Let's See Them Chips !!!!

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's pretty condescending for not knowing someone's background.

Milwaukee has never had balance circuits in their batteries, that's what's causing problems with lithium batteries because unlike NiCd that can take balance current lithium cannot. If the 5x3 internal batteries get out of balance the pack throws an error and it's degraded or dead.

It's good your packs have matched cells, for the people who weren't so lucky they're out a bunch of money unless they can wire in a BMS, and that's not too many tradesmen.
Im still waiting on the reports of all the other manufacturers battery tools so I can decide if I need to scrap all my Milwaukee junk and buy another brand. Can you please hurry on this time is of the essence.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I am sure a smart feller like yourself is familiar with the concept of what you put out into the universe returns to you 3 fold? As an impartial observer I have to ask you do you want to be the bridge or the troll?

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run Milwaukee tools daily and while I have had batteries fail within a year they replace them under warranty. Why don’t you go read about all the other manufacturers see if they have their own issues. You own tools but do you use them? I have personally had a 12ah and 9 ah replaced under warranty so I take your post with a grain of salt. 🧂

Milwaukee has never had balance circuits in their batteries, that's what's causing problems with lithium batteries because unlike NiCd that can take balance current lithium cannot. If the 5x3 internal batteries get out of balance the pack throws an error and it's degraded or dead.

It's good your packs have matched cells, for the people who weren't so lucky they're out a bunch of money unless they can wire in a BMS, and that's not too many tradesmen.

Where did the above post from Nic, state his battery's have matched cells?

Or how to you tell if they have matched cells?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run Milwaukee tools daily and while I have had batteries fail within a year they replace them under warranty. Why don’t you go read about all the other manufacturers see if they have their own issues. You own tools but do you use them? I have personally had a 12ah and 9 ah replaced under warranty so I take your post with a grain of salt. 🧂
My buddy has tons of Milwaukee tool and has had good luck. Every company out there makes good and bad tools. Far as Milwaukee is concerned we’ve had very bad luck with 4-6” grinders but other tools are great. They sell a ton of the Milwaukee and dewalt saws where my wife works along with everything else and I’ve never heard he say they replaced lots of batteries.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sure a smart feller like yourself is familiar with the concept of what you put out into the universe returns to you 3 fold? As an impartial observer I have to ask you do you want to be the bridge or the troll?
i prefer being the troll
everyone knows that lol

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im still waiting on the reports of all the other manufacturers battery tools so I can decide if I need to scrap all my Milwaukee junk and buy another brand. Can you please hurry on this time is of the essence.
I primarily have Milwaukee tools, you'll have to do your own legwork on the other brands.

I have 5.0ah lithium batteries and recently put in an order for 6.0ah since that's the best price/performance balance I've found, given the 8.0 and 12.0 battery issues are a lottery I don't want to play. Are 8 & 12 good batteries? I don't know, the 5 & 6 weight/size work well on power tools, I was looking at the 12 for their chainsaw, however there were "a lot" of comments on the Milwaukee site with chainsaw purchases that resulted in dead batteries, enough for me to stick with gas. Given how much current the saws draw it could be a spot-weld failure issue, that I don't know...but if it is that's a relatively easy work-around (solder them up, though that could be a safety issue).

Where did the above post from Nic, state his battery's have matched cells?

Or how to you tell if they have matched cells?
If they aren't matched cells the battery will start to go further out of balance each discharge/charge cycle, continuing until the imbalance is "too much" and the charger either shows the battery as full or displays an error code. My observation is most cells are well-matched, some are a bit weaker and some batteries fail early. To see how "in balance" they are remove the four screws holding the top and bottom of the case together and measure the voltage across each set of cells. The 18V batteries have 5 sets of 3 cells in parallel...let me see if I can find a video of how to measure voltage...this one is a bit long but shows how to measure voltage, how to use a high-speed balance board to charge the battery (so charging happens within a reasonable amount of time), and how to use a low-speed balance board to bring the weaker cells up to full charge. Note there are better balance boards out there but the ones he's using are under $5 each, so...

With that said, an R/C LiPo charger with internal balancing circuits could be used instead, requiring only a balance connector and alligator clips on the battery. The good ones are fast, though more expensive than what was used in the video.

In about August of 2023 when I was looking to buy a Milwaukee chainsaw there were about 1,500 posts, a lot of them describing how Milwaukee failed to honor the warranty even though they were purchased at Home Depot within six months prior and the person had the receipt (several people posted images of the receipts and denial). I see those posts have been removed from Milwaukee's site, but the remaining posts mostly talk about premature failure.

The odd thing is the chip on the internal board in the battery has a balancing feature, it seems it's not enabled. Balancing generates heat and extends charge time, but is necessary with lithium packs.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I primarily have Milwaukee tools, you'll have to do your own legwork on the other brands.

I have 5.0ah lithium batteries and recently put in an order for 6.0ah since that's the best price/performance balance I've found, given the 8.0 and 12.0 battery issues are a lottery I don't want to play. Are 8 & 12 good batteries? I don't know, the 5 & 6 weight/size work well on power tools, I was looking at the 12 for their chainsaw, however there were "a lot" of comments on the Milwaukee site with chainsaw purchases that resulted in dead batteries, enough for me to stick with gas. Given how much current the saws draw it could be a spot-weld failure issue, that I don't know...but if it is that's a relatively easy work-around (solder them up, though that could be a safety issue).

If they aren't matched cells the battery will start to go further out of balance each discharge/charge cycle, continuing until the imbalance is "too much" and the charger either shows the battery as full or displays an error code. My observation is most cells are well-matched, some are a bit weaker and some batteries fail early. To see how "in balance" they are remove the four screws holding the top and bottom of the case together and measure the voltage across each set of cells. The 18V batteries have 5 sets of 3 cells in parallel...let me see if I can find a video of how to measure voltage...this one is a bit long but shows how to measure voltage, how to use a high-speed balance board to charge the battery (so charging happens within a reasonable amount of time), and how to use a low-speed balance board to bring the weaker cells up to full charge. Note there are better balance boards out there but the ones he's using are under $5 each, so...

With that said, an R/C LiPo charger with internal balancing circuits could be used instead, requiring only a balance connector and alligator clips on the battery. The good ones are fast, though more expensive than what was used in the video.

In about August of 2023 when I was looking to buy a Milwaukee chainsaw there were about 1,500 posts, a lot of them describing how Milwaukee failed to honor the warranty even though they were purchased at Home Depot within six months prior and the person had the receipt (several people posted images of the receipts and denial). I see those posts have been removed from Milwaukee's site, but the remaining posts mostly talk about premature failure.

The odd thing is the chip on the internal board in the battery has a balancing feature, it seems it's not enabled. Balancing generates heat and extends charge time, but is necessary with lithium packs.
how many "junk" milwaukee tools and batteries do you have for sale or giveaway ?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why won’t you help me. You seem to have all the answers the other day.
Guess I’ll have to ask my niece for you or one of my buddies from high school. My buddy was an electrical engineer at Samsung working on computer chips from home with trips to California ever few weeks. He’s since quit there and was working at Honeywell for a retirement job. My niece just graduated last year as an electrical engineer from North Dakota. Maybe they can help us out on what to buy and if the new li-po pillow packs coming out are any good

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess I’ll have to ask my niece for you or one of my buddies from high school. My buddy was an electrical engineer at Samsung working on computer chips from home with trips to California ever few weeks. He’s since quit there and was working at Honeywell for a retirement job. My niece just graduated last year as an electrical engineer from North Dakota. Maybe they can help us out on what to buy and if the new li-po pillow packs coming out are any good
Thanks Chris. I look forward to the findings

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What do you do for a living ?