McCulloch CP 125 build

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed the rod bolts being different than the 6 spline kind on the SP 125 c .I cut the heads down on a pair of grade 8 socket heads for a guy in Mississippi on another forum because a grade 8 with a standard head won't clear the stuffer plate .He could not find the spline heads on a project he was working on .They worked . I actually made 4 of them .
A low head is still too high and button head might have cleared but both low head and button heads are one allen wrench size smaller and he would likely strip the socket before he ever got them torqued .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems to me that the saws have enough clearance for a standard SHCS but the kart engine definitely require the spline heads on the rod bolts to clear the stuffer. Those button head screws should clear with no issues.

I have also found when tearing down a kart engine that they sometimes left a roller or 2 out of the big end of the crankshaft, evidently the theory was to reduce friction. Visit one of the vintage kart forums and you will eventually find someone confirming that effort.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ten series do have enough clearance but the SP 125 does not .It will hang,I tried it .A 10-32 by 5/8 button head might work but as I said I'd be concerned with that small of a socket .I've drilled of several at worked that did strip the socket .

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
3:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I had some finish work to do on the surface of this thing. The center divider was higher than both outer sides by about .010" which wouldn't let the reed petals close all the way.

Here's a pic after a few minutes of sanding to show the uneven surface. 20180131_171907.jpg

Finished up..20180131_171844.jpg20180131_174936.jpg

Much better.

Last edited:

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like an oem reed that's why I asked.
If someone is making them that would be great as
I have had to replace a few in the past and It can
hold up a project looking for a NOS reed.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like an oem reed that's why I asked.
If someone is making them that would be great as
I have had to replace a few in the past and It can
hold up a project looking for a NOS reed.

It was listed as a oem intake but we shall see. I can imagine it’s getting tough to track some of these parts down. Special thanks to Jim for helping me go through this saw right and get it setup for the long run.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that boot it was suggested it might be possible to adapt a boot from a Stihl 084 .It won't be spring loaded like the OEM McCulloch boot .I've never tried it myself .It might take some creativity to get it connected but nearly anything is possible .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it was Thomas72 that adapted an 084 boot and he machined a sleeve to straighten the tract a little. He also adapted a spring from another source.