So what did you do today?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used a lot of different calibers over the years, including 348, 270, 270 WSM and 300 Win Mag, but have settled on using the 30-06.

I have both a Ruger American Rifle with a Nikon 3X9 scope, and a Model 95 (Browning Repro) with a Williams peep. They both shoot very well.

I gave my beautiful Win 70 Fwt in 270 to my brother, and he still uses it.

But it is not gun season yet, and today I took this with my Cross Bow from a climbing tree stand.

Antlers were "fair" but had a good body, about 140 lbs dressed. It is the 4th year in a row I have taken a deer after going w/o for 2 years. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20191108_190445814.jpg
    IMG_20191108_190445814.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20191108_190435128.jpg
    IMG_20191108_190435128.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20191108_190424830.jpg
    IMG_20191108_190424830.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 28

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have used a lot of different calibers over the years, including 348, 270, 270 WSM and 300 Win Mag, but have settled on using the 30-06.

I have both a Ruger American Rifle with a Nikon 3X9 scope, and a Model 95 (Browning Repro) with a Williams peep. They both shoot very well.

I gave my beautiful Win 70 Fwt in 270 to my brother, and he still uses it.

But it is not gun season yet, and today I took this with my Cross Bow from a climbing tree stand.

Antlers were "fair" but had a good body, about 140 lbs dressed. It is the 4th year in a row I have taken a deer after going w/o for 2 years. :)
I enjoy hunting regardless of the weapon used. However, nothing better than a bow kill. I should be in a tree stand later today, myself.

DuratecMan10

GFY! I'll never be straight !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I enjoy hunting regardless of the weapon used. However, nothing better than a bow kill. I should be in a tree stand later today, myself.

I agree. I have a Bear Crossbow that I've used to hunt and absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a CenterPoint 370 FPS. This is my second buck with it, with 2 shots at deer (over 3 years). Was on sale at Cabelas for $250 with a scope. Both shots were pass through, but I got lucky and found this bolt. We searched a lot for the one 2 years ago, but never found it.

I purchased new bolts and mechanical NAP heads, and put a Nikon scope on it. Heads are 1.5" 3 blade, they fly straight and work well.

The trigger is a little stiff, but other than that it is a tack driver, and it hits way harder than a compound bow. The bolt yesterday went right through the shoulder plate and exited the deer. He went about 40 yds before falling, with an excellent blood trail that started right at the hit.

As much as I like traditional bow hunting, I have to admit that the cross bow is a more effective and humane way to harvest deer.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree. I have a Bear Crossbow that I've used to hunt and absolutely love it.

Mine is a CenterPoint 370 FPS. This is my second buck with it, with 2 shots at deer (over 3 years). Was on sale at Cabelas for $250 with a scope. Both shots were pass through, but I got lucky and found this bolt. We searched a lot for the one 2 years ago, but never found it.

I purchased new bolts and mechanical NAP heads, and put a Nikon scope on it. Heads are 1.5" 3 blade, they fly straight and work well.

The trigger is a little stiff, but other than that it is a tack driver, and it hits way harder than a compound bow. The bolt yesterday went right through the shoulder plate and exited the deer. He went about 40 yds before falling, with an excellent blood trail that started right at the hit.

As much as I like traditional bow hunting, I have to admit that the cross bow is a more effective and humane way to harvest deer.

Awesome...! Always wanted to try a cross bow.

I'm still using a compound. Quest Primal. It's proven pretty deadly in the last 8 yrs. I've taken my share with it. It was a HUGE upgrade from my 80's model Bear (which i still have), with aluminum shafts...hahahahaha.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm still using a compound. Quest Primal. It's proven pretty deadly in the last 8 yrs. I've taken my share with it. It was a HUGE upgrade from my 80's model Bear (which i still have), with aluminum shafts...hahahahaha.
Tell that hard charging, Devil Dog son of yours Happy Birthday tomorrow for me!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm hunting from a climbing tree stand, not an enclosed stand. After watching him eat grass for more than 1/2 hr (over 100 yds away), he came in on me pretty fast (a brisk walk) right before dark. I think he may have picked me up right before I shot, which is why a rushed the shot where he was.

I don't think I could have gotten a traditional bow to full draw w/o him picking me up. At best, it would have been more difficult.

DuratecMan10

Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I got my crossbow as a gift from an awesome client a few years ago. Went hunting that fall. Loved it.

DuratecMan10

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Highly recommend Fluid Film for your mower decks.

Just cut my own yard and the neighbors and the wet grass clumps fell off with ease.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Earlier I drank my morning pot of coffee while watching the sun come up and several dozen deer working their way down the draw

Then I went and drilled out the stumps from yesterday’s sawing and poured Roundup concentrate in the holes

It kills black poplar/cottonwood back in Alaska

Hoping it does the same on the local Kiawe/Mesquite

Fingers crossed

Just fired up my second pot of the day and I’m enjoying the breeze on the lanai and watching the waves and hoping to see whales

A few have been reported off Maui so I should be seeing them soon

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Roundup is more of a grass killer. Get some 24D it is more of a woody plant /tree killer.
24D is in a lot of tree/brush killers.

At this point it's a matter of what I can find on this island

I will certainly look into the 24D but will most likely have to order it

Thanks for the tip

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read the labels, a lot of weed/brush killers use 24D as the active ingredient.
Enjoy the islands. The winter waves bring the best surfers in the world there to play.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read the labels, a lot of weed/brush killers use 24D as the active ingredient.
Enjoy the islands. The winter waves bring the best surfers in the world there to play.

I will do my homework

The Roundup I use in Alaska is for vines and brush and once again it was what I had on hand

But it kills cottonwood and alder with my drill and pour method

Yeah, the surf can get vicious in the winter on the north shores

We have been on Oah'u when the Eddie Aikau/Quiksilver was going on

Those folks are nuts