Post your Firewood Stacking Method

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Up until this year I used a Speeco 28 ton splitter. Just a retired guy with a bunch of chainsaws, with time during the Winter so I don't go crazy in this God forsaken State.

This year I picked up a used Iron & Oak Commercial splitter, with log lift and a hydro 4 way wedge. Talked to the Superintendant at the golf course this morning and I can have all the trunks of the aprox. 100 ash trees that are coming down this Winter. The wood will be stacked in 8' 4" sticks on level ground next to the shop. Looks I can leave the splitter in the shop and split on the spot and haul home in the 18' trailer. The course is 4 miles from home.

Splitter:

k96uc9.jpg

wchffr.jpg

3boko.jpg

9kxvdc.jpg

1hv3mt.jpg
I like my iron and oak splitter as well. Mines not as heavy duty as yours though. Mine is a 22 ton vertical/horizontal with 5hp Honda on it. Got it 2 years old from united rentals when they bought new splitters. I had pick of about 6 units. Paid $1100 for it. It had had regular maintenance as a rental and I feel I got a good deal considering a new one is 2400 plus tax.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like my iron and oak splitter as well. Mines not as heavy duty as yours though. Mine is a 22 ton vertical/horizontal with 5hp Honda on it. Got it 2 years old from united rentals when they bought new splitters. I had pick of about 6 units. Paid $1100 for it. It had had regular maintenance as a rental and I feel I got a good deal considering a new one is 2400 plus tax.

I wanted a better/bigger splitter with log lift and hydro 4 way. I wanted Alex from A. E. MetalWerx to make me one but he couldn't get to it this year as he is building a new shop and moving. I got this I & O used for 40% of what the new one would have cost. The splitters Alex makes is by far the nicest splitters I have ever seen. Makes a Timberwolf look like a high school kid's shop project.

Click on his photos:

https://www.facebook.com/aemetalwerx/

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For customers when I deliver:
FirewoodStackMethod.gif
That means they can forget buying a metal log holder at the HI centers. These logs as shown are round but mine are split. The criss-cross stacks on the ends are known as crib stacking. One of my customers told me this term -- a former English teacher.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For customers when I deliver:
View attachment 154698
That means they can forget buying a metal log holder at the HI centers. These logs as shown are round but mine are split. The criss-cross stacks on the ends are known as crib stacking. One of my customers told me this term -- a former English teacher.

I do that for my stacking. As soon as wood dries snd shrinks my stacks fall over and wash out. LMAO

Jeff, I find it helps if I batter the ends a bit (slope the end of the stack inward), and also key the layers together. I need to take a picture to illustrate better, but basically, the criss-cross layer that goes perpendicular to the main stack gets recessed a little bit into the stack, then the following parallel layer is set so that the inner piece lays partially on the perpendicular piece below, and partially on the parallel piece next to it. That helps bind the stack together, and they stay upright more often than if I just stacked my ends straight up:

OOOOOOOOOOO===
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOO===
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOO===

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Chris. Only time I got a real nice stack to stay put was when I cut some smaller 4 ft lengths and wove them into the pile. The weight on the 4 footers helped from washing out.

On a side note my Holzhausen piles are still standing. Lol

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The reason the crib stacking works is because about 90% of the weight of the rest of the stack is straight down. Also, the rest of the stack usually helps the cribs on the ends hold together. The real secret, however, is to (1) make sure the center log of the crisscross is not as thick as the two on the outside and (2) the two logs on the outside are about the same thickness. That avoids rocking and lean.

Last edited: