Stihl M-Tronic Version 3.0

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They'll be carbureted M-Tronic from what I understand. May be an i version somewhere down the road, but I've heard or read nothing indicating a conventional carb version will be offered. And you're right. The proof will be in how well they hold up under hard core professional conditions for what they actually put out. There's a lot o' saw there for it's weight and profile. Just don't see how it can be anywhere near as rugged as an 044 or 046 and survive the same kind of abuse those saws can..., let alone hold together over time putting out its advertised power day in and day out.

Only time will tell.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you guys. I was just getting all the Hooskie guys fired up!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Materials keep getting lighter and stronger, especially in the areas of cranks and rods, some of the heaviest pieces on a saw. Also, it is possible to build bearings with harder surfaces and more precise tolerances.

So I don't see any reason why a modern saw can not be substantially lighter than one designed + built in the 80s, and still be just as durable (or perhaps, even more durable).

Rotating assemblies in cars have improved so dramatically it is unreal. I'm sure some of the technology has trickled down.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So today the 661 I’ve been using wasn’t in the mood to start. Lol. I was pretty annoyed after pulling it 15 times. I resorted to holding throttle wfo and pulling to get it to start. It was pretty grumpy restarting the rest of the day and I ended up using the 394 to cut wood. When I got home I looked into the resetting process and reset it. We’ll see if the problem goes away.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like it flooded, and like any other saw, once flooded, they are hard to start.

Were all 15 pulls in the "start" position??? Maybe note to self, after 5 or 6 pulls, put it in run!

Hope it clears up Mason. 362 gave me some problems like that a long time ago (when Bob still had a GTG), but has been real good the last couple of years. Never changed anything.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So today the 661 I’ve been using wasn’t in the mood to start. Lol. I was pretty annoyed after pulling it 15 times. I resorted to holding throttle wfo and pulling to get it to start. It was pretty grumpy restarting the rest of the day and I ended up using the 394 to cut wood. When I got home I looked into the resetting process and reset it. We’ll see if the problem goes away.

Man, that's really weird...I never heard that before..

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was only hard to start the first time, my money would be on a significant temperature change since the last time it was fueled. Fuel heats up and tank pressure overcomes the inlet needle and floods it. But after the first start it should have been back to normal really.

Buddy of mine brought me a TS420 back in winter cause it wouldn't start and he needed it that day. It had set out all night and was cold so he set it in front of a torpedo heater to warm it up for a few minutes. He succeeded lol. Fuel heated up so much it pushed about half the tank of fuel into the motor, air filter and airbox. Air filter was literally dripping with fuel.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, that's really weird...I never heard that before..
Yup, exactly like you were describing your issues were. It was happening every time went to start it, it was maybe a 15 degree change in temp since it last ran. Not even a “pop” like it does usually. I’m wondering if the tank vent or solenoid crapped out. Have you found a solution yet?

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other thing I'm anal about with my M Tronic saws is not letting them run out of fuel.

I think when they run dry it F s with the computer, and they are not right after that.

I may be all wet, but that's my 2 cents!
I think I notice the same thing with 562/2253. Bob was saying it can trigger a airleak code on autotune. I would think they are more sensitive if they are modded and use more fuel to begin with as well?

Last edited:

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The MS 462 is also without m-tronic availible, but only in some markets of the world. For examble Russia.
My dream 462 will be manual carby wrap handle and of course woods ported ,very interested to see if it lives up to all the hype only time will tell as already stated in previous posts

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The other thing I'm anal about with my M Tronic saws is not letting them run out of fuel.

I think when they run dry it F s with the computer, and they are not right after that.

I may be all wet, but that's my 2 cents!
Ough good Mike Iam glad Iam not the only one who thinks like that :)

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, exactly like you were describing your issues were. It was happening every time went to start it, it was maybe a 15 degree change in temp since it last ran. Not even a “pop” like it does usually. I’m wondering if the tank vent or solenoid crapped out. Have you found a solution yet?

In defense of mine the guy I got it from ran the balls out of it so it had some serious time on it.

My 201 is back at it today..no warm start.

I'm gonna throw it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF. Just asking here. Do you let the saw idle for 10 to 15 seconds prior to shutting it off?
Someone said it makes a big difference in hot starting.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In defense of mine the guy I got it from ran the balls out of it so it had some serious time on it.

My 201 is back at it today..no warm start.

I'm gonna throw it.
I’m gonna run the fookn pizz out of the 661 today. It fired up 3rd pull this morning after the reset last night. This hopefully worked...

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF. Just asking here. Do you let the saw idle for 10 to 15 seconds prior to shutting it off?
Someone said it makes a big difference in hot starting.

I don't have time to play that game when I gotta cut and chuck...I'm not gonna just hang out for 15 seconds after each cut and wait to shut my saw off..that's retarded.

You know how many times that saw gets started and shut off in a day ?

It shouldn't even be an issue, if you are playing chainsaws at a GTG or dickin' off cutting firewood those things are all well and good.

I HATE this 201.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have time to play that game when I'm cutting and I gotta throw a branch.

It shouldn't even be an issue, if you are playing chainsaws at a GTG or dickin' off cutting firewood those things are all well and good.

I HATE this 201.
I kind of hate working on tophandle saws in general. If I were to buy one it would be a echo. Not the fastest or best in class but they seem to just start and work. No electric carbs either.