M-tronic smokes, fumes etc.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While trying to read and learn from forums regarding Stihl mtronic and especially for my 661 though all of them are mtronics i ve read (rumors, gossip?) that they don’t work at smoke that’s why Stihl has the 461 as an old school hard work saw.

I ve discovered the WRONG way that M-tronic not only works but it’s a beast at the latest firestorm i faced.

Facts:
Temperatures: who knows. Wind ripping at 130km/h transferred flames and smoke more than “blazing”...

The stock 661 C-M ripped pinewood and even went through 3 burning punes with my RD3 chain. Chain almost new, round filled just once by myself. Instead of filled read “touched” by me after some cuts. So consider nothing special about it almost factory.

I wonder who’s the guy who claims such saw as 661cm wouldn’t work.

But most of all who really believes he can tune with screwdriver an old school saw at such MAYHEM!!! With fires, sirens, people screaming and aircraft/helicopters flying above heads he can “hear” the saw tuned.

I ve lived in reality something that “private tests” can’t simulate... i am an advocate of testing that leads to conclusions but after this situation i am a firm believer to just let the tell their fairy tale. M tronic works. I hope i had a modded saw cause in that conditions you ask of the max power you can get, seconds yes seconds not minutes are a life or death delay.

Thank God STIHL changes every tool to M tronic technology so screwdrivers will take their place as in house tools.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you are safe and capable of helping do what you can in such mayhem. Also glad your saw kept working. I know people have had problems here. Wonder if it was from prolonged use in those conditions or something they experienced right away. Also wonder if there's any differences in the saws to satisfy our EPA that make them less capable of handling the smoke. Just thoughts though, maybe someone who knows more than myself will come along and have some input.

Important part is you are safe... cheers.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you are safe and capable of helping do what you can in such mayhem. Also glad your saw kept working. I know people have had problems here. Wonder if it was from prolonged use in those conditions or something they experienced right away. Also wonder if there's any differences in the saws to satisfy our EPA that make them less capable of handling the smoke. Just thoughts though, maybe someone who knows more than myself will come along and have some input.

Important part is you are safe... cheers.
Thank you very much for your interest.

I live in Greece and most of the “engineers” met during years always had more respect at “mafe in USA” products.

I believe it’s a myth or gossip but actually one of them told me the american edition saws looked stronger.

I understand EPA is an “ecological restriction” but not sure if any difference apply.
That should be a very interesting test to performed by people who could have in their hands a European and American edition model and also the knowledge to conduct such research.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am glad that someone is having luck with there 661, I've had nothing but trouble! I use my saws a few times a week quite a bit to cut. I guess not all 661's are created equal. The one that I have is 2 years old and has been back to the dealer 7 times in those 2 years. When it will start and I can get it to run I love it and it's an animal.

I've had I think 4 fuel solenoid mixing valves put on it and that only fixed the problem for a month or so at best. Then I started reading on the forum and it was brought to my attention that there is many different series of coils that were produced for this saw. I keep all of my saws very clean I blow them off with compressed air after ever use so it's not a dirty air filter of an air flow issue.

After a little over a year with problems I asked that they put all of the updated M-tronics on my saw it ran great for a little over 8 months with no issues what so ever! Then it started again. I couldn't get it to start for two weeks, I must have tried almost 100 times in those two weeks and nothing! I took it to the saw shop where I bought it and they said that they just put gas in it (I always dump my gas out after each use when I put it away because it leaks out) and it fires right up. I picked it up started it there it ran fine. Went down the road after that to do some cutting and about an hour later it would not start! I tried several times that evening and nothing! It did however start the next day and I used it just fine. So looking to do something else to fix the problem.

The dealer told me that every single 661 that he has sold has been back numerous times because they won't start or run.

My Stihl saws from the 70's and 80's never had an issues st all in any conditions!

Sorry for the rant! They must have made other changes and took care of the issues of so I'd like to know what it is!

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am glad that someone is having luck with there 661, I've had nothing but trouble! I use my saws a few times a week quite a bit to cut. I guess not all 661's are created equal. The one that I have is 2 years old and has been back to the dealer 7 times in those 2 years. When it will start and I can get it to run I love it and it's an animal.

I've had I think 4 fuel solenoid mixing valves put on it and that only fixed the problem for a month or so at best. Then I started reading on the forum and it was brought to my attention that there is many different series of coils that were produced for this saw. I keep all of my saws very clean I blow them off with compressed air after ever use so it's not a dirty air filter of an air flow issue.

After a little over a year with problems I asked that they put all of the updated M-tronics on my saw it ran great for a little over 8 months with no issues what so ever! Then it started again. I couldn't get it to start for two weeks, I must have tried almost 100 times in those two weeks and nothing! I took it to the saw shop where I bought it and they said that they just put gas in it (I always dump my gas out after each use when I put it away because it leaks out) and it fires right up. I picked it up started it there it ran fine. Went down the road after that to do some cutting and about an hour later it would not start! I tried several times that evening and nothing! It did however start the next day and I used it just fine. So looking to do something else to fix the problem.

The dealer told me that every single 661 that he has sold has been back numerous times because they won't start or run.

My Stihl saws from the 70's and 80's never had an issues st all in any conditions!

Sorry for the rant! They must have made other changes and took care of the issues of so I'd like to know what it is!

While the thread is for a “myth” of not working in fire.

I ll testify that my 2016 model 661 cm never had any starting problem. Only thing i had was an oil pump that the dealership change for free.

I love my toys but most situations I don’t have time to clean them daily or after work. Filter: well just a quick shake and back in place. No problems at all.

Got all my tools M tronic.

Yesterday cut a tree. Had to limb and slice with both my 661 and 261cm. Put 4-5 tanks each.All they asked was more fuel! Temperature was like 36 degrees celcius typical for Greek Summer.

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You mentioned you dump the fuel after each use because it leaks out anyway. I have never experienced any 2 stroke leaking while sitting unless something was wrong. If it has a leaky fuel system maybe that’s the problem? I don’t know but just a suggestion you might look into.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You mentioned you dump the fuel after each use because it leaks out anyway. I have never experienced any 2 stroke leaking while sitting unless something was wrong. If it has a leaky fuel system maybe that’s the problem? I don’t know but just a suggestion you might look into.

Yes it always seems to seep out around the gas cap with all of my saws except one or two. I even got new gas caps and it still does it. One day I had my 041 super sitting in the heat at a GTG (full of fuel) when I went to start it it about ripped my fingers off. Took out the spark plug and just the cylinder was completely full of gas! Dumped the gas out of the cylinder let it dry out for a few minutes and it fired right up. So that's another reason that dump the fuel out. I assume that the heat caused pressure to build up and forces the fuel though the carb into the cylinder.

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have never cared for the stihl caps myself. I too have had a lot of problems with them leaking over the years. I was thinking it may be leaking from somewhere else which could cause a problem. I have never experienced anything as bad as you described with heat causing increased compression but I have gotten a face full of gas a number of times when going to refill in the heat.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never cared for the stihl caps myself. I too have had a lot of problems with them leaking over the years. I was thinking it may be leaking from somewhere else which could cause a problem. I have never experienced anything as bad as you described with heat causing increased compression but I have gotten a face full of gas a number of times when going to refill in the heat.

That's the only time that particular instance that has happened with the cylinder filling up with gas.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:firedevil:
That's the only time that particular instance that has happened with the cylinder filling up with gas.

Seems you are having enough problems with this specific 661.
You can always GIFT it to me and save yourself the trouble

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I think I am going to hold on to it for right now. I am in the middle of a mod right now that will and should correct all issues!

Turbo & direct injection is the trick you are looking for

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How would I do that? Just curious as to what you had in mind!