Mai-Mai is a B!TCH!!!!

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20180107_110042.jpg So that is it for now. No more cutting for a bit. It is 42 degrees C here the next 3 days (that's 107 Farenheit for you guys) and that IS IN THE SHADE. I saw 43 (109) yesterday in the sun, so it is more likely than not to go well above 110 here during that time!!!!!! Cheers and a Happy New Year to you all.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd just got back in last nite, and couldn't sleep, thought I,d do some reading.
Anyhow I did enjoy reading your thread. What a good write up. Cheers,

I just got back up and finished reading,
That's a simple but very interesting tool you made, I'm assuming it threads onto the clutch thread, and thus pulling the crank into the bearing.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she breaks in

Cheers

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd just got back in last nite, and couldn't sleep, thought I,d do some reading.
Anyhow I did enjoy reading your thread. What a good write up. Cheers,

I just got back up and finished reading,
That's a simple but very interesting tool you made, I'm assuming it threads onto the clutch thread, and thus pulling the crank into the bearing.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she breaks in

Cheers
20180107_192237.jpg
Yeah mate that's all it does. Just a backyard version of what Mattyo produces (but nowhere near as nice).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just put one of my Asian Twins (660s) in wood for the first time today. Has OEM piston pin bearing and piston pin clips, otherwise, all from the kit. The chain adjuster needed a lot of attention, but got it to work well (ground the case a bit to allow the gear to fit, then worked it in).

I cautioned about the Asian Elastostarts a long time ago, the OEM is not that expensive, but the regular rope that comes on the Asian saw works just fine. However, I always put some lube on the recoil (liquid silicon) to smooth them out, makes a big difference. Don't need to take anything apart, just put the lube on and pull it a few times. Also, you should be able to replace the rope w/o taking it apart. Just thread the rope through, tie the knot, then loop it around as you twist the center.

I got my Fuel Cap to seal by putting some Vaseline on it, but on the refill it started leaking. So I went to the auto parts store and got some large O rings (55 cents each), to replace those lousy flat gaskets, and it seems to be working well.

FYI, they seem to give you 3 different size flat gaskets with the kit, NONE OF THEM WORK!!!

I think the saws have some extra vibes due to the heavier piston pins (not tapered like OEM), so I may replace that if I do any more of them, but they run well. IMO, the Cross is a good deal stronger than most OEM stock 660s.

Best of luck with your saw.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I liked your write up so much that had to find and check out your other posts/threads. The way you combine the meaningful material with fun witty descriptives and humor is fantastic!
Thanks mate. Anyone that knows me, knows that I like having a joke and a yarn. I think it's just part of being Aussie!!

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dude that right up ranks right up there with ole @DefinativeDave aka dirt digger Dave. Are you by chance his long lost brother. If you two song writers would git togather I'm not sure I could laugh that hard. Good job buddy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yeah actually. @Definitive Dave is my brother-from-another-mother!!!

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just put one of my Asian Twins (660s) in wood for the first time today. Has OEM piston pin bearing and piston pin clips, otherwise, all from the kit. The chain adjuster needed a lot of attention, but got it to work well (ground the case a bit to allow the gear to fit, then worked it in).

I cautioned about the Asian Elastostarts a long time ago, the OEM is not that expensive, but the regular rope that comes on the Asian saw works just fine. However, I always put some lube on the recoil (liquid silicon) to smooth them out, makes a big difference. Don't need to take anything apart, just put the lube on and pull it a few times. Also, you should be able to replace the rope w/o taking it apart. Just thread the rope through, tie the knot, then loop it around as you twist the center.

I got my Fuel Cap to seal by putting some Vaseline on it, but on the refill it started leaking. So I went to the auto parts store and got some large O rings (55 cents each), to replace those lousy flat gaskets, and it seems to be working well.

FYI, they seem to give you 3 different size flat gaskets with the kit, NONE OF THEM WORK!!!

I think the saws have some extra vibes due to the heavier piston pins (not tapered like OEM), so I may replace that if I do any more of them, but they run well. IMO, the Cross is a good deal stronger than most OEM stock 660s.

Best of luck with your saw.
Thanks Mike. Great info. I wasn't too upset with having some problems.........otherwise I wouldn't have any material for my thread!!! HAHA.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
During this recent cold spell I was wishing I had another to put together! They are a fun project if you have a lot of time, but if you are in a rush, the fit + finish (or lack therof) can be very frustrating.

I had to adjust the carb lever on the first one I did, but not on the next two.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
During this recent cold spell I was wishing I had another to put together! They are a fun project if you have a lot of time, but if you are in a rush, the fit + finish (or lack therof) can be very frustrating.

I had to adjust the carb lever on the first one I did, but not on the next two.
Yes, rushing through one of these builds would be a recipe for disaster. Have you had problems with the high idle too?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, rushing through one of these builds would be a recipe for disaster. Have you had problems with the high idle too?

No, but I lube the crap out of the control lever, they come very stiff. I put some Vaseline on them. They always scare me a bit, but so far I have gotten them all to work.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, but I lube the crap out of the control lever, they come very stiff. I put some Vaseline on them. They always scare me a bit, but so far I have gotten them all to work.
Ok. I did grease mine for no difference. Will keep trying things. Not essential but make the starting process easier.