So what's your "real" job?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never mind craftsmanship, Rembrandt's of knife making! I'm very impressed.

I know from discussing the Samurai swords with my Aunt & Uncle the attributes of Damascus steel that are not present in other metal blades. Very difficult (and labor intensive) to do but it results in a blade that is far superior to others.

Many of those swords have survived for hundreds of years, and still have razor sharp edges.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Condom tester.
Second best job

Testing the flavors?
worst job

I'm a Walmart greeter
Best job

Sheep inspector.
whaaaaat...

Motivational Speaker, Life Coach, and Spiritual Guide…………when I'm not being a sarcastic bastard, and making up nicknames for ol' Lawn Dart Legs @Mastermind.
Say it ain't so?

Killing trees for solar power. Ironic ain't it.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to have a Sunfish knife, however my tree guy budget only allows a Kershaw. My wife is a physical therapist so maybe a Sunfish is in the future one day.[emoji1]
Kid I went to College with is now a custom knife maker. He was,shall we say a unique individual. I'm trying to figure out how it came to pass that I can't afford his work.

CTYank

Killer of Invasives
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Retired, but finding exercise and the odd truckload of wood on close to 1000 acres of preserves and trusts down in the CT Panhandle, cleaning storm damage and invasives, fixing others' saws that dealers render impractical and reworking chain used for rototilling. Retired from working as computer consultant, programmer, dba, network engineer, shoulder to cry on. Previously paid bills by work as toolmaker, assembler of industrial machinery, machinist, welder, yada, yada ... Retired earlier after 20, from USN. Anything but boredom.
Seeds were sown by working as a groundie and chipper-feeder on 3-man line-trimming crew, college summers, here @ 16:1 in Homelite country.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Embedded software engineer with an electronic engineering background. Lived on a small family farm growing up and learned to fix things - had to, there was no money for new stuff. Burned wood all my life (ok not while I was in the Army) and it is our primary heat source. 18 acres of woods - more than enough for a lifetime.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a fact and my back doesn't kill me all the time.
I had a good buddy that had liver failure at the age of 27. I believe his poor practices at the body shop he grew up in and worked in as an adult was a big factor in his death. It's a fact that a lot of body men don't grow old.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kid I went to College with is now a custom knife maker. He was,shall we say a unique individual. I'm trying to figure out how it came to pass that I can't afford his work.

My best friend from college is also a knife maker and a member of the Guild. The late Ron Frazier was one of his mentors when he got started.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My best friend from college is also a knife maker and a member of the Guild. The late Ron Frazier was one of his mentors when he got started.
Don't know if Gene is in the Guild but he is right there on the Arkansas/Oklahoma line where a bunch of those guys are from.

MasterMech

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm an industrial mechanic with one of the major US jet engine manufactuers. Not the one that also makes dishwashers and refrigerators. I don't work on the engines but on specialized industrial machinery that is used to manufacture coatings on all those hot parts inside. Tbey keep me plenty busy!

In a past life I was a farm kid, started working on OPE for a local Deere dealer and graduated to light construction equipment. (Skids, mini-ex's, compact tractors and the like). Did a little work on a golf course and moved into my current job.