GoldMember
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the 20" miner's handle's they are good carrying on ATVs or in the woods
I'm ordering these no idea the maker

Tennessee hickory. I get mine from Madsen’s. I like how they swoop away from the poll. All my straight handles I’ve posted pics of have them, minus the East Coast Lumberjack ones. Great handles for the price can tweak shape to preference. WCS handles are nice but for that $ I’d have ECLJ make me a custom with my own tweaks.

Last edited:

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
1:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tennessee hickory. I get mine from Madsen’s. I like how they swoop away from the poll. All my straight handles I’ve posted pics of have them, minus the East Coast Lumberjack ones. Great handles for the price can tweak shape to preference. WCS handles are nice but for that $ I’d have ECLJ make me a custom with my own tweaks.

I’m totally with you on that. I like a lot of the WCS products, especially in that they provide a solution to problems a lot of people have, but most of them are over the top for my use… And very, very spendy.

I really like the look of their axe handles, they look well made and thought out (especially the big palm swell)-but I want mine longer, 26” is just too short for what I use an axe for.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is East Coast Lumberjack a manufacturer of handles? I’ve bought most of mine recently theough Beaver Tooth, but their turnaround time is brutal and my big palms/short fingers don’t like some of their handle profiles. I’m looking at maybe something else.

Anothrt reason those are hung flush is because a lot of guys slide hit the Halligan forks with the top of the axe. You’d destroy the wedge and the handle leaving it proud. Mike Perrone has some good video on that topic. I may make some later tonight if I make it to the firehouse.

When it comes to axes, it’s not a rare thing I’m hiking in a couple of miles and I carry my falling gear, and a small pack with water/lunch/gas/etc, and I carry one axe for everything. Over the last few years I’ve grabbed for a 5 lb Sager head I’ve had a couple of handles through. Right now it’s on a 28” double it bit handle, but it’s going on a 30 or 32 next time it gets hung. We’ll see how I like this one or if it’ll live with that Halligan tool for the rest of its life.

I got a new aluminum axe scabbard (and belt, and wedge holder, and shoulder pads) from Grizzly Peak I want to get some time on this year too. I’m excited. It should be an upgrade from a nail pouch on a rigger’s belt for wedges, and tucking the axe through the belt. The hard hat hasn’t changed though. Still rocking the Skullgard.
ECLJ Is Rod Cumberland. Super cool custom handle maker, tree guy, timbersports background. Somewhere in there he's got vids on my Elwells.

His handles tend to be race style, wide and flat, but he'll do what you ask as well.

I just got a Fire Hooks Unlimited 6lb axe...the handle is Fat...I like it, though have not swung it yet. I have medium sized hands.

I didn't realize WCS was 26", I was thinking 28" which I think would be my min.

Catbuster

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ECLJ Is Rod Cumberland. Super cool custom handle maker, tree guy, timbersports background. Somewhere in there he's got vids on my Elwells.

His handles tend to be race style, wide and flat, but he'll do what you ask as well.

I just got a Fire Hooks Unlimited 6lb axe...the handle is Fat...I like it, though have not swung it yet. I have medium sized hands.

I didn't realize WCS was 26", I was thinking 28" which I think would be my min.

Mine isn’t too big, at least compared to the irons we carry on our truck. The head actually gaps a door really well. It’s a good hitting axe, that’s for sure.

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpegIMG_6488.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6493.jpeg
    IMG_6493.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6490.jpeg
    IMG_6490.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 8

Catbuster

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You accidentally helped me. Was wondering about one of those yellow handled ones to re profile like a BBR wood bullet splitter. The FHU one I got is too thin-bitted I think, more of a chopper.

Glad to be of help!

We carry the eight-pounder. It’s a beast. That FE6 hits better though-especially hitting one-handed and holding the halligan with the other. The tall poll on the FHU has advantages though, and so does the long handle. I think Council Tool and FHU (formerly K-T Tool Company) has a different ideology on what these are supposed to be and how they should work, and Council Tool came up with a better axe (who would have thought?;)) and Fire Hooks Unlimited makes a better Halligan (again, hard to believe:)).

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you ever run across this old Mann True American stamp... BUY IT!
Mine is a Dayton Pattern I'm guessing.
Rekon that one has banged some wedges? Lol
I've owned it over a year & it is my goto of the 40 vintage axes I own.
Use it exclusively, & only touched up the edge once.
It's on par with the Knot Klippers for much less money (I've owned a bunch of Knot Klippers in the past & still own 2).
Prolly the most well rounded axe I've I've ever used (4lb head).
20240316_143737.jpg
20240316_143743.jpg
20240316_143753.jpg
20240316_153147.jpg

Last edited:

Catbuster

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my FHU. I think it might actually be council. View attachment 411757

That yellow handle is another brand I think.

Our Fire Hooks Unlimited rep is pretty adamant they make theirs in-house. They keep their polls really soft.

A Boston axe has a tall poll, as can be seen in the photo I posted before. It just gives a firefighter a better chance of hitting the adze end of a Halligan or Kelly tool driving forks past a jamb in low visibility.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our Fire Hooks Unlimited rep is pretty adamant they make theirs in-house. They keep their polls really soft.

A Boston axe has a tall poll, as can be seen in the photo I posted before. It just gives a firefighter a better chance of hitting the adze end of a Halligan or Kelly tool driving forks past a jamb in low visibility.

Craig Roost of Council thinks the FHU is an import since it doesn’t have a maker’s mark.

Wish I’d gotten a Boston, for beating wedges. As if I need another axe 🙄🤪

Gonna have to start picking favorites and sailing the rest

OH_Varmntr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never messed with a tassie

What’s the deal?
Tassie patterns are better suited for splitting hardwoods. Think maul profile with a longer edge but with its weight being carried ahead of the eye. Very thin polls so not suited for wedge banging. That's why you find a lot of them have been welded or have cracked or mis-shapen polls.

I like buying the abused and repaired ones so for example...
Weld repaired poll with crack still visible.
20240312_162002.jpg

Mis-shapen eye from banging wedges.
20231230_110638.jpg