Stihl M-Tronic Version 3.0

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mason, I'm not the expert, but my take on M Tronic - resets is to only do it if you have to. If your saw does not have major issues, leave it be.

My 362 is an early M Tron, I have not updated it, and it seems to run like a top! Went through some hiccups along the way, but seems to have ironed them out.

But I think if you get your saw ported when new, like my 261, it is smooth sailing.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally got an official answer from Stihl about a version 3 'reset' procedure. Unlike v1 / v1.1 where you start the saw and leave it in triangle position for 60~90 secs then shut it down to clear the coil, v3 is just a repeat of the initial two step calibration procedure. The 30~60 secs in triangle position clears the previous settings and re-establishes the low adjustment again. Then full throttle until it finishes searching and hits WOT for 8~10 secs then settles back down to intermediate revs. Then let off the throttle to an idle and that's it. Don't rely on a stop watch for the second step. Just wait until it hits WOT for that 8~10 seconds, settles back down, and then release the trigger to idle. Done. Doesn't get much simpler.

Just re-calibrated the 661 in the vid and it's a whole different saw now. Was definitely not right from screwing up the top end adjustment and going to WOT twice in the second step.

Also heard that v3 362's are here but upgrades for earlier versions require a new v3 carb/solenoid along with a coil. Supposedly another solenoid is being developed for earlier carbs that will be compatible with any of the software versions. Just chatter from a well informed source and nothing I'd bank on just yet, tho.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So for a 261cm version 1 I follow these steps or the old method?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old method..., which as I understand it is 60~90 secs in triangle position to clear the coil and then switched directly to off without blipping the throttle. Then go through the regular calibration procedure. Still don't know how ya'd do that without breaking the control lever but have seen it in a video. I'll try to dig it up again.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you sir.
So in order to retrofit a version 1 mtronic to version 3 I would need the new solenoid and new coil?
I wonder if it is worth it?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No reason to upgrade if it's running well already. Not sure what's actually available v3-wise for the 261 in the states yet (if anything)
anyway. I believe the universal solenoid is the main issue right now for v3 upgrades of saws other than the 362 or 661, both of which have new carbs with next gen white solenoids in their "new" versions. The "universal" next gen solenoid will be multi-platform compatible software-wise for all pre-v3 carbs. New v3 solenoids will not fit pre-v3 carbs.

It's my understanding that all v3 coils are intended to be backward compatible with all solenoids.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhh. OK. Thank you for all the insight! Very informative.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
462 will be bigger,better ,stronger , faster

I'd wait to see how well its gonna take the abuse of a 28"-32" bar with a gallon or 2 of fuel a day by the guys on the west coast before I'd assume that..if it can survive that it should be a ringer.

Last edited: