Show Off your Woodstove Pics required

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is my Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 insert. Non-cat and couldn't be happier with its performance. Only draw back is there is no ash pan, but that's the trade off to having an insert. It's -25F today (14 Feb) and my house is 75F. I'd say she does the trick;)

View attachment 11220
I love my Pacific Energy Super 27, too, they make a fine product. Mine heats a 2000 sq. ft. ranch very well.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys needing some suggestions on a wood burning stove/heater. We moved from a house that had a fire place and the family I miss it. I'm looking for something we can see the flames through the front glass kinda like a fire place. Needs to seals well so we dont have a house smelling like my bbq pit. Space is an issue too, kinda limited. What brands would yall suggest I start looking at? Is there a website that specializes in nothing but wood burning stoves/heaters. Whats the best brand for the money? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Just a heads up you can get an Englander 30 for $618 shipped to you door. From the Durango CO Home Depot. Be sure to set your store to the Durango one to get the pricing.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice! That's a good deal less than my P.E. T-6...

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In the house is just an NC 30 burnin 24/7 no backup heat available, boiler died years ago. In the shop is the PIG. Here is a pic dogs included.
View attachment 10705

What is the PIG made out of and did you make it? It looks like it's built hell-for-stout.

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpeg Here's my Lakewood, pretty wood efficient. Can go 16 hrs on 6-7 pieces of chopped ash. Heats my garage nice and warm. My garage is 18 ft wide by 55 ft long cinder block with epoxy coating on floor, ceiling and walls for wind resistance. Ceiling is only thing insulated.

Once warm, stays warm for a few days.

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It draws good most of the time. It has a bypass for cold starts (just pull out the handle in the center of the front). It does very well once it is warm. I plan to add another piece of pipe to increase draw on those still mornings.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Homebuilt masonry/cookstove. It also has a black oven.
I love to see an interior design schematic in order to se how the heat and smoke flows throughout the unit.

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love to see an interior design schematic in order to se how the heat and smoke flows throughout the unit.
If you click on the photo, it will take you to photobucket with a whole bunch of pictures of the build. The burn chamber is almost a cube, with 3 chambers.
The first is the firebox. It is 13-1/2" tall, 18" deep, and 7-1/2" wide. It has one exit in the right-hand sidewall all the way at the back. The opening 9" tall by 2-1/4" wide, and is even with the floor if the firebox. This leads to chamber 2. Right in front of this opening is a vertical piece of 2" schedule 40 pipe, with ~1/4" slit top to bottom that faces the opening. Fresh air is piped to this tube all along the bottom of the firebox (to pre-heat the air).
Chamber 2 is a mixing chamber that is 13" tall and about 6" square (can't remember the dimensions off the top if my head). The passage from the firebox to this mixing chamber has a 3/8" slot in the top of it where exhaust gas is re-circulated back in (venturi effect) to aid in complete combustion. This chamber sees more of a cyclone swirling effect for the mixing of the gasses. At 90 degrees from the inlet to this chamber, is the outlet (so it is facing the front of the stove). The outlet is also 9" tall, but it is only about 1-5/8" wide. This produces really high velocity where the gasses enter the final burn chamber. This opening also has a slot in the roof for recirculating more exhaust gases back into the burn.
We now arrive to the 3rd chamber. It is approximately 7-1/2" wide, by 8-1/2" deep and is leads all the way to the ceramic glass cooktop (~2 feet tall). This is where the main burn happens. From this point on, the gasses must follow a cursive "n" (with a tail) path under the cooktop to the rear of the stove. When the bypass is open, the gasses can go straight to the chimney. If the bypass is closed, then the gasses must travel all the way to the bottom of the stove in a open chamber immediately behind the firebox. From there the gasses enter the large open oven area of the stove. From there, the gasses have to travel back down to the bottom of the right-rear corner to get into the vertical flue. This allows the hottest gasses to be held inside the thermal mass, and only the coolest gasses to get to the chimney.
From a cold start, the oven takes 30 minutes to get to the 400 deg range, and the stove will reach max temperature at about 2 hours of burn. At this point, the oven will be nearly 700 deg f.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is my Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 insert. Non-cat and couldn't be happier with its performance. Only draw back is there is no ash pan, but that's the trade off to having an insert. It's -25F today (14 Feb) and my house is 75F. I'd say she does the trick;)

View attachment 11220
There are a few stove/inserts that have ash pans, but they are few and far between. Here's mine:

It's a Federal Airtight 288. Lady, my flat-coated retriever, really likes the stove. The ash pan is right below the firebox and pulls out. The stove is almost entirely cast iron and no longer made. In 28 years of service I have replaced a few parts. I heat the entire walkout basement with it.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-22_10-37-12.png
    upload_2016-2-22_10-37-12.png
    590.4 KB · Views: 11

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are a few stove/inserts that have ash pans, but they are few and far between. Here's mine:

It's a Federal Airtight 288. Lady, my flat-coated retriever, really likes the stove. The ash pan is right below the firebox and pulls out. The stove is almost entirely cast iron and no longer made. In 28 years of service I have replaced a few parts. I heat the entire walkout basement with it.
Howdy Ed!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Ed!
Looks like you liked the Pic, Matt. Think I'll fire her up tonight also. Late winter came back to pay a visit. Good cutting weather, however. No heavy wet stuff for awhile. I'm thinking about buying 11 acres of standing timber. Good price and not far from a calm lake packed with geese and ducks. Plenty of potential firewood for this stove and a couple of others. I need an arm twist of encouragement to close the deal.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Nice setup you got there. I definitely envy the ash pan. My beagle is a fire hound too, he lays in front of our stove all day long.
20160222_182442.jpg

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing like as good beagle hound. Yours is a classic. One of my best friends calls his beagle, "Homer". Thank you so much for showing this dog (and your wood stove) to all of us.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing like as good beagle hound. Yours is a classic. One of my best friends calls his beagle, "Homer". Thank you so much for showing this dog (and your wood stove) to all of us.

No problem, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread as much as I am. And we love that little guy, very affectionate and intelligent.