High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Post your Firewood Stacking Method

Blondy Tom Moore

New OPE Member
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm looking for idea on how to stack my firewood. I was going to build steel racks with metal drops but the cheapest I can do is like $250 for enough to hold 5 cords. I could get aluminum angle for cheaper but aint no body want to do that much aluminum tig welding for some stupid racks. I dont really want to just put it on the ground or build wood racks since thats just going to make the bottom wood rot or at least make it take forever to dry. So what do you do?
I just fill my chopped wood into 4 x 4 x 4 foot bags with vented mesh sides. It is fast and no downtime in stacking. See attached video of how we process our timber:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What was that thing you were using to cut those sticks? lol
Where are your real saws?
Welcome.

Blondy Tom Moore

New OPE Member
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What was that thing you were using to cut those sticks? lol
Where are your real saws?
Welcome.
Ya . . . I know! We live in a wet climate and do most of our processing indoors. I am in the market for a really powerful electric chainsaw but I don't know if any such a weapon exists.

brainie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We bought these 2 from FFA Students in Hancock MD. Each one holds very near 3 cords....
0713182038.jpg
Plan on building 1 or 2 this spring after burn season before I replenish the wood I burn from here this winter.
0611181709.jpg

Capp

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@brainie

Just curious, but do you measure the length of each piece you cut? They all look very even. [emoji106]

I learned to make my stacks look better, by using the same principle I learned when working in a grocery store in high school: Face the pile. Place the pieces so that they line up pretty nicely on one side. The back side might look like hell, but it looks good from the side you can see. With a double-width stack, you can face both sides, and the middle is ugly.

brainie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@brainie

Just curious, but do you measure the length of each piece you cut? They all look very even. [emoji106]
Yes....I do. I use my echo 352 with an adjustable rod with an earth magnet. I set it for 16" 95% of the time.
After limbing...I go thru n just score my marks n if I need a bigger saw ill grab one of those. This doesn't take much more time at all n it makes stacking so much easier...I feel....

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh. OK. I do the same. I measure each piece. 16 inches. I learned the hard way, some that are tool long do not fit into stove.
Measuring each piece also makes the piles look much neater when stacked.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not real pretty but efficient. When green 4' 4" tall, rows wide and 150' long. Sells out every year.

ofvx9h.jpg

2wgsxma.jpg

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I get free pallets from the local lumberyard, and I lay them out on the ground, then I start making a "wall" of logs criss-crossed with one layer of logs on top of another layer at 90° (this keeps the "walls" balanced and stable), and I make these stacked "walls" on three exterior edges of my "pallet platform."

Then I just toss logs into a pile, using these "walls" as backstops. So what you have at the end is a big chaotic pile, with vertical walls on three sides.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get free pallets from the local lumberyard, and I lay them out on the ground, then I start making a "wall" of logs criss-crossed with one layer of logs on top of another layer at 90° (this keeps the "walls" balanced and stable), and I make these stacked "walls" on three exterior edges of my "pallet platform."

Then I just toss logs into a pile, using these "walls" as backstops. So what you have at the end is a big chaotic pile, with vertical walls on three sides.

Pics pls.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what do you use to process that much wood?

Up until this year I used a Speeco 28 ton splitter. Just a retired guy with a bunch of chainsaws, with time during the Winter so I don't go crazy in this God forsaken State.

This year I picked up a used Iron & Oak Commercial splitter, with log lift and a hydro 4 way wedge. Talked to the Superintendant at the golf course this morning and I can have all the trunks of the aprox. 100 ash trees that are coming down this Winter. The wood will be stacked in 8' 4" sticks on level ground next to the shop. Looks I can leave the splitter in the shop and split on the spot and haul home in the 18' trailer. The course is 4 miles from home.

Splitter:

k96uc9.jpg

wchffr.jpg

3boko.jpg

9kxvdc.jpg

1hv3mt.jpg