TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
1:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys, I've been thinking about this for a while and I have a couple options. My dad heats his monster house with a outdoor wood furnace and can cut up to or exceeding 18 cord a year...or rather I've been doing that for some time.

Dear old dad has a very well used Stihl 036 that we are both very fond of. It has a minor air leak that can be tuned out and still starts and runs well after all these years. He uses a 20" bar on it and always has.

I guess I'm looking for input on what to do here. Do I have the 036 resealed, cleaned up and maybe some minor mods done to it to pep it up, or do I buy dad a new 562xpg (I get a nice deal on huskys) with heat to make his hands happy in the cold and muffler mod it for a bit more punch?

The 036 has been well used and is a long time favorite of ours. Dad also has a carb'd 362 that needs work that he has never been fond of.

Any input is appreciated, I just want to do something nice for my dad and make him happy. I can never repay him for what he has done for me as a young man and as a new father...but I'd like to do something to make his life and winter better. I still cut a lot of firewood for him as he is in his 50s and has ruined his body providing for us and doing more than his share for his family his entire life.

Might sound silly but this is kinda special to me. Let me know what you think, if I'm silly, if I'm doing a good thing, your opinion on a saw. Happy to listen to all of it.

Thanks guys.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys, I've been thinking about this for a while and I have a couple options. My dad heats his monster house with a outdoor wood furnace and can cut up to or exceeding 18 cord a year...or rather I've been doing that for some time.

Dear old dad has a very well used Stihl 036 that we are both very fond of. It has a minor air leak that can be tuned out and still starts and runs well after all these years. He uses a 20" bar on it and always has.

I guess I'm looking for input on what to do here. Do I have the 036 resealed, cleaned up and maybe some minor mods done to it to pep it up, or do I buy dad a new 562xpg (I get a nice deal on huskys) with heat to make his hands happy in the cold and muffler mod it for a bit more punch?

The 036 has been well used and is a long time favorite of ours. Dad also has a carb'd 362 that needs work that he has never been fond of.

Any input is appreciated, I just want to do something nice for my dad and make him happy. I can never repay him for what he has done for me as a young man and as a new father...but I'd like to do something to make his life and winter better. I still cut a lot of firewood for him as he is in his 50s and has ruined his body providing for us and doing more than his share for his family his entire life.

Might sound silly but this is kinda special to me. Let me know what you think, if I'm silly, if I'm doing a good thing, your opinion on a saw. Happy to listen to all of it.

Thanks guys.
Definitely a nice gesture on your part.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the fault with the 362?

In addition to a new Husqvarna saw it might be a good gesture to get the 362 working correctly and ported/muffler modded?

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the fault with the 362?

In addition to a new Husqvarna saw it might be a good gesture to get the 362 working correctly and ported/muffler modded?
The 362 has not been a good saw for him. It has always been temperamental, and when it wasn't temperamental it was broken or underpowered. He has a bad taste in his mouth about it.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d go with the 562xpg muffler mod it and throw a 20” tsumura light bar on it. The newest ones aren’t perfect, but they are a big improvement over the older ones.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks guys.
I'd say get him a 562. I've got one and I love it, and everybody that's run it has loved it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The older ya get, the more you appreciate a light saw. Is he cutting stuff big enough to justify the 562 or would a mkII 550 suffice? Either way, I'm sure he'll really appreciate the smoothness of the newer tech and the autotune. Good on ya for looking out for dad.

A few years ago steered my dad to a Husky 435. He did ok with it, but after a few seasons, he complained about the compression when starting. It doesn't have a decomp. So a friend gave me a Jonsered 2245 in-a-box. Piston was toast, so I put an oem 2250 top end on it, so dad now has a 50cc w/ decomp valve for easy startin'. He couldn't be happier. The plastic case kept the weight down for him (he's 76).

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good on 'ya for takin' care of your Dad.

I certainly agree about a lightweight saw. The 550 MKll is a very nice little saw, but can be a bear to start without the decomp... at least for me. My 562 starts easy.

The 550 would seem to be the perfect package if your Dad can get it started easily. There are parts for the starter to make it spin over easier... I think like the 545 if i remember correctly.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First and foremost, you are a good son. I think your dad wants a Stihl chainsaw. 261 Mtronic will check a lot of boxes. I had a 562, and it was really something right out of the box. I just could never get used to the way it looked. I only mention that since your dad and I may be close to the same age...Read that as “Old School”

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First and foremost, you are a good son. I think your dad wants a Stihl chainsaw. 261 Mtronic will check a lot of boxes. I had a 562, and it was really something right out of the box. I just could never get used to the way it looked. I only mention that since your dad and I may be close to the same age...Read that as “Old School”
Great post Duane! A MS261 is a killer saw and I like them more than a 562. It's light weight and probably a little cheaper than a 562. If you want to get it I can get you a good deal from my dealer. Also he can get a 550 or 562 if you want that one. Shoot me a pm if you want some prices on them.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the input, first and foremost.

Secondly a 60cc rig is what he likes best for a do it all kind of machine. He doesn't often fall trees anymore, he has me to do things like that. He mostly just cuts things 20" and smaller for firewood for his outdoor wood furnace.

As far as price goes, I don't ever get a break on stihls, but I can get a 20-30% break on huskys. Dad didn't even oppose a husky when I was talking about it. I took a moment to explain the prefiltration they utilize etc and that made him more interested .

The more I think about it I think I might get him a 562xpg with a light 20" and slowly rebuild/repair the 036. He would like a reliable backup I think.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Key takeaway for me is the Love you have for your Father, any saw you get Him will mean the world to Him!
I liked this because I can't love it lol I don't deserve the love and excellence he has given me, but I'm going to try to give him a token of my admiration.

Jchin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr TreeLife, what you are doing for your father is a great gesture in today’s time.

I may be of assistance to you. I am a retire senior with many saws in my collection. You must remember a few things about older seniors. Saws with too much compression maybe hard to start without a decompression valve, saws that weight too much will tired them faster at the end of the day. These are some of that factors I found for myself as I got older.

I could bring down to you and your father and let him see, start, and cut with the saws. This way he will have a better idea what would fit him the best. I have the following saws I could bring down:

Husqvarna 562xp, 555, 550xp, 545, 550xp Markll, Stihl MS261CM

I am about 2 1/2 hours away from the Berkshire County, MA.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. Thanks.

Jack

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr TreeLife, what you are doing for your father is a great gesture in today’s time.

I may be of assistance to you. I am a retire senior with many saws in my collection. You must remember a few things about older seniors. Saws with too much compression maybe hard to start without a decompression valve, saws that weight too much will tired them faster at the end of the day. These are some of that factors I found for myself as I got older.

I could bring down to you and your father and let him see, start, and cut with the saws. This way he will have a better idea what would fit him the best. I have the following saws I could bring down:

Husqvarna 562xp, 555, 550xp, 545, 550xp Markll, Stihl MS261CM

I am about 2 1/2 hours away from the Berkshire County, MA.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. Thanks.

Jack
Man, that is an awesome gesture on your part. There are some great folks on this forum and you sir are one of them.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk