Show Off your Woodstove Pics required

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys needing some suggestions on a wood burning stove/heater. We moved from a house that had a fire place and the family I miss it. I'm looking for something we can see the flames through the front glass kinda like a fire place. Needs to seals well so we dont have a house smelling like my bbq pit. Space is an issue too, kinda limited. What brands would yall suggest I start looking at? Is there a website that specializes in nothing but wood burning stoves/heaters. Whats the best brand for the money? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Look at Englander and Drolet for good quality lower cost stoves.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
c18b4bf6fa11e5b7ca84286f1dd737d2.jpg
dea2112db972c8598f3ae8997652da94.jpg
heres what I got, the boiler is at the farm heating Mom and Dads house along with 2 shops and outside forced air is what I heat my house with. Hope to have my boiler going for next winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
c18b4bf6fa11e5b7ca84286f1dd737d2.jpg
dea2112db972c8598f3ae8997652da94.jpg
heres what I got, the boiler is at the farm heating Mom and Dads house along with 2 shops and outside forced air is what I heat my house with. Hope to have my boiler going for next winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice mike!

ctylerc1995

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Fill it up once daily with anything that burns, been burning a mix of ash and unseasoned maple, cherry, poplar and hickory.
Need to start seasoning my wood stock better....burns more wood than the buck stove thats in the house but not having smoke/fire inside and not having to split the wood is worth it.
42" deep firebox makes burning limbs a lot easier!IMG_6101.JPG

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My next house will have a boiler powered heated floor loops and there will be a wood stove, just because, either a Woodstock Soapstone or a Jotul Black Bear.

Last edited:

ctylerc1995

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My next house will have a boiler powering heated floor loops and there will be a wood stove, just because, either a Woodstock Soapstone or a Jotul Black Bear.
Floor loops with individual zone control would be the best method I think, this one is just pumping 180* water through 1" pex into an additional coil on the air handler of the HVAC.
The only drawback is the coil is still hot when the fan is off, causing the floor/wall above the coil to stay hot, right where the thermostat is.
A bypass valve is on the todo list, along with point of use hot water heat exchangers.

David Boyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look at Englander and Drolet for good quality lower cost stoves.

I'll second this. The Englander gets lots of recommendations as a great stove at a good price. I had narrowed my choice down to a Englander NC-30 or a Drolet HT-2000 when shopping for a woodstove last fall. I ended up getting an Osburn 2300 because it looked nicer in my living room, but Drolet, Osburn and about a half dozen other brands are made by Stove Builders International (SBI) in Canada. Mostly the same stoves built to different price points - nicer looking stove = more money.

I like my Osburn, but I'm sure a Drolet would function just as well. BTW, don't wait until the fall to by one. Many of the Drolet models were sold out and on a several month wait list when I was looking for mine. Probably should buy in the Spring/summer to get the best deal/selection.

David Boyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fill it up once daily with anything that burns, been burning a mix of ash and unseasoned maple, cherry, poplar and hickory.
Need to start seasoning my wood stock better....burns more wood than the buck stove thats in the house but not having smoke/fire inside and not having to split the wood is worth it.
42" deep firebox makes burning limbs a lot easier!View attachment 10615

Interesting. Think the outside boiler is inherently less efficient than the woodstove, or is it your setup/unseasoned wood? I can definitely see the advantages of not having smoke/fire inside and not having to split wood.

ctylerc1995

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One inefficiency, I believe, is the water jacket around the fire box. I think this leads to incomplete combustion, and more hydrocarbons go out before burning . Some correct me is that's not true.
And the second reason for more wood is, the whole house is 73~74*, and the buck stove only heated some rooms to 80* and let the others drop to as low as 65*.
And thirdly I think the 150' line set looses some heat to the ground.

This outdoor fireplace is suppose to be more efficient than some others because it has a tripple pass on the exhaust before the smoke exits the top.