srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well here was the reason for my little saw sell off.
Silvey Razursharp early one that the first Simingtons came from when they bought the rights to it.
Then Silvey started on another one later on but different from my readings.
Just setting up and learning something new. Hopefully I can pick this up and offer square grinding local. Because I gave up the square file a few years ago. But got me thinking when a local ask me to square a 60" chain for him and I turned it down.

View attachment 121244 View attachment 121245

On those you'll want to make a way to adjust the chain guide vertically. Some slot the guide, some slot the arm and put a nut on the other side. I've even seen people cut the arm and hinge it.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just tested my first loop of RS round converted to square. Cut good and good chips.

I was going to compare it to a LGX loop I ran on the 65cc 415 in ash. Then went to put the converted RS loop on and came up short. Counted the drive links and had done a 70DL not 72DL like the LGX was on 415.
So put on a 60cc poulan for testing.

doh.png

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you Sir !
I've already started putting some tweaks into her.
I'm liking it a bunch ........ a whole bunch

Yeah we seen how Roger's chain did coming off the simington :eek:. Bet some of yours and even mine would have moved up in the work saw class in those old build offs now.

IMO the grinders are so dang easy, dont know why I held out for so long.

I know some were done on prosharp too that were at the top of some of the build offs. ;)

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah we seen how Roger's chain did coming off the simington :eek:. Bet some of yours and even mine would have moved up in the work saw class in those old build offs now.
Guaranteed
And I dont throw LP chains anymore either

Me either ........ however, that arm adjustment is worth its weight in gold. If yours doesnt have it, I would highly suggest that you figure out a way to make it, or see about the possibility of just getting the arm from Simington. I'll betcha if they do sell replacement arms, they're the new style with the up/down adjustment

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guaranteed
And I dont throw LP chains anymore either

Me either ........ however, that arm adjustment is worth its weight in gold. If yours doesnt have it, I would highly suggest that you figure out a way to make it, or see about the possibility of just getting the arm from Simington. I'll betcha if they do sell replacement arms, they're the new style with the up/down adjustment
I asked Kelly Peile about upgrading to the new style adjustable arm on my old 450 and he said no-go... There has to be a way to make a mod though. Slotting the chain holder disc vertically is one option that I have heard about.

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I asked Kelly Peile about upgrading to the new style adjustable arm on my old 450 and he said no-go... There has to be a way to make a mod though. Slotting the chain holder disc vertically is one option that I have heard about.

I’m going to be modifying an old 450 arm soon to have vertical and in/out adjustment. I’ll post pictures when I do it.

brshephard

Stihl saws, Husky women
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score

FWIW I spoke to Kelly as well.
He said he used to machine 451 arms to retrofit to 450 grinders. He told me he would no longer perform the work, however, he will still sell the 451 arm.

He quoted me 250$ for the whole arm.

The way Kelly explained it the machine work consists of milling a boss off the top of the 451 arm at the pivot.

Instead of going with the new arm I opted to send my 450 arm to Shaun.
He's got a Frickin sexy idea, hopefully he'll take a bunch of pics.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW I spoke to Kelly as well.
He said he used to machine 451 arms to retrofit to 450 grinders. He told me he would no longer perform the work, however, he will still sell the 451 arm.

He quoted me 250$ for the whole arm.

The way Kelly explained it the machine work consists of milling a boss off the top of the 451 arm at the pivot.

Instead of going with the new arm I opted to send my 450 arm to Shaun.
He's got a Frickin sexy idea, hopefully he'll take a bunch of pics.
Awesome!

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I know some were done on prosharp too that were at the top of some of the build offs. ;)

Yep done 100% on my Simington grinder. I used no files at all. I cannot believe that was in 2016. time flies.

IMG_0894.JPG

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Please excuse me if this has been answered or if most likely it's a stoopid question, but are there ABN/CBN wheels for the Simington 451C and if so, how long would they last compared to the others? I'm thinking about after all the trial and error has been done and some general angles/shapes have been settled upon and if a 'diamond' wheel would be worth it or whether it would wear the corner of the wheel too quickly to even bother with the extra expense of such wheels, even if they are available.

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The million $$ question

What I do know:

A wheel for the Simington will probably be slightly different than a wheel for the Silvey

There are companies that will make a custom ABN/CBN wheel for you if they have a sample to clone one from

There are some guys, on this forum, crazy enough to try it

Aciera

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

brshephard

Stihl saws, Husky women
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Please excuse me if this has been answered or if most likely it's a stoopid question, but are there ABN/CBN wheels for the Simington 451C and if so, how long would they last compared to the others? I'm thinking about after all the trial and error has been done and some general angles/shapes have been settled upon and if a 'diamond' wheel would be worth it or whether it would wear the corner of the wheel too quickly to even bother with the extra expense of such wheels, even if they are available.

It's been talked about. Not sure if it's been done though. It would have to be custom ordered.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...r-wheel-specs-considering-a-cbn-wheel.229210/

The problem is you would be stuck with fixed angles on the wheel.

Here is an example that happens with my swingarm:
suppose the wheel was shaped so it would put a 2 degree forward lean on your side plate on new chain. As the cutter wears shorter you have to adjust the chain stop forward to get the corner lined back up. This will drop the cutter forward and down changing how the cutter contacts the wheel, ultimately you could end up with a 2 degree back lean that cuts poorly and can't be dressed out.

Try a blue wheel from madsens, they wear like iron. I only dress mine when it loads up and starts to run hot.

Devon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

In my experience, different chains require different wheel dressing. If the wheel is dressed for .404 chain and you try to sharpen 3/8 chain you will nick the tie straps pretty bad. The smaller cutters require the wheel to be thinner on the edge. If the edge of the wheel is too thick, it will grind into the tie straps. If you are only sharpening one chain size, the ABN/CBN wheels might work. But personally, I like having the option to dress the wheel to fit the chain. I sharpen Picco Super, 3/8 & 404.