makes it . :)

Yes, well past time to get rid of those Damn boots. My Echoes have a phenolic block between carb and jug. Ive always had a suspicion that the boots can cause tuning weirdness if they are not made quite right or a bit twisted.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
346..... didn’t like the first one.... thought it was a dud so got a different one.....didn’t have that one long either. Very disappointed in them.... I’ll keep running my 5105’s for a small saw!!
Same here I've had a few and worked on a lot of them
Never was impressed
Guy's say you have to have it ported
*B-S.....
I've never had anyone bring me a ported saw to work on.
I have a 257 and a ms261 for small stuff.
I like the 5105 but whoever designed that damn assisted start needs kicked dead in the balls.
It makes for one uncomfortable sonofabitch to start.
Same with any assisted start.