Question about ordering parts from Stihl dealers

Ktoom

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, im gonna rant a little bit, why does it take so long for my parts to come in at my local Stihl????

Ordered parts 2 weds ago. I called today and the guys says "ummmm it says they shipped, but we dont have a tracking number". Needless to say now i really need them to finish up a few jobs. Is it possible that this dealer waited till he had a big enough order before placing it? How does it all really work????

I use to dislike this dealer until he finally started stocking normal parts like air filters, fuel filter and carb kits. Also, they are only 10mins down the road. Ive been giving them alot of business the past 6 months. Did i mention they are an Ace hardware store lol. They have a really nice Husqvarna and Stihl setups in their store. They also seem to be stocking more stuff.

One of the really good dealers i go to is 45mins away. He told me he orders Stihl parts everyday. Problem is that he is so far away and im never in that area.

Do dealers wait till they have a big order before placing an order or will they order parts every day reguardless order size?

Thanks

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a good dealer now that will have me parts in a couple days the one i quit dealing with did the same thing to me wait 3 weeks and finally call stihl and have them order the parts for me and add to the dealers order

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd bet he waited for a big enough order to get free freight.
Exactly. My dealer charges me for the shipping if it's under the minimum and I need it in a hurry. I can understand though.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I refuse to go to my local stihl dealer. Everytime I go they don't have what I need and are waaay over priced. The last time I was in, I wanted a 18 inch .325 chain. 30 dollars for a chain. I told him to keep it. Then wanted 45 for a clutch cover for a ms170. From now on I'm gonna order from D Dave. His prices and fast shipping are great. [emoji14]

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Husky dealer orders every day. Sometimes I pay a little more to cover shipping but most of the time I don't.

They're not a mom and pop though. Huge Kubota dealer and the PowerLine and gas companies use them a lot.

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I refuse to go to my local stihl dealer. Everytime I go they don't have what I need and are waaay over priced. The last time I was in, I wanted a 18 inch .325 chain. 30 dollars for a chain. I told him to keep it. Then wanted 45 for a clutch cover for a ms170. From now on I'm gonna order from D Dave. His prices and fast shipping are great. [emoji14]
It's all about finding a good dealer. I'll drive 30 minutes out of the way, passing 3 others on the way to mine. If I call and need parts they order them. No deposit, no BS. We trust each other.
Dave's a good option, too.

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Husky dealer orders every day. Sometimes I pay a little more to cover shipping but most of the time I don't.

They're not a mom and pop though. Huge Kubota dealer and the PowerLine and gas companies use them a lot.
There's something to be said for a small shop that knows your name when you walk in or give them a call. Better customer service.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have very good husky/dolmar dealer I go to. He's almost an hour away but we'll worth it. He also carries some stihl parts.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Absolutely. Just yesterday I called to order parts and couldn't get off the phone. He heatd i had an emergency removal of my appendix and that led to us comparing appendix issues over the phone and I know he had customers standing in front of him. Sorta odd, I know. Lol

I suppose they are mom and pop but they do a lot of business for the area I'm in.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me give you a dealers perspective on this, there are two schools of thought:

1: Wait until you gave minimum in order to get Free Shipping and save the customer some money unless he/she specifically says they need it ASAP and then inform them of what the shipping charges will be.

2: Order everyday and build the shipping cost into your parts cost.

I have worked for shops that have done both and either you are too slow getting parts but your prices are reasonable or your fast but your prices are too high, really it's a no win situation.

Joe

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I need stuff quick forn stihl I get on ebay and buy it. If not I get my dealer to get it

Chris Zautner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, im gonna rant a little bit, why does it take so long for my parts to come in at my local Stihl????

Ordered parts 2 weds ago. I called today and the guys says "ummmm it says they shipped, but we dont have a tracking number". Needless to say now i really need them to finish up a few jobs. Is it possible that this dealer waited till he had a big enough order before placing it? How does it all really work????

I use to dislike this dealer until he finally started stocking normal parts like air filters, fuel filter and carb kits. Also, they are only 10mins down the road. Ive been giving them alot of business the past 6 months. Did i mention they are an Ace hardware store lol. They have a really nice Husqvarna and Stihl setups in their store. They also seem to be stocking more stuff.

One of the really good dealers i go to is 45mins away. He told me he orders Stihl parts everyday. Problem is that he is so far away and im never in that area.

Do dealers wait till they have a big order before placing an order or will they order parts every day reguardless order size?

Thanks
it doesn't really matter if the order is big enough you still have to pay the shipping. well at least I do.

Ktoom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would much rather have my parts quicker and pay a little more. Doesnt bother me one bit if i have to pay extra for convinience. I GOTTA HAVE IT
LOLOLOL.

I will talk to the dealer when I go back in and mention to him about paying the shipping to have parts quicker. Im honestly trying to build a good relationship with this dealer.... even though they are a hardware/nursery store.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it doesn't really matter if the order is big enough you still have to pay the shipping. well at least I do.
I believe I pay some but not all the shipping as they are able to divide that cost out across the total order. In my case anywho

Ktoom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me give you a dealers perspective on this, there are two schools of thought:

1: Wait until you gave minimum in order to get Free Shipping and save the customer some money unless he/she specifically says they need it ASAP and then inform them of what the shipping charges will be.

2: Order everyday and build the shipping cost into your parts cost.

I have worked for shops that have done both and either you are too slow getting parts but your prices are reasonable or your fast but your prices are too high, really it's a no win situation.

Joe

Thank you for the insider insight!!!

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would much rather have my parts quicker and pay a little more. Doesnt bother me one bit if i have to pay extra for convinience. I GOTTA HAVE IT
LOLOLOL.

I will talk to the dealer when I go back in and mention to him about paying the shipping to have parts quicker. Im honestly trying to build a good relationship with this dealer.... even though they are a hardware/nursery store.
Nursery store? They sell kids? Interesting.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any time i order small less expencive they alway tell me it may be a day or two till they get enough for an order. If i need some thimg asap i think it got to be over 30 bucks. Usually takes about two or three days from when they put the order in for stuff two come in.