ms200t ring install

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Runs, but it will still lift off that trigger and come off. I still have the box you sent it to me in. I will PM you soon to see if your address is changed. I will send it exactly how I have put it back together, hopefully you'll be able to find my mistake. Very discouraging.
Don't worry it cant be too much of a problem. Same old address!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An 020/200T can be a headache to figure out the linkage .All I can say is pay attention to how it all connects before you tear it down .If nothing else since most have digital cameras take a picture of it prior .

As far as installing the piston ,I've never used any type of ring compressor on any saw and I've done a bunch of them .Just make certain the ring gap is over the pin .Don't be afraid of oil,it's your friend .I use enough if it doesn't blow smoke for 5 minutes first start up I fear I didn't use enough of it

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An 020/200T can be a headache to figure out the linkage .All I can say is pay attention to how it all connects before you tear it down .If nothing else since most have digital cameras take a picture of it prior .

As far as installing the piston ,I've never used any type of ring compressor on any saw and I've done a bunch of them .Just make certain the ring gap is over the pin .Don't be afraid of oil,it's your friend .I use enough if it doesn't blow smoke for 5 minutes first start up I fear I didn't use enough of it
The piston pin clips are a trick to get in if you dont do them a lot.

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, what happened with this saw?

Well, I ended never being able to get that trigger assembly quite right so I plan on sending it to LoneWolf. Hopefully he'll be interested in buying it back. Just frustrated with the saw, definitely my own incompetence of mechanical ability. I also have a brand new bar and 2 brand new in box chains for it. Those will probably be posted onto the ads forum in the near future. Thanks for all the input though.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I ended never being able to get that trigger assembly quite right so I plan on sending it to LoneWolf. Hopefully he'll be interested in buying it back. Just frustrated with the saw, definitely my own incompetence of mechanical ability. I also have a brand new bar and 2 brand new in box chains for it. Those will probably be posted onto the ads forum in the near future. Thanks for all the input though.
OK send it and I will see whats up with it.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Was there ever an end to this fairytale? I carefully followed for 5 pages,somebody has got to give it up, enquiring minds want to know....

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was there ever an end to this fairytale? I carefully followed for 5 pages,somebody has got to give it up, enquiring minds want to know....
Well i think I bought it from him if it is the saw I was thinking of . The linkage was binding up. See red arrow.

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well i think I bought it from him if it is the saw I was thinking of . The linkage was binding up. See red arrow.
Thank you, was definitely a cliffhanger! Happily ever after, I appreciate the response.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you, was definitely a cliffhanger! Happily ever after, I appreciate the response.
I literally worked on a pair of these all day today. Both are done .

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Opinion on the 020AV ? Parts available?
Go with an 020T I haven't had one of those saws in 20 years. I cant remember but I think they were a little heavy , nose heavy and hard as hell to work on.

Last edited:

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Opinion on the 020AV ? Parts available?
If you decide our need to atone for something terrible in your past or are a masochist I may have a lot of nos parts for the 020av.
Many old school dealerships have piles of crap for this pooptacular saw :cool:
I haven't ever seen a piston or cylinder in the piles of new parts though.
Be warned they aren't a fun saw to wrench on
Dave

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you decide our need to atone for something terrible in your past or are a masochist I may have a lot of nos parts for the 020av.
Many old school dealerships have piles of crap for this pooptacular saw :cool:
I haven't ever seen a piston or cylinder in the piles of new parts though.
Be warned they aren't a fun saw to wrench on
Dave
My neighbor gave me one, says he's too old to play with saws.
Says it's good except for needed carb deethanoled, he was nice enough to include a carb kit with it. I struggled to get the throttle linkage/rod reattached, and was convinced that he had bent it, but after such glowing reviews and advice on the mental health issues related to service of said model maybe I should just give it to my six year old to play with. He would probably be disappointed with it also, he was disappointed with the toy Stihl that he got when he was 3 1/2 , I thought it was cool it makes chainsaw noises and the chain works but he new when it would barely cut notebook paper,that I was ripping him off, so an 020AV Super with no chain probably won't pass muster.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although the 020AV isn't a bad saw they rank right up with Mini Macs or Homelite xl2 as far as being a pain in the buttocks to work on .
I did a comparison between an 020AV and a Poulan S-25 which were made during the same time period .They weigh almost the same and cut at about the same speed .
That same 020AV was given to me and needed a seal change which I did .It's now on the shelf awaiting for me to get the gumption to rebuild the carb which itself is no big deal .Dissecting the
the little rascal to get to the carb is a big deal .That saw was built before the use of torx head screws and uses slotted heads which become almost impossible to remove .When is goes back together it will have torx heads or socket heads .I could give 2 cents for historically "correctness " Function over form for me .