High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Could one of you good people help me scratch this square grinder itch please? We have zero makers of square grinders and I would be buying a Simington if the difference in cutting speed and/or time between sharpenings is significantly better than what I can achieve with my round grinding of RSC.

So, would anyone up there with a Simington grinder be willing to sell me a RSC chain with your grind on it please? I will then compare to my existing chains. We are in fairly dense timber down here so the grind angles would need to reflect that. I know it's not a completely fair comparison because you haven't had the benefit of tailoring a chain to the exact conditions, but at least it would help me get a handle on if I should be throwing the money at buying and importing a Simington.

What say you Simington owners? Ya up for it?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the specifics for the chain you are looking for ?

375 / 404 ?
What gauge if 375 ?
Full comp or skip sequence ?
How many DL’s ?

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do you have a saw that takes a shorter chain. That is a fair amount DL for testing out some chain to see if it is any good.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've just bought an 18" Tsumura bar but haven't mounted it to confirm it will be 66 drive links. Will do so in the next few days though when I get back to it.
In the meantime, to be clear, I'm expecting to pay for the chain if the person has it on hand, or I will buy a loop and send it to them, pay for their time to grind the chain and send it on to me. I'm not asking for any freebies and would be very grateful if anyone with a Simington is willing to help me test for myself if it's going to be worth the cost and hassle of buying one of these grinders and getting it down here.

I've bought plenty of USA machinery and gear over the years, but am a bit unsure about if there will be enough of a benefit over my round ground chains, to push ahead with a Simington purchase.

I guess I could drop Salt Lake a line but given they already only make these machines in batches, I'm getting the feeling an enquiry of this nature from some obscure place on the other side of the planet isn't going to get very far.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
:ARMS1:
Thank you very much for this.

I'll confirm the link count for the Tsumura bar in a few days, source a loop of 36RSC and PM you for details.

Maybe it's a sign I need to get out more but it's exciting to know I'll be able to try a Simington square ground chain before forking out the $ on the grinder.

Thanks again. Very kind of you.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you will be impressed. My square ground chains are every bit as durable as round filed full chisel chain. As you know, it's all about having the proper angles. The Simington is very versatile and easily adjusted. Their site has some videos that explain how to make a good cutting chain.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:ARMS1:
Thank you very much for this.

I'll confirm the link count for the Tsumura bar in a few days, source a loop of 36RSC and PM you for details.

Maybe it's a sign I need to get out more but it's exciting to know I'll be able to try a Simington square ground chain before forking out the $ on the grinder.

Thanks again. Very kind of you.
Based on AUS prices I would bet any of our dealers prices would be a treat for you.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most of the time that's certainly the case. I think it's something like only one out of about 10 saws I've bought has come from a NZ dealer :).

One of these days us down here will form a big enough buying group of Kiwi's willing to stump with the cash to get a few pallets of the otherwise expensive to ship things like chain, bars, gear (maybe a Simington grinder too) sent down sea freight from USA. I used to move freight all over the globe so have no probs with the paperwork.

Thought I had cobbled together such a group a few months ago but when it came time to stump with the $ most of them evaporated.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Moparmyway thanks again for your offer to grind a chain however I'll have to pass on it. Not only was it turning out to be more of a hassle and cost than first anticipated to buy a chain send it to you then send it to me (although in saying that I do have an order at LCS that could have been held pending receipt of the chain, but it's just in the too hard basket for now), but I stumbled upon a fellow Kiwi last week who had just received a Simington 451c from Baileys. It'll be a good few months at minimum before he gets it dialled in though, I would assume, given it's a new grinder and calving season is almost upon him.

I do appreciate the offer though. Thanks for that.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guaranteed
And I dont throw LP chains anymore either

Me either ........ however, that arm adjustment is worth its weight in gold. If yours doesnt have it, I would highly suggest that you figure out a way to make it, or see about the possibility of just getting the arm from Simington. I'll betcha if they do sell replacement arms, they're the new style with the up/down adjustment

Here is how I added adjustments to the older 450 grinder.

IMG_7119.JPG

http://opeforum.com/threads/simington-450-modification-for-more-adjustments.13078/

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wheel edge is too thick (easy to dress it thinner). It is in to the tie straps on 3/8. Just a FYI for lookers.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does your side plate angle look?
That is how my edge got thick. My side plate was pretty much vertical.

I wanted to get some forward lean on the side plate and dressed the stone a little steeper on the bottom. Now I will have to shave some off the upper surface to get the edge thinned out again. It's a process. lol

I have to be in the mood, most days I don't have time fer this shirt...

brshephard

Stihl saws, Husky women
Local time
12:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Lol, sounds like you got'er figured out.

For 3/8" chain I like about .090" thick. It doesn't hit the tie straps but it still grinds a decent bit of gullet.