Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used a combination of dawn and simply green in a small heated sonic cleaning bath to clean chains. Works good. Then some wd40 after grinding. The hot water heat helps dry out the chain when done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You, gents; is there a solution that is recommended for de-lubing used oily chains? To provide for use of the longer lasting wheels that it sounds like wood leave a better surface & edge. I'm retired so as is typical I have more useable time than discretionary funding.
I have two 42" chains that are round ground poorly everything else in my inventory came square chisel from the maker.
Do I remember correctly the blue wheel is smooth, hard grind? And the salmon is a bit softer?
When I have the time I’ll fill a 5 gallon bucket with hot (hotter the better) water, add dawn dish washing soap and a little laundry detergent. Then I take a piece of wire and attach it to the middle of several loops of chain and use it for a handle, drop the chains on the hot soapy water and let them soak. I’ll grab the wire and shake the chains vigorously every so often as I’m doing other saw maintenance things. An hour is usually good or until the water starts to cool off. Then I’ll hang the chains up on something and blast with a water hose and let dry in sun or use a leaf blower to dry. Gets rid of most of the oil. If I’m in a hurry I’ll install on a saw and rip through a nice dry softwood log and shut off saw immediately. I try to do that when I’m done cutting for the day, make my last cut through a dry soft log and shut down before the Oiler pumps out more oil on chain. I will also dress the wheel before each chain and sometimes once during each chain. If you want a sharp chain you need a sharp wheel. And a clean chain.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got off the phone with the Lady at Madsens, 451c on the way!
Steve thinks mine will arrive Monday, took the step out on the limb 45 minutes ago along with the other supplies for my boots three other wheels and a flannel I woodn't order except with the larger order. Haven't seen a blue flannel for all the time I have looked.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just told UPS to hold it off the truck so I will pick it up around 11 AM instead of by eight in the evening. Coincidentally right after I posted that my order was in a "your getting better" award was provided by this site. I will have to see if mine is #1859?

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gonna be a long night lol
It's a good thing I read this long thread, I was ahead of the game when this thing got here. I was even able to dress the angle on the wheel for correct sideplate angle. I put on a .325 chain that I had square filed, it was a mess, my files will now rust in peace.
This chain is now a wicked lookin thing, the ground surfaces just gleam, I used the salmon colored wheel that came on it. I'll get some pics tomorrow

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far I have read this thread front to back three times, the last time screen shots were stored. Order taker Steve said Monday, but the guess now is Tuesday early A M with my pickup around 11 when the door opens for customerz reception.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know where this knob goes, I found a use for the two long ones.20180825_085621.jpg

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done 3 chains now and I'm amazed at how much adjustment must be made for different size chain,
these are chains I square filed and if consistantcy is important I will never square file again.
I really like the light on this machine, I can see the corners well, I been grinding from inside out, how do you guys do it?
Wish I had better pics, those cutters look as good as those I see on here.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
10:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Feed across the wheel and swing back out. Good pictures are easier to get with a white sheet if napped behind the cutter with decent light like the one on the grinder.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done 3 chains now and I'm amazed at how much adjustment must be made for different size chain,
these are chains I square filed and if consistantcy is important I will never square file again.
I really like the light on this machine, I can see the corners well, I been grinding from inside out, how do you guys do it?
Wish I had better pics, those cutters look as good as those I see on here.

Outside in is what I was always told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk