High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The most "Overrated" saw you own/owned ?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to Lowe's today to pick up a gift for dad and looked at their saw section for laughs. They had the plastic 450 Rancher for $409.00. That's about what the CS-590 goes for. Rural King wants even more than that for the equivalent Farm Boss. I can understand buying the 235/240/MS-170 for under $200.00, they seem to do well for the price and intended market.

Thing is, a 50-60cc saw for over four bills isnt really an occasional light duty proposition like those small saws are. If you are buying a saw of that size you probably are cutting some pretty big stuff with it, and putting a fair number of hours on it. For this use, I don't think you are really getting a good deal or doing yourself any favors by purchasing what is nothing more than an oversized casual use machine for really not much less cost than a proline saw.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a saw snob. I don't even really cut that much. It just irks me when a manufacturer charges a lot for something that isnt really worth it, and people fall for it. If the Rancher and Farm Boss prices actually reflected the value received for the money (like the smaller saws do), I wouldn't have a problem with them.

They gotta pay for all that advertising some how.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had a husky feel like a stihlturd in the wood...

I’d add a ms261 and 064 to the non turds.

I LOVE a husky, never cared for a 262xp though, I liked my 254xp more, I think the springs were sloppy and I hated that they used the crappy plastic clutch cover on the 262xp, I swapped it for an early 254 mag cover. And the air filter snap locks were awful [emoji23]

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
346xp NE? That thing feel heavy in my hand for such a small package... Compare to my 462.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Odd I see a lot of complaints about spring AV in this thread, yet all the newer saws coming out seem to be spring, even Stihl has finally went that direction. Maybe it's just what guys get used too. We all know people don't like change. Personally I don't want a saw without spring, but I will admit I am a husky/jred guy and they have been using them since the early 1990s or so.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Odd I see a lot of complaints about spring AV in this thread, yet all the newer saws coming out seem to be spring, even Stihl has finally went that direction. Maybe it's just what guys get used too. We all know people don't like change. Personally I don't want a saw without spring, but I will admit I am a husky/jred guy and they have been using them since the early 1990s or so.

When did you become a husky guy ?

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And places like OPE, sawhawgz, aboristsite, forestry fourm, the hearth, chainsaw repair forum ..... don’t help matters.
I have found that 99% of people who actually make a living 8+ hours a day never heard of these sites around my parts. The biggest industries in my town is 2 major paper mills. These saws mentioned would do what they are intended to do as far as these loggers are concerned.. Let a major saw porter say they had a homelite xl-12 that would scream and overnight the xl would be the new rage.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every maker of saws has its hits and misses. Husky has a better AV system in my opinion, but Stihl has a better intake system in my opinion too. Maybe thats why Husky went with the boot instead of the block? Everybody is constantly copying what works off the other in pursuit of the saw that will revolutionize the market. I own Huskies, Jreds, Poulans, and Stihls. I like what I like and I dont like what I dont like. Has no bearing on what anybody else likes or doesnt like. But I hope that I never come to the point that I like one brand of saw over another exclusively. I'm a tinkerer and enjoy running saws for awhile before I form my opinion of them. Not just run em once and say that saw sucks. That aint worth nothin in my opinion. I used to be a Stihl man because that by far is whats predominantly around me. But the more I've become a mechanic and user the more I can appreciate the functionality and ease of repair over certain saws. The more I can appreciate what the saws I like are why I like em compared to who they are made by....

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have found that 99% of people who actually make a living 8+ hours a day never heard of these sites around my parts. The biggest industries in my town is 2 major paper mills. These saws mentioned would do what they are intended to do as far as these loggers are concerned.. Let a major saw porter say they had a homelite xl-12 that would scream and overnight the xl would be the new rage.
What mills?
I work in printing

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think the husky boot design is less likely to rip should one pinch the saw and pull on it. Not that I’d recommend prying on a saw. Lol
You know what Masson.
The overall design in putting a carb and airbox as a isolated unit, then connecting it to a cylinder and crankcase with a flexible boot allowing for the AV movement seems likely to give possible issues of over taxing the boot. There seems to be a direction with many saw makers to go back to or change to putting the carb /airbox/intake/cylinder all mounted on the crankcase doing away with the gator style flexible boot. Making the motor as a cohesive unit and then isolating it with the AV components is something I personally favour ...Who ever .. makes it . :)

Last edited: