SHOW ME YOUR AXES

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the bolt sticks out the side of the head?
Yes, for now. He is using it to cut down small trees, cut branches, and is girdling them. Later I might put in some sort of malleable pin and peen it flush if it gets in the way. The extra weight on the end, as small as it is between the bolt, rubber, and everything else seems to have improved the swing after the last time i used it. If I split by hand I usually go for the all steel handle with big red metal triangle headed axe (I forget teh brand-model) or wedges and a sledge hammer.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first pic is why I don't loan out my axes: I hear "axe" and think "sharp tree feller", everyone hears "axe" and thinks "something other than my saw to cut roots with". The second pic is a sweet old hand-forged double bit that I put a fresh edge on in case @davidwyby needs an axe to chop down a certain cottonwood tree. ;)
IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0637.JPG

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, that is some bad damage, looks like you are going to lose 1/16 of an inch on the edge :-(

One of the main reasons I own a battery powered (and corded) sawzall is to cut tree and plant roots with a pruning blade. I avoid getting an axe or chainsaw anywhere near the roots of trees. Some people are convinced they can pressure wash all the small stones from the stump of a tree so it can be cut with a chainsaw, it has never worked for me.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya gotta just buy a cheap loaner Ax. Lol
Keep the good stuff separate.
It was "safely" tucked away in the shed next to my chaps, hat, saw box (wedges, screnches, etc), and all that but I wasn't around and my dad needed an axe so he just grabbed one of my felling axes. It cleaned up okay, I didn't remove all of the chips but it's back to being pretty sharp. On the bright side, I finally got around to thinning out the edge on it a bit.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All right axe guys, I sorted through the last of my axes and I found these things I'd like to move along. First up is a tiny hatchet handle I got with some other tools, if you want it just cover shipping. Next up is an old Sager chemical axe on a cut-down handle. I think I paid $20 for it, so if I could get $20 + the ride for it I'd be pretty happy. I was going to put it on a real haft and use it but it looks pretty nice the way it is and i just don't have a need for it.
IMG_0700.jpeg IMG_0701.jpeg IMG_0696.jpeg IMG_0697.jpegIMG_0699.jpeg

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NOW, I know how they did the undercut with saws on big logs with two man saws, I just figured it must have been chopped underneath for a starting point to sink the teeth and rakers into.

I had a Husky 372 die on me in a middle of one of my first an oak tree removals (over 36" DBH) and my backup Poulan was too small to cut off the limbs (huge water oak) because now I had to winch it over and the bar was too short to finish the back cut I started and I could not get into the middle 3-4 inches. So, I drove home quickly for my two man 5-6 foot something cross cut saw, cut two big 20" limbs off the lower trunk, cut as much as I could of the back cut with the Poulan, and finished the back cut middle which was about 3" wide and 12+" inches long that was deep into the trunk, by myself.

By the time I was ready to winch it over, with the winch in the back of my pickup bed, and drop it between two houses, I thought my arms were going to fall off they burned so bad. I then really appreciated how in shape the old timers really were.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m trying not to slide any deeper into axes…more art than useful like saws…the one I got from @Cat 525 is showing some real nice patina on the handle though after some light sanding and linseed. The Collins I hung and then broke the handle off of is with Daniel Donnelly getting re-hung on a custom handle.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m trying not to slide any deeper into axes…more art than useful like saws…the one I got from @Cat 525 is showing some real nice patina on the handle though after some light sanding and linseed. The Collins I hung and then broke the handle off of is with Daniel Donnelly getting re-hung on a custom handle.
True, but I used to spend a week at a time swinging an axe all throughout the day cutting dead trees on the property. My shoulders were pretty pizzed for awhile, but I survived. Then I was given an MS250 and, well, you know the rest. 80 axes turned into 40 saws and now my axes primarily get used to beat wedges.