Newbie help with tuning

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I've thought about it but I'm afraid with my luck I'd roast them.

If I didn't have bad luck I'd have none

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something that helped me and I still do from time to time is video tuning and a cut. Then listen back to it, it's much easier to hear the tune when you can focus only on it and not everything else that's going on.

I second this -- I can hear 4 stroking so much better in a video than I can live.

Also -- when someone else is cutting or piss revving from about 10 feet away or more, my ears will zone in so much better on 4 stroke sounds than when I'm the operator. Try having a friend run the saw and back away quite a bit and listen. I also enjoy listening to a 2 stroke w/ muff mod when I'm a bit of distance the louder sound is music to my ears.

Best sound to date was Lee Harvey's bored out Sachs Dolmar 166 at my property which is in the woods the echo off the trees was some of the coolest saw sounds I've ever heard :)

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so I have tuned the 660, even at right off full out (counter clockwise) with a touch back she is still turning 13,400-13,800.
After a full tank of ethanol free 50:1 the serial number right off the side of the muffler is covered in soot/carbon to the point I can't read it.
Just seems rich, but it's turning pretty high still. Cleans up it the cut, blubbers out of the cut.

The 461 in the same spot (on the h adjustment) still hits the limiter, but it doesn't seem to be putting off any soot/carbon.

Seem normal?

ppxstnr

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You're gonna have to pull the limiters. I pulled mine on my 461. After it broke in, it was too lean. I pulled mine, cut the tabs, then reinstalled. They help steady the screw as there's no spring on them.

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Look at the spark plug.

Edit on this chart you want to be "Rick but ok". Sorry it's for a regular 4 cycle. In other words if it looks like a Hershey's bar or a little lighter, perfect.
spark-plug-condition-colour-640x266.jpg

Last edited: