TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr TreeLife, what you are doing for your father is a great gesture in today’s time.

I may be of assistance to you. I am a retire senior with many saws in my collection. You must remember a few things about older seniors. Saws with too much compression maybe hard to start without a decompression valve, saws that weight too much will tired them faster at the end of the day. These are some of that factors I found for myself as I got older.

I could bring down to you and your father and let him see, start, and cut with the saws. This way he will have a better idea what would fit him the best. I have the following saws I could bring down:

Husqvarna 562xp, 555, 550xp, 545, 550xp Markll, Stihl MS261CM

I am about 2 1/2 hours away from the Berkshire County, MA.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. Thanks.

Jack
Jack, I dont know what to say! That is an incredibly generous offer! My father, even though in his 50s...is a very stout man. He could pull start the world if it ran off a recoil lol compression and difficulty of starting isn't an issue at all, but I absolutely love where your mind goes on that subject. He started and enjoyed my 281 with well beyond 200 psi today, so a stock 562 doesn't sound like much of a challenge to the man especially with a functioning decompression :D

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he likes heated handles the 562 is really the only option. If that's not a deal breaker the only saw I now consider in that category is the 462, as it's basically the same weight and size of the 562, but far better in every way IMHO. The big downside of the 462, you're talking a lot more money. I'm personally not a fan of the 562 for my own reasons. My .02[emoji111]

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he likes heated handles the 562 is really the only option. If that's not a deal breaker the only saw I now consider in that category is the 462, as it's basically the same weight and size of the 562, but far better in every way IMHO. The big downside of the 462, you're talking a lot more money. I'm personally not a fan of the 562 for my own reasons. My .02[emoji111]
I'm not even sure he realizes heated handles even exist!

My own pig headed attitude stops me from spending 1100 dollars on a 462 that's only really worth 800 bucks to me. It just ain't special to me, and to get an arctic is to jump thru more hoops than a Shepard dog lol that's a big ole no.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a shame they don't offer the arctic here. I find the 462 very special being a 60cc saw in size weight, but ahead in power. I hate to say it, but the 462 is possibly the best all around saw I've ever ran, that's coming from someone who's a Husky, Dolmar guy at hart. That all comes at a hefty cost though, I get that.

I have to admit I'm biased against 60cc saws, the 562 was a headache for me, the 362 had it's own issues earlier in it's lifespan too. Ever consider the MS400, he could just replace the 362 and sell it off, used Stih's always bring good money. Still no hand warmer though.[emoji111]

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being "old school " I'd naturally suggest giving the 036 a little freshen up .They are good little saws with certainly enough power .Nobody ever said you need to cut all 18 cords of firewood in one day and it's plenty fast enough for that .Besides that a nice new saw won't do any better than an old veteran at the game .I mean it's not like the rod and custom show at the local fair grounds .

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d kick the 362 down the road, buy a ms261 for him, and go full on restoration/porting for the 036. I can just imagine the look on your dad’s face when he saw the 036 with a new @Glock37 paint job and the XS treatment.
That would be killer and give him great 50 and 60cc saws!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a lot you can do on those designs of Stihl saws that only cost you time taken .The easiest is just reworking the muffler .Some call it "porting a muffler " how they ever came up with that term I'll never know .Remove all the baffles, diverters and the spark screen .Only take the exhaust exit to about 85 percent of the size of the exhaust port and retune the carb .They get a tad louder but ear plugs are cheap .