High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Porting tools what's out there for the poor man like me.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
10:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best advice I could give you is to buy right/buy once.

I made the error of doing just what you are doing now, wasting money, then eventually just buying the good stuff.

I wish there was an alternative I could offer as a suggestion, but there is not.

Anyone wanna buy a Dremel Right angle attachment NIB? It will fit in any bore bigger than an 090.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I made the error of doing just what you are doing now, wasting money, then eventually just buying the good stuff.

I wish there was an alternative I could offer as a suggestion, but there is not.

Anyone wanna buy a Dremel Right angle attachment NIB? It will fit in any bore bigger than an 090.
Post a picture of it please. Lol. And I do understand what you mean about the cheap stuff but that's all I could afford but paying a grand total of $80 plus some bits and a two year warranty i mean what the heck that's pretty good.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
5:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found a Chicago Pneumatic pencil grinder with 1/4" collet for exhausts, cleaning cylinders and what not. Amazon has them for just over $100. I got a Best Offer deal on eBay for $68.

Lol. Anything bigger than an 090? I don't think there are too many saws around here over 137cc's. I'd have to take up porting motorbikes.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll agree with that. I wrap gorilla tape around them so the end doesn't loosen up. I end up not feeling the heat as much because of that. The few that I bought from you run much cooler

I probably have 15 minutes of machine work and fitting into each one of those. After that they are really good handpieces, I still have around 10 that I use frequently.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Post a picture of it please. Lol. And I do understand what you mean about the cheap stuff but that's all I could afford but paying a grand total of $80 plus some bits and a two year warranty i mean what the heck that's pretty good.
U can use cutoff Discs stacked on a Dremel wheel for transfers if you need to.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
U can use cutoff Discs stacked on a Dremel wheel for transfers if you need to.
Most of the saws in my garage are still like that. On the narrower 4-port transfers, I used an end-cut burr to get in there. Gotta do what ya gotta do. They run fine like that. But the MC182 sure makes it nice for getting to the back wall

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This is the best advice you got dude.

brshephard

Stihl saws, Husky women
Local time
8:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Can you guys share some of your knowledge on straight hand pieces?
What sizes do you run?
What works best for various cylinders?

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Same here . Go ahead and spend the bucks. I too have a Dremel RA NIB except I'll give you a better deal FREE you pay ship.
Shep

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you guys share some of your knowledge on straight hand pieces?
What sizes do you run?
What works best for various cylinders?

Foredom #44 for 1/4” shaft stuff or the heavy cutting 1/8” shaft burr.
Foredom #28 for finish burrs or diamond stones 1/8” shaft.
Foredom #30 (drill chuck) for random stuff but they only chuck up to 7/32”.

I have some mastercarver stealth drill chuck handpieces and some China ones just like them. They can chuck up to 1/4” shaft burrs very well and take the abuse of heavy cutting.

I have one mastercarver detail handpiece. It’s the older style one and I don’t like it very well. Same size as the foredom #28 which I’d much rather use.

Foredom #8 is great for fine detail work or really tight spaces but they can get hot with extended use.

I could order and modify more of the China 1/4” capacity chuck style handpieces if I had enough people interested in them.

brshephard

Stihl saws, Husky women
Local time
8:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score

I have some mastercarver stealth drill chuck handpieces and some China ones just like them. They can chuck up to 1/4” shaft burrs very well and take the abuse of heavy cutting.

I have one mastercarver detail handpiece. It’s the older style one and I don’t like it very well. Same size as the foredom #28 which I’d much rather use.

Foredom #8 is great for fine detail work or really tight spaces but they can get hot with extended use.

I could order and modify more of the China 1/4” capacity chuck style handpieces if I had enough people interested in them.

Those modded handpieces sound pretty slick. I'll buy one if you make more.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had good luck just chamfering the piston to move the transfers. I wouldnt try and do much more than 10deg worth of duration (or less) that way or else you end up really close to the ring land and end up with a pretty extreme entry angle for the transfer making the powerband more peaky.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I left my porting tools (motorcycles) in California 36 years ago when I immigrated to Oz. However, they would never have worked in the smaller chainsaw cylinders anyway.

Like 'Leafy', I just tweak the tops of the pistons to get the transfers matched up side to side (shine a light up the transfers to see when they open). I'm not much into raising the transfers, it reduces the 'induction stroke' from the transfer closing to TDC.

On my 450 Husky, I was able to increase the area (time/area) of the transfers 12.5% by just widening the transfer - no raising. It had removable transfer covers.

I've been able to get most of my work done with a crappy Dremel and some chainsaw files that I snapped off the tang and coated the end with some electrical goop that prevents the file from scratching the cylinder if I get clumsy. I just 'pull' the file back through the port to trim the edges and not chip the cylinder lining by filing inward.

I'd love to do a proper port job on some of my saws, but I'm not a racer, just a firewood hack. If I was to purchase the proper equipment to do what I'd like to do, it would be a lot cheaper to just send it to one of the porters on this site.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would take a couple if you make a batch sir.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Widen that transfer port choke point. The uppers look good and tight. Nice work there.
Thank you it wasn't easy do the upper transfer with the cutoff and 90 grit but it worked. Lol. How much wider do you think I should take it because I normally just clean up the casting?

odin

100% noodle arms
Local time
9:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm pretty ignorant about such things, but my understanding is that one would rather leave the "throat" of the transfer tunnel alone as widening decreases transfer velocity (visualize putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose to increase the power of the stream of water).

Someone wanna school me???