trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I split my ordering. 1 Stihl dealer in my area I went to school with, know him well, he's a good guy but he wouldn't cut his mother a break. I order from him only as a last resort and he always charges me shipping. 1 little independent dealer is my favorite place to go because he has helped me so much in understanding saws and gives me a super break on used parts but if I need it quick he's not the one to go to because he's so small. If I don't need it quick then I usually order it from him. If I need it really quick I go to ebay and pay the lowest price for the fastest shipping. Usually works out. Stihl parts are starting to come down but still are outrageously high. I would drive 45 minutes to go to a dealer that I felt comfortable with. Sometimes there's more to service than just price.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are only about 3 hours west... That's close lol

Sent from my iStump using Tapatalk

logeeland

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I order parts before they place their weekly order I get the parts within 3 days. If I miss it I get the part within 6 to 7 business days. I never get charged for shipping. They are a big dealer and put in a bigger then $350 order every week to get free shipping. There is another dealer in town that orders once a month if you are lucky. They enjoy porking people the $15 to add on shipping.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My biggest complaint is that the prices vary greatly between dealers. When I needed an oem 036 piston for the @drf255 build, I was quoted (iirc) $120, $57, and $40 for the exact same part number. When I questioned the most expensive dealer why his price was so high he replied something to the effect of the other dealer must have looked up the wrong part or it must be aftermarket. He would not match it. Obviously I went with the $40 part. The cheapest dealer doesn't charge me shipping, but the two others do.

Since they have to order everything anyways, I try to use Dave for my Stihl parts.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My biggest complaint is that the prices vary greatly between dealers. When I needed an oem 036 piston for the @drf255 build, I was quoted (iirc) $120, $57, and $40 for the exact same part number. When I questioned the most expensive dealer why his price was so high he replied something to the effect of the other dealer must have looked up the wrong part or it must be aftermarket. He would not match it. Obviously I went with the $40 part. The cheapest dealer doesn't charge me shipping, but the two others do.

Since they have to order everything anyways, I try to use Dave for my Stihl parts.
Some Stihl dealers bought piston stock before the price drop. they marked the boxes with the vintage price and don't want to lose money. Others just don't like competition and once they realize you're not an actual dealer. they'll put the squeeze on you by ordering the wrong part or flat out run you off.
We need more people like @Definitive Dave.

species8472

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to my dealer to order a part he said they just put in order a week ago.
I said just get my part plus freight it turned up three days later .
His order took another two weeks.

Last edited:

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DDave is my goto Stihl guy.

My dealer has zero parts in stock, even basics like fuel lines for the most common saws.
Normally they get me my parts in 2-3 days though.

Dave normally has most of what I need in stock and can get them to me in 2-3 days.

Even though the guy is flakier than a three dollar bill, I just call Dave now.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DDave is my goto Stihl guy.

My dealer has zero parts in stock, even basics like fuel lines for the most common saws.
Normally they get me my parts in 2-3 days though.

Dave normally has most of what I need in stock and can get them to me in 2-3 days.

Even though the guy is flakier than a three dollar bill, I just call Dave now.

come on guys don't hold back call it as we see it hes one of us and that opens up a hol other can of worms !

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to learn to pay attention better.
I think Ross paid me a compliment after I ordered him the completely wrong part twice and Mike wants to have me checked for worms?

Had a customer from EBay start a return on an ms290 aftermarket rear handle because it won't fit his Ms361 yesterday

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
come on guys don't hold back call it as we see it hes one of us and that opens up a hol other can of worms !

True, although he has a wife though, so is he REALLY one of us:D

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to learn to pay attention better.
I think Ross paid me a compliment after I ordered him the completely wrong part twice and Mike wants to have me checked for worms?

Had a customer from EBay start a return on an ms290 aftermarket rear handle because it won't fit his Ms361 yesterday

Plus that top handle made it here today.

I was half expecting a tank to show up in the box:D

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have noticed something that has not been brought up in this thread. It seems most feel the reason they are not getting their parts in a timely manner is the fault of the dealership. I know some are having issues with dealers waiting to place orders to get the free shipping. I fully understand that and that is fine. What no one has mentioned is it makes no difference whatsoever when the dealer places the order if the distributor does not have the part. I have waiting anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months and still sometimes never get a common part. Heck a chain adjuster for a 440 took 3-4 weeks

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get my parts from the largest Toro/Wheelhorse dealer in the USA .Plus the largest Stihl dealer in this area . He orders parts from a jobber in Cincinnati twice a week .It's never more than a couple days wait .Real good people to deal with .What few Husqvarna parts I get from a dealer in North Carolina ,those they can ship .

You can find a good dealer you just have to look for one unless you live in the outback 100 miles from no where .I think there must be at least a half dozen within 20 miles of me .

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've heard Husky isn't very fast at getting parts shipped either .

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a dealer that gives me good prices but it takes a while to get anything that has to be ordered. I compared two other dealers for a clutch side seal for a MS460. One dealer was $6.79 and had 3 in stock the other wanted $11.50 and would have to order it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get my parts from the largest Toro/Wheelhorse dealer in the USA .Plus the largest Stihl dealer in this area . He orders parts from a jobber in Cincinnati twice a week .It's never more than a couple days wait .Real good people to deal with .What few Husqvarna parts I get from a dealer in North Carolina ,those they can ship .

You can find a good dealer you just have to look for one unless you live in the outback 100 miles from no where .I think there must be at least a half dozen within 20 miles of me .

Al,

Who is the distributor? MVS was bought out here a few yaers back and teh warehouse was moved to Wisconsin. This was supposed to be an improvement. It was not