Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store

Need advice

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Gamerfan81, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Gamerfan81

Gamerfan81 Well-Known OPE Member

I have wood to split and went to split and couldn't get them split...I sharpening my axe (x27) I get the little ones to split just fine but not the big rounds....do I need a maul? How big If so? I have a splitting wedge, should I just use that?

huskihl likes this.
  2. huskihl

huskihl Sausage Fingers Forever

The maul will help. Next step up is the wedge. Or could noodle the big ones part way or completely in half with the saw first.

3. Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance Pinnacle OPE Member

Noodle gets me in the big ones and Y pieces. Rarely use a wedge. Sometimes a light weight maul. I don't swing a 12 pounder much anymore....like almost never. It tears up my shoulders. If you must hand split grab a wedge and long handle small 8 pound sledge.
    You can stick the big maul and then pound it home. Much prefer my lil tiny 6 ton two speed electric machine. Plus I very rarely takes anything over 20-22" across for firewood.

huskihl and Gamerfan81 like this.
  4. Gamerfan81

Ok thanks guys

5. Gamerfan81

Thats what i need a electric splitter

6. Rob Stafari

Rob Stafari Pinnacle OPE Member

Bigger rounds can be tough to split. Not too bad if it is good and straight grained. Work around the outside splitting the edge off first as opposed to trying to split the round in half. Much easier that way. A Gransfors Bruk splitting maul will make it even easier. Outran a hydraulic splitter that had two people feeding it twofold with mine. Was quarter rounds from a massive 40ish inch red oak. Nice straight grain and the gransfors maul ate it for lunch. I have an x27 too, it doesn't stand a chance in comparison.

7. CR888

CR888 Pinnacle OPE Member

I often have wood that no matter what axe or maul you have you won't split it by hand. So first take a look at the grain and determine whether hand splitting is an option to begin with. If it is but it seems difficult look at where you striking, 'reading' the growth rings and putting the axe bit in the right spot is a skill you need to practice. Sinking the heel of the axe in first can assist too in some cases. Hard to explain in one post but 'how' you tackle a round where you start & where you go next makes all the difference. The wood will tell you what to do if you know what to look for.

8. KS Plainsman

KS Plainsman Well-Known OPE Member

If you are a Fiskars fan, try their maul. The Iso-Core 8 lb maul. I use the Fiskars X27 most of the time, but on nasty rounds, I just use the maul. I used to use wedges, but it kinda ends up with extra work sometimes, when the wedges get stuck. Sometimes, on some rounds, I've had 2 wedges stuck in there and it still wasn't split. Makes for a few cuss words getting that all sorted out.

Cat 525 and Rob Stafari like this.
  9. Al Smith

Al Smith Pinnacle OPE Member

Although I don't swing an axe that much occasionally I get some that need noodled to fit into the splitter .Like an oak stump 5 across the root spread .Noodle a couple of places then attack it with steel wedges and an 8 pound beater .I always win but it takes some time .
    Stumps contain some gnarly wood but are good for "over nighters " wood .The last fill up before bed time toss a few pieces in and they will still be burning next morning .Put on the coffee open up the air and ten minutes later it will be aroar .

Cat 525, Gamerfan81 and Rob Stafari like this.
  10. Cat 525

Cat 525 Here For The Long Haul!

Get a couple boys splitting and then getta couple gals to show up! Boys will get it done trying to impress the ladies! Plan on buying more handles though! Their aim gets confused!

Gamerfan81, KS Plainsman and huskihl like this.
  11. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

I like wedges and a sledge hammer.

Depends on what you like, what you have, what you can afford, how much wood you have to split, etc.

Wedges 2.jpg

Philbert