Massey Ferguson MF-300

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a chance to get a New Idea 5 X 4 round baler. It wasn't wanting to lift the door all the way up, so Doyle parked it in the shed. It's too small for his tastes anyway. Do y'all know anything about those balers?
Run. If they are like the last New Idea I had to deal with they make a soft centered bale. Pain to keep on a round bale spear.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a chance to get a New Idea 5 X 4 round baler. It wasn't wanting to lift the door all the way up, so Doyle parked it in the shed. It's too small for his tastes anyway. Do y'all know anything about those balers?
I know round is more betterer than square, coming from a guy who, as a kid, humped up more than his fair share of squares

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We cut a lot of hay with a 686.

0fe1392d7a4e30e80208f00064028e00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Run. If they are like the last New Idea I had to deal with they make a soft centered bale. Pain to keep on a round bale spear.
Isn't that adjustable somehow though? Seems on dad's old one he did something to it and it packed tighter

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't that adjustable somehow though? Seems on dad's old one he did something to it and it packed tighter

Don't know. I do know a neighbor had a brandy new New Idea round baler that made the smaller bale. It ended up parked in the fencerow faster than just about anything I've ever seen. He made bales for me. Once.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not too familiar with new idea stuff. Any round baler should have a way to increase bale density to tighten them up. I never adjust mine it's a 640 nh fast net

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A question I'd have to ask. What type of tractor did he have it hooked to? My 856ih won't raise the tailgate up on my new holland. It ain't the baler it's the tractor. Most balers have a lockout lever in the back for safety So if you had a plug worth dumping the bale out you can clean out from the back I've had that switch hang on me. Other than that there isn't a whole lot else going on back there on new Hollands I'm not familiar with the new ideas though. None of my business but if string tie isn't an issue you can usually pick up new Hollands fairly reasonable. My baler has twenty some odd thousand bales on it still works for me. I don't let anyone else run it cause it does decide to have a fit once in a while but I'm familiar with the nature of that beast

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
one of New Idea's Better Idea's!

in all honesty if you spend the time to learn the quirks and get it fine tuned it will most likely be a fine baler but the new idea's better idea's saying didnt get invented for nothing. New Idea equipment has caused farmers more grief than probably every other brand combined. personal experience says that if it is hay related, New Holland is the only way to go but i am kinda biased....tractor, both balers, manure spreader, sickle bar, my old hay rakes were all new holland. My new hay rake is New Idea and i wouldnt trade it for anything at this point......hydraulic drive has spoiled me, no matter how thick the hay or steep the ground it always turns and is so quiet you have to keep looking back to check on it.

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one of New Idea's Better Idea's!

in all honesty if you spend the time to learn the quirks and get it fine tuned it will most likely be a fine baler but the new idea's better idea's saying didnt get invented for nothing. New Idea equipment has caused farmers more grief than probably every other brand combined. personal experience says that if it is hay related, New Holland is the only way to go but i am kinda biased....tractor, both balers, manure spreader, sickle bar, my old hay rakes were all new holland. My new hay rake is New Idea and i wouldnt trade it for anything at this point......hydraulic drive has spoiled me, no matter how thick the hay or steep the ground it always turns and is so quiet you have to keep looking back to check on it.

New Idea,they either hit it out of the park(cornpickers and *s-word spreaders) or not so much.

Steve NW WI

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The NI round balers did have a soft core, like Ross says. At the time they advertised it as a good thing. No one around here had one though. Mostly Vermeer and NH up here, with the die hard greenies running Deere balers.

I've got a 12' Hesston center pivot, PTO hydraulic drive like 800's 499. I have to take the loader off to run the lift and swing though, or get a Fasse valve for it, but they're another PITA. I run it with my 65 horse 180 Massey, but it's a heavy pig that pushes ya around in my hills. I'd like to have 80-90hp in front of it, in 4 years when I'm doing hay again, it'll maybe have a bigger tractor on it.

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The NI round balers did have a soft core, like Ross says. At the time they advertised it as a good thing. No one around here had one though. Mostly Vermeer and NH up here, with the die hard greenies running Deere balers.

I've got a 12' Hesston center pivot, PTO hydraulic drive like 800's 499. I have to take the loader off to run the lift and swing though, or get a Fasse valve for it, but they're another PITA. I run it with my 65 horse 180 Massey, but it's a heavy pig that pushes ya around in my hills. I'd like to have 80-90hp in front of it, in 4 years when I'm doing hay again, it'll maybe have a bigger tractor on it.

Good to know they are so heavy. My 1090 and 1091 weighed 3500#. Not light. I really like the way Hesston's condition hay though.