Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got my act together and pulled the trigger. Simington and some spare wheels on the way from Madsens! Scheduled to be here next friday! The anticipation is already killing me. So in the mean time I'll be rereading this thread to help pass the time. Thanks for all the tips-tricks-secrets y'all.

species8472

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got my act together and pulled the trigger. Simington and some spare wheels on the way from Madsens! Scheduled to be here next friday! The anticipation is already killing me. So in the mean time I'll be rereading this thread to help pass the time. Thanks for all the tips-tricks-secrets y'all.
Well done. fun to use.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've looked at every post from numero uno, I've looked at the loops I have for milling (from 18" up to 72" ). Comp square chisel, skip & semi-skip square chisel. I've looked at my birth certificate to guess how long I'm gonna keep milling for a hobby so I need a Simmington. Then I looked at the pic of the dust a chain, That I had paid to be sharpened, made first two uses with out and with rakers filed.
I found the money, now I need advice on which wheels to order along with so that I'm in shape to start on the process of showing the tree crew, that has been surprised at the speed I mill logs 36" and up, that they need my services! If they saw the speed of those cuts as being fast, I believe once I duplicate some of the cutters shown in these posts, they may want to try paying the same $ for a bit better sharp.
Was gonna send a couple loops to a grinder who I know is as good as anyone. Then try to put together the skills to file at those angles to replicate the cuttabilty on those chisels. Looked inna mirror an' said who are you trying to kid.
Something else to learn soon and resale should bring back most of the initial cost when I convert from miller to carpenter.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would order one spare salmon (grinder should ship with a salmon on it IIRC) and two blue ceramic wheels. If, after those four wheels are shot/spent/kicked you want to try new things, you will be well along on the road to square grinding.

I would use salmon for squaring up round chains, and blue for chains that are already square ground. Converting will use up wheel life. When the black gunk starts to show up, you really should dress it out/off. It's a process. Dressing will help it grind cooler with a more precise corner.

We had a GTG this spring and there was a bunch of hardwood milling going on with SG chain. It was amazing to everyone there how sharp the chains stayed after extensive use.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The gray wheel is best for converting nasty old chains.
It’s coarse, junky, and disposable..

Grinds cooler, but don’t last. But...

If you want something cheap and expendable, they work good. Salmon and blue don’t like dirty, oily chains.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You, gents; is there a solution that is recommended for de-lubing used oily chains? To provide for use of the longer lasting wheels that it sounds like wood leave a better surface & edge. I'm retired so as is typical I have more useable time than discretionary funding.
I have two 42" chains that are round ground poorly everything else in my inventory came square chisel from the maker.
Do I remember correctly the blue wheel is smooth, hard grind? And the salmon is a bit softer?

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You, gents; is there a solution that is recommended for de-lubing used oily chains? To provide for use of the longer lasting wheels that it sounds like wood leave a better surface & edge. I'm retired so as is typical I have more useable time than discretionary funding.
I have two 42" chains that are round ground poorly everything else in my inventory came square chisel from the maker.
Do I remember correctly the blue wheel is smooth, hard grind? And the salmon is a bit softer?
Yes, and the grey is coarser yet.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have any of you guys had your Pro Sharp eat the pawl cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk