Newbie help with tuning

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok gents so I have searched and watched a ton of awesome videos on tuning, thanks to all that posted in those threads and posted videos. Issue is I've never had anyone teach me or show me to tune a saw and a video can only go so far. So I attempted with my 660 in the cut, carb limiters in place, and I was only a fraction off full out counter clockwise on the H needle. I could hear a distinct change in the cut vs out of the cut at wot, sounded like 4 stroking to me but what do I know. Well I ran 2 tanks thru her and couldn't read the serial numbers any more due to the exhaust putting a layer of carbon/soot over them. Lol, so the good news is I was rich bad news is I'm guessing by a lot.
Move forward and I purchased a 461, well it's coil limited and heck I can't tell where I'm at.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So going forward I purchased a TT-20k tachometer and it seemed like a well recommend Tach and at the price of these saws in reality it's a drop in the bucket.
Both saws are stock (for now).
So from my reading the 660 should be set at 13,000
While the 461 is at 13,500 but is limited so may be a little more challenging.

Do you guys recommend setting them at full RPM, or drop them 100/200 for a safety factor?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100-200 you're not going to notice. I run most of mine by ear. A few I'll tach since it's hard to hear a few 4 stroke at 14.5k. The 461 is limited to around 14k I believe so as long as you're under the limiter it will 4 stroke like normal.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've read the 461 while need to be slowly walked up till the tach goes crazy then back it down a bit till I get a solid reading as close to 13.5k as possible.

Sorry for the newbie questions but I really can't afford to roast a saw from my own stupidity. Being a Former Marine and current Professional Firefighter I can tell you if they make it I can break it.

Thanks guys, Rye.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
if your unsure of the RPM , back it off a bit more , best be safe than sorry

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I'm having a hard time telling when they are 4 stroking unless I'm real rich, Ive tried with ear pro and without. My days in the Corps as a Heavy Machinegunner (best job I ever had) and now as a Firefighter have not helped my hearing at all.
Lack of a good teacher or any for that matter is a problem as well.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tach arrives tomorrow so I just want to have a good plan in place when I go to check them and set them up.

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a good video from anther site.... not trying to take away from this forum but this one just always was a good reference on the "how to" of tuning http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-tuning-101.250802/

Also I've watched this video on youtube
this one is very basic in the presentation but it gives a good idea of what your doing, and where you need to go. I know I was pretty unaware of how to tune, especially when I was changing fuel mixtures in my saws and also changing idle adjustments for the change in seasons.

I also recommend investing in a tachometer. They can make a world of a different when in comes to finding the "four-stroke" in the saw, plus keeping you safe from overdoing the tune. I'm no expert by any means and there is definitely some guys on here that'll be a better help, this is just my two cents.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Something that helped me and I still do from time to time is video tuning and a cut. Then listen back to it, it's much easier to hear the tune when you can focus only on it and not everything else that's going on.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the tach, pretty cool. Wondering about results if they are typical.

I'm at sea level, or to be exact 84' above per gps, it's 47 degrees F out.

660 full out clockwise on the High needle with a slight turn counter clockwise like 1/16th turn nets 13000 to 132000 wot.

461 full out clockwise on the High needle left alone bumps off the limiter. It will show 13400-13500 then bounce to 8xxx then back, so I'm hitting the limiter even all the way out.

Running premium ethanol free with Stihl HP ultra 50:1 ratio

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just figured I was running both a little fat being so close to full clockwise and I'd have to lean them a little.
maybe being so close to sea level and at the ambient temp I'm at they are just ready to run.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta remember those initial jet settings are just that- initial. If a tiny spec of anything forms in that passage, or if fuel thickens or thins out due to temp, ratio, or brand, the tune needs to be adjusted. That's why the screws are there, and not a fixed jet

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where'd you end up getting a tach from, and how much did you pay? If you don't mind me asking.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amicks shipped for IIRC $102

Expensive but it has a replaceable battery and is highly rated so to me it was worth every penny.