Trader history (0)

WCfirewoodguy

OPE Member
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of those that looks similar but it's an 075, weighs a ton but I got it for a milling saw. Hard to start, probably is the carburetor. It's been sitting now for about 15 years or so, I bought all the milling chains and bars, and a mill. At some point I figured I could just go buy Douglas Fir Lumber cheaper than all the work it would take to mill my own. I remember the guy that sold it to me got it to fire up in the McDonalds parking lot in his shorts and tee shirt, and then we shut it down. I never got it to fire up again after that and about tore my shoulder off! Even with the compression valve on. Has to be a fuel issue, I worked on the coil and the coil gap, changed the plug, for some reason I never could get the carburetor to work, it might just be as simple as draining the old fuel, taking the carb apart, changing fuel filter, oil in the cylinder, etc... Then brand new fuel/oil and away it goes! Hopefully anyways. I know of a 36 inch diameter Maple I can go test it out on with a 36" Oregon bar and .64 gauge chain and sprocket, or I could set up the mill also. I would prefer douglas fir to Mill with, Maple's not much good for framing and the kind of projects I have. I prefer douglas fir, and even better high altitude tight grain fir if I can find some.

I like your post anyways, hope you find a buyer for your saw! I know a logger out here and he has 2 or more in his attic for "souveniers" or display items basically. He said to go buy a newer saw if I was really going to do a lot of milling. For him anyways, he is a logger, he uses them for logging big firs and most of the logging now is done with those excavators that grab the tree and chop it off at the base, then they cut it and stack it for the logging trucks. Not much use for a chainsaw anymore I guess for the smaller logs anyways. The bigger logs they still have to do with a chainsaw.

I am not a logger, I go get free firewood rounds off of Craigslist ads, and sometimes they have a big old log the tree service fell in the yard and it's free if you can haul it away! So every so often I need a really big saw, I was 50 when I bought the 075, and it might be too big now as I just turned 65. I got a 394 as well, after the 075 wouldn't fire up. It's a way lighter saw than the old 075. Sure would like to get the thing fired up again!

Hope it sells, I wanted to post here so I can come back and find this post again... Take care all.

(edited) .404 chain? .64 gauge? Been a long time now, all my huskies are .50 and 3/8" and not "Stihls" Lol... Sorry if I posted incorrectly.

WCfirewoodguy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of those that looks similar but it's an 075, weighs a ton but I got it for a milling saw. Hard to start, probably is the carburetor. It's been sitting now for about 15 years or so, I bought all the milling chains and bars, and a mill. At some point I figured I could just go buy Douglas Fir Lumber cheaper than all the work it would take to mill my own. I remember the guy that sold it to me got it to fire up in the McDonalds parking lot in his shorts and tee shirt, and then we shut it down. I never got it to fire up again after that and about tore my shoulder off! Even with the compression valve on. Has to be a fuel issue, I worked on the coil and the coil gap, changed the plug, for some reason I never could get the carburetor to work, it might just be as simple as draining the old fuel, taking the carb apart, changing fuel filter, oil in the cylinder, etc... Then brand new fuel/oil and away it goes! Hopefully anyways. I know of a 36 inch diameter Maple I can go test it out on with a 36" Oregon bar and .64 gauge chain and sprocket, or I could set up the mill also. I would prefer douglas fir to Mill with, Maple's not much good for framing and the kind of projects I have. I prefer douglas fir, and even better high altitude tight grain fir if I can find some.

I like your post anyways, hope you find a buyer for your saw! I know a logger out here and he has 2 or more in his attic for "souveniers" or display items basically. He said to go buy a newer saw if I was really going to do a lot of milling. For him anyways, he is a logger, he uses them for logging big firs and most of the logging now is done with those excavators that grab the tree and chop it off at the base, then they cut it and stack it for the logging trucks. Not much use for a chainsaw anymore I guess for the smaller logs anyways. The bigger logs they still have to do with a chainsaw.

I am not a logger, I go get free firewood rounds off of Craigslist ads, and sometimes they have a big old log the tree service fell in the yard and it's free if you can haul it away! So every so often I need a really big saw, I was 50 when I bought the 075, and it might be too big now as I just turned 65. I got a 394 as well, after the 075 wouldn't fire up. It's a way lighter saw than the old 075. Sure would like to get the thing fired up again!

Hope it sells, I wanted to post here so I can come back and find this post again... Take care all.

(edited) .404 chain? .64 gauge? Been a long time now, all my huskies are .50 and 3/8" and not "Stihls" Lol... Sorry if I posted incorrectly.
Just realized you are in New Zealand! A long ways from Seattle, WA, (closest city to me that you might have heard of). I would keep it!

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mark, interesting you point up the muffler, the one that came on the saw is a very early style muffler, but it appears to be off an 066 as it the deeper version and had spacers between it and the cases along with long M5 cap screws. I presumed this was wrong and found a good (shallower) 064 muffler, which as you say is off a later saw. The original setup will be thrown in with the saw if the purchaser is keen. As for the oil pump drive, what did the original look like?
View attachment 413069

That’s most certainly an 064 muffler the “cheese grater “ cover. 066 always had the notch out of the bottom for heat dissipation. Early worm gear had a round drive wire on the gear instead of square.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s most certainly an 064 muffler the “cheese grater “ cover. 066 always had the notch out of the bottom for heat dissipation. Early worm gear had a round drive wire on the gear instead of square.
So what you're saying is that the spacers between the muffler and case and the longer M5 cap screws are factory?

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just realized you are in New Zealand! A long ways from Seattle, WA, (closest city to me that you might have heard of). I would keep it!
Julian bought my scarr 395xp last summer. Mark handled all the international shipping details for me. Mark was very easy to deal with and did all the leg work. Buy with confidence!!!

WCfirewoodguy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a really nice saw, I got an 075 in the woodshed though, you guys are working me like a used car salesman! I already have a Husqvarna Chainsaw collection, and now another old Stihl? Don't you think it should stay in New Zealand? I guess it originally was shipped from Germany, so Europe perhaps. Canada or the USA has a lot of really big trees still. I got a picture, just realized of a big Maple.. I got most of the little stuff already out of this vacant lot, I had to leave the big tree there as my husky 55 would not cut it, Smaller stuff yes, that big log is 36" in diameter and it's green and wet. We've had some cold weather in February and March and my guess is this was just cut down in late February or early March.

I told the lady that someone needs to have a "giant chainsaw" and a log splittler just to get that big log down the hill and into thier truck...

I have a husky 394 that needs the carb rebuilt, it will fire but it won't keep running. I must be doing something wrong when I store my chainsaws. I always try to use high octane Ethanol free but maybe it sits too long in the saw. The 394 was a little scary with a 20" bar and a ripping chain on it but I remember it fired up right away and that was in 2015. It's been locked in a vehicle since 2015, outside but the vehicle is under cover.
Maybe dry rot? Bad fuel hoses, not sure.

The 075 would be the defintion of a "giant chainsaw" in my opinion. With a 36" bar and .404 chain etc... It would just idle through that big Maple.

Your sales pitch is very good, but that saw will sell itself when you find the right buyer for it. This is the right area for a saw like that and for a chainsaw mill from what I have heard. People always want what they can't have, in my experience...

I'll think about it anyways, you were one of the most popular posts on the forum yesterday, I got the email alert and had to check it out. It's tax season in the USA so people are getting tax refunds, be patient... This picture is from a Craiglist Ad in Seattle, WA. That's a very large Maple, I figure 2-3 cords left or if someone has a mill a lot of board feet of Big Leaf Maple!

Attachments

• 01515_4DASYLUK2WO_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    01515_4DASYLUK2WO_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 10

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what you're saying is that the spacers between the muffler and case and the longer M5 cap screws are factory?

Spacers for the newer muffler or older one?

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spacers for the newer muffler or older one?
The old style muffler the saw came with (pictured below) had small steel sleeve spacers behind the bottom two holes. You can see them and the longer M5 cap screws (which have washers) below the muffler in the pic below.
20240324_065402.jpg

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is one nice example. GLWS!

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
3:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice early 064. Does the coil has a trigger box with it?

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The old style muffler the saw came with (pictured below) had small steel sleeve spacers behind the bottom two holes. You can see them and the longer M5 cap screws (which have washers) below the muffler in the pic below.
View attachment 413167
@ManiacalMark did you see my post above? Appreciate your reply if you had a moment.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 413167

Either the wrong muffler or the cylinder was swapped