ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Porting value:

for all the porters out there.....

at what point do you change what you charge for porting a saw? I understand some saws require massive amounts of work and some very little but does a cut base and popup really justify $200-300? Is that fair to your customers charging full boat for a job that could be done at home by most guys that have a local machine shop.
Some of the west coast fellas charge $400 for port work and don't machine anything at all.
So I'd think it's a matter of perspective eh?
Is a person paying for chrome? Or performance gains?

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it need a popup, or can you just cut the squish. I'm talking about a 550/545.
Nope. A cut squish and grind job on the uppers will net you the same effect but a tick more compression.
Notice I didn't say faster per se..
Most all of the 562's I've run ran very similar as far as speed.
From bout 6 different builders.
And all great saws might I add.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the west coast fellas charge $400 for port work and don't machine anything at all.
So I'd think it's a matter of perspective eh?
Is a person paying for chrome? Or performance gains?

Ten years ago guys were paying $250 for a little port work, no machining, and a bolt-on deflector on the muffler.

Madsen's charges $85 to do a little grinding on the piston. Walker's does big muffler mods and fairly extensive porting but no machine work or nothing to the carburetor and timing.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
listen guys...i didnt post this for a mob mentality attack...it is a learning thing for me and everyone else involved

OK then, back on topic:

So i had a saw cross my bench this week and it got me thinking....at what point do you get what you paid for with porting?

You get what you paid for having mechanical modifications done to your professional tools when you have used the tool to produce enough percentage above what the tool did stock to ROI a profit.

The saw owner needs rudimentary knowledge of the workings of the tool and must be compelled and able to keep everything in tune. That's the saw owner's responsibility. Now an experienced mechanic has it in his charge to differentiate between skilled operators and unskilled enthusiast. Quid pro quo, the enthusiast receives the same fire-breathing demon the pro buys. The ethical mechanic would simply need to make the choice as to how he balances time spent acting as mechanic and milling out a uniform product for the market in general and babysitting folks who suddenly have too much firepower. In the end he may need to adjust which area of the market he targets.

Hello it's modified. Quarter Horse and Belgians don't respond the same to the level or quality of care you give your Shetland Pony.

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So if the carb and bearings are covered, why isnt the cylinder also covered
were the carb and bearing covered by the factory warranty? technically the factory warranty on this saw was void the minute it was modified. maybe clarification on what the word "warranty" is meaning in this case. are we considering the "warranty" being handled by the builder out of his pocket? or the factory taking care of the warranty. if the ladder is true, and the factory is handling the warranty, its possible that the builder/dealer got the lower end rebuild and carb covered by the factory...but there is no way a factory would warranty that cylinder as it has obviously had work done to it. no comment on the amount of work...I don't know enough about porting chainsaw engines.

jasper89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a potential customer for some saw porting, what do you guys recommend, some kind of contract (estimate) that explains in detail what modifications will be made?
What kind of measurable work will be done?
There are some consumers that want the "saw to scream" and I don't know how anyone can measure that.
Or do you just find the guy with the best reputation and just trust that the outcome will meet your expectations.
I have no agenda here, just want to learn.

Frank

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
were the carb and bearing covered by the factory warranty? technically the factory warranty on this saw was void the minute it was modified. maybe clarification on what the word "warranty" is meaning in this case. are we considering the "warranty" being handled by the builder out of his pocket? or the factory taking care of the warranty. if the ladder is true, and the factory is handling the warranty, its possible that the builder/dealer got the lower end rebuild and carb covered by the factory...but there is no way a factory would warranty that cylinder as it has obviously had work done to it. no comment on the amount of work...I don't know enough about porting chainsaw engines.
The jug and piston had been machined, and therefore a dealer could not send it back to the factory if called upon to do so. The carb and crank could.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crank bearing have failed on stock new or low hour saws. You take a new saw and void the warranty from the get go by having mods done, that's a gamble the buyer takes. The manufacturer hands are washed of responsibility.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a potential customer for some saw porting, what do you guys recommend, some kind of contract (estimate) that explains in detail what modifications will be made?
There are some consumers that want the "saw to scream" and I don't know how anyone can measure that.
Or do you just find the guy with the best reputation and just trust that the outcome will meet your expectations.

Frank

Ask around......there are a lot of guys that do really good work right here on this forum.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
no way of knowing that without the builder coming forward and telling how things went down. as far as the customer is concerned..it was covered by warranty from my understanding.

i am working with allot of he said, she said information...there is a reason i wont name, names....not interested in burning someone when i dont have the whole story. I have asked for copies of the PM's from the owner of the saw....he doesnt think he still has them so at best all this will ever be is a he said/she said deal but it does still have valid points to it. warranty work, expectations, cost

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Frank
spend a few months reading posts, you will aquire a sense of what kind of saw and service different guys offer
attending a get together is a good way to try one or twenty before spending your money
also a good idea to have firmly in mind what and how often you cut, how heavy and loud you are comfortable with
in the rub its just chainsaws and money and wherever you decide to send both should make you comfortable before and after the sale
Dave

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The jug and piston had been machined, and therefore a dealer could not send it back to the factory if called upon to do so. The carb and crank could.
yes I agree...was the crankshaft replaced as well? that's not really relevant...im just curious.