High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How much can you fell/buck/split/stack by hand in a day?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hate to bust your balls @drf256 but that’s no skidder. That’s a CTL (compact track loader). Some call a skid steer. Either way, very nice setup!

This is a skidder:View attachment 416714

I have friends (even people who are in the tree service industry) that call skid steers "skidders" also. I never understood it. Though, in my particular area, I've almost never seen an actual skidder, so that may have something to do with it. Also, I hear a skid steers called a "skiddy". Maybe it evolved from that.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have friends (even people who are in the tree service industry) that call skid steers "skidders" also. I never understood it. Though, in my particular area, I've almost never seen an actual skidder, so that may have something to do with it. Also, I hear a skid steers called a "skiddy". Maybe it evolved from that.
Probably a local dialect thing for sure. Around here, most are very particular about machine terminology.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to share advice when each region and trees species are so different. But I tend to not use a hydraulic wood splitter because they're so slow and boring.

If it's a massive tree that would be difficult to split, that gets saved for a saw log. I tend to keep firewood at 18" diameter or smaller.

I don't typically upright bucked pieces of wood to split. I just bust it open where it lays. It's really fast, if u can deal with your heart wanting to explode out yer chest towards the end of a tree.

It's a game of handling the wood as minimally as you can. The less steps, the quicker the cord. A pickaroon really speed up my unloading. When delivering, can pick n chuck an entire cord out of the bed in about 10 minutes.

I honestly can't run 40-50 cc saws, they're too slow and 20" bars are silly, fatigues my lower back. Also, I can't run fancy expensive bars/chains, cuts into profit. 24" versacuts on 60-67 cc saws and a cheap role of EXL seems to be my money makers.

I'm usually making $800 a day (2 cords). If someone backs out, I just park the load at the grocery store in town with a for sale sign at lunch time. It's sold before I finish my lunch.
20240414-134454.jpg

20240419-181050.jpg

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably a local dialect thing for sure. Around here, most are very particular about machine terminology.
Yessir I was expecting a pic of a Tree Farmer, TimberJack, JD, shortwood/bunk/forwarder or cable or clam or even an old Clark or Franklin Iron Mule.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Folks here are also
Skidders are log skidders
Skid-steers are skid-steers......some call them Bobcats due to the original brand name
A tracked skid-steer is a tracked skid-steer
I track loader is a track loader
A wheel loader is a wheel loader

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I guess I have a CTL or a Tracked Skid-Steer. Not sure which to call it, but IDGAF anyhow.

My understanding of the use of the word “skid” is that there are no articulating steering wheels, and by virtue of geometry and physics, the wheels have to “skid” during turns to make up for the difference in length of the inner/outer arc of a turn.

I just call it “the machine” and it helps me do lots of work for a few dollars of diesel.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
by definition would this also qualify as a skidloader?:rolleyes::D
Go tell the folks running a 983 that it is skidloader.........

Note the skidloader in the background

1713906905114.png