High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS462 FOR SALE IN GERMANY

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yep West coast and East coast of North America doesn't have temperatures in the 30 below range, where many saw have to work in.
But Stihl must have tested the 462 in the interior of Alaska, B.C. and states like Minnesota.

Impression I got from the Tech Dept is Stihl wants to make sure this saw is really good to go for North-Am and Europe is sort of the test ground right now having it close so they can get right on an issue if there is one .
They have also released some other equipment in Europe we won't see here for a while yet , new cut-quick for one .

Think I mentioned before when I first started at Stihl in 1988 there were 5- 064 saws that had been test units used in BC sitting on top of the Tech shop . I asked Fred Whyte about them and if I could get check them out and see if they were salvageable and he said sure !! I got 4 of the 5 running , the one donated parts as the cranks and bearings were different (smaller) then the released units . My friend still has one that I hope I can get back . It kicks like a mule when you go to start it and will rip the cord right out of your hand if you're not ready for it ! She is one nasty cutting machine :cool:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think I mentioned before when I first started at Stihl in 1988 there were 5- 064 saws that had been test units used in BC sitting on top of the Tech shop . I asked Fred Whyte about them and if I could get check them out and see if they were salvageable and he said sure !! I got 4 of the 5 running , the one donated parts as the cranks and bearings were different (smaller) then the released units . My friend still has one that I hope I can get back . It kicks like a mule when you go to start it and will rip the cord right out of your hand if you're not ready for it ! She is one nasty cutting machine :cool:
The 064AV production date ran from Jan.1 1986 to Dec.1 2002.
I got two 064's both with West Germany on their rewind housing tags.
The very early ones were lighter then a MS460 and yes like you said lots of compression with no decomps.
My first one I bought in late summer of '86 had heated handles and loved that saw. Until a month later when my skidder operator ran over it after I stuck it in a tree when going for lunch.
Bar/chain was still in the tree, powerhead laying on the ground. Still have that saw today sitting on my shelf, only needs a crankcase half.
Those 064's were the only Stihls at the time before the heated carbs in the early '90s, to not ice up in our cold winters with dry powder snow.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vince, was that suit case a carry on?
Just wondering because in all my travels my checked luggage goes straight on to the conveyor belt and has never been opened by security.
no it wasnt. was in the suitcase. they must screen them after the check in point. too easy to plant a bomb otherwise.
just like USB power packs must go in carry on. if they go in the checked in suitcase they throw yr luggage off. whether i could have gotten thru with carry on would be an interesting question. i guess anything that can start a fire they dont want under a plane. but inside is ok because it would be noticed way earlier.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In case some of you are wondering Willard worked for Stihl for a spell too while I was with the company .
You can tell them the rest if you want to Willard .
Not much to say Nitehawk, I think I might already have told my life story here. Can't remember for sure as I've been on too many sites lol.
I was only with Stihl for less then a year in 1989 and was able to quit and move on seeing I never signed a contract.
But the guy who replaced me Dave Gordon damn well had to sign a contract haha.
I never got sent to school in Germany but I did get to spend a day with Hans Peter Stihl when he visited our branch.
Stihl gave me a Chevy Blazer, credit cards, office with a cute little secretary . Spent the first 6 weeks in a luxury hotel and when on the road I was told always stay at the best hotel in town.

My branch manager Steve Meriam and our president Fred Whyte moved on a few years later and made the big times running Stihl Inc. in Virginia Beach. Sweet!
Life is good for me now too.:)

20170928_103757.jpg 20170928_103849.jpg

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not much to say Nitehawk, I think I might already have told my life story here. Can't remember for sure as I've been on too many sites lol.
I was only with Stihl for less then a year in 1989 and was able to quit and move on seeing I never signed a contract.
But the guy who replaced me Dave Gordon damn well had to sign a contract haha.
I never got sent to school in Germany but I did get to spend a day with Hans Peter Stihl when he visited our branch.
Stihl gave me a Chevy Blazer, credit cards, office with a cute little secretary . Spent the first 6 weeks in a luxury hotel and when on the road I was told always stay at the best hotel in town.

My branch manager Steve Meriam and our president Fred Whyte moved on a few years later and made the big times running Stihl Inc. in Virginia Beach. Sweet!
Life is good for me now too.:)

View attachment 90189 View attachment 90190

So why did you move on? That job looks and sounds pretty sweet!

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So why did you move on? That job looks and sounds pretty sweet!
Well all I can say is I was 31 years old at the prime of my life. Started to miss my old 15 year seniority IWA unionized falling job that paid twice the wages and benifits.
Started to get tired of the big city rush hours, saw dealers I had to deal with and looking around to set up new ones.

Got my old job back and put another 15 years in with them.
Last 13 years been full time owner operator of my tree service and now starting up a saw shop business for the off season's.

I look back now and yeah I probably made the biggest decision in my life right there. When you're 31 years old time is always on your side. I'm just happy today at 59 everything I need worked out for me.

But sure when I saw Fred become president of Stihl Inc. Virginia Beach and Steve manager of national sales and product research and development. I still wonder what I could have been if I stuck it out.....

Last edited:

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stihl Canada grew fast in those years Willard , the London head office / warehouse where I was at grew 3 times in size before I left in 2005 and has doubled again in size .
Lots of changes with how fast paced it became in those years too , good and bad times mixed together , it was stressful at times so I think you made a good move .

I headed the Tech Dept for several months between the time Larry Howard left and Dave Ellis came on board . Fred had other ideas for me at the time was the reason I didn't take over the Tech Dept . but after he left his plans for me went with him so for me it was a big dissapointment .

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fred Whyte was a great guy Nitehawk. I really liked him.
He probably may have taken you to Virginia Beach.

For readers here not in the know.
Fred recently passed away from cancer, he was 70.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I may have had my chance but it was a complicated time . He was a great boss and loved to pull pranks .
I remember him saying I had surgeons hands when he watched me working on saws in the Tech shop...hahaha !!!
One day in the warehouse when I was helping with shipments to dealers it was hot as hell and Fred comes trotting out with a bottle of beer and says here , I didn't forget it was your birthday .:D

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have been finally reunited [emoji7][emoji16]
And just in time for the weekend [emoji1360]

576548cce86083f6bee2ac7e78746f39.jpg