Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting video Ryan. Thanks for sharing it. Looks like traditional way of storing and stacking wood is better.
On a side note, could we take up a collection and buy the kid a pair of pants that aren't ripped? LMAO

I've made a couple of those holzhausen piles myself. I do like that they look cool and require a lot less stacking. I think you'd also have to do a pretty bad job to have one tip over. But yeah, after watching Eric's video I'd be pretty skeptical of any sort of improved drying. Horses for courses I suppose.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know him?

No, but I've watched several of his videos. He lives a couple hours or so from me. I've invited him and his family for dinner. They travel near my place on the way to visit family in Milwaukee. I don't know if they'll take me up on it, but it'd be cool. He seems like a real nice guy. Pretty into firewood and gardening, which I am too. Makes nice videos too.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
350F2A3A-7647-46FC-B1C3-1BEA7C6C57E5.jpeg I buy repurposed industrial plastic pallets, 52”x52”x6”, drive heavy t-posts on ends, cover top of t-post with a tennis ball to prevent tearing the tarp covering. When 2 pallets are full I know I have a cord. I have 30 pallets so 15 cords on hand.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see many like to put a tarp or roof/shelter over their woodpile. This is presumably to prevent rain wetting the wood. I wonder whether those guys think getting the wood wet will make it absorb moisture? I don't cover my wood stack but do get it off the ground/damp using pallets. Also positioning it in a spot that gets good sunlight I find useful. I only have a lil wood stack but it does the job keeping me warm.IMG_20180710_152840.jpg

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I’ll paste shipping labels on my ‘stack’ to decoy porch pirates. [emoji848]
832f95100f6f2d2b1b269c39ff9e201c.jpg

It’s just emergency fireplace wood for us townies.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my limited first-hand testing:

- The most important thing to do is get the wood off the ground. Pallets are free if you know where to look, and will last at least a few years. (When I've piled or stacked on the ground, the bottom half of the stack or pile is wet and/or moldy)

- The next step is to promote airflow. Long rows of stacks, 1-2 rows wide will dry more quickly than piles, or multiple rows of stacks. Don't worry about stacking it tight, just make sure it's stable. (Stacked wood seasons in a year or so for me. Piles NEVER dry out, especially directly on the ground)

- I'm not all that worried about covering my stacks. I might put some big pieces of bark or something up there if I'm in the mood, but it doesn't really do anything. A well ranked stack will shed much of the rain that falls on it. The top couple pieces of wood might be a little wet during rain, but they dry out first, so in all, it seasons just as fast as the bottom of the pile, if not a little faster.

- T-posts are nice to stabilize the ends, but careful stacking can make them unnecessary. Use similar sized splits to build your ends up in an alternating criss-cross pattern, and key in every few layers to the larger stack, to stabilize.

I have seen people cover their piles or stacks, and when they open them up, it's nothing but mold and rot in there. Remember, the whole point of seasoning wood is to let the moisture OUT.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tarp mine in the fall. More to keep snow out of the house than anything else. Lol.
Whatever saves me some work.
I do the same. The stacks sit uncovered until it's time to start burning. I cover the tops to keep the wood dry and snow free.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I’ll paste shipping labels on my ‘stack’ to decoy porch pirates. [emoji848]
832f95100f6f2d2b1b269c39ff9e201c.jpg

It’s just emergency fireplace wood for us townies.
We used to occasionally get some of those from the saw mill up the road, until the demand increased and the price got stupid. A 22cuft stack goes for $50 now.
It's good wood, all Oak.