Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In this world if mass production, one size fits all, it is nice to still have a few craftsmen that provide options to better fit the customers needs/wants.

Thanks Al for doing what you do and sharing it with us.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, great job as usual.

Jack, I hear you loud and clear. While I really try hard to stay in good shape, Father Time keeps ticking, and my grip on those starter handles is not what it once was. When the weather gets cool, even my beloved 044 will sometimes bite me!

When you are having a tough day, you may want to check out the two handed starting method I came up with. It can really help!

Jchin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jack, if you ever get stuck starting a saw, give this a try:

Hi Mike, I like you technique and will give it a try. What kind of strap did you rig up? It looks good.....

I have a tough old bird I would like to try your technique on. The saw is a stock Stihl 064. I think they don't make these anymore. This 064 doesn't have a decompression valve and has bitten me many times. When I was younger, I was able to start her, but Father Time ....... has gotten the better of me. The younger kids here on OPE would able to start her with no problem.

Mike, you should start a thread for us Older guys on starting these difficult saws. I am sure alot of us older members here on OPE have the same problem and maybe they can add what they do start them. I had read one post where Mr Stump Shot had the same old man bad shoulder problem like me.

Last, I want to thank Doc Al for doing this special hybrid for me. Your the best.........

Jack

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any strapping from an old cargo winch will work. Just tie a knot in it to make a small loop.

When you put your left foot on the top handle, don't go to the middle, keep it over the recoil as much as possible.

Keeping the Chain Brake on while doing it makes it a lot safer, but if you keep most of your weight on your right foot, balance s/b OK.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any strapping from an old cargo winch will work. Just tie a knot in it to make a small loop.

When you put your left foot on the top handle, don't go to the middle, keep it over the recoil as much as possible.

Keeping the Chain Brake on while doing it makes it a lot safer, but if you keep most of your weight on your right foot, balance s/b OK.

Vids or it didn't happen...

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Mike, I like you technique and will give it a try. What kind of strap did you rig up? It looks good.....

I have a tough old bird I would like to try your technique on. The saw is a stock Stihl 064. I think they don't make these anymore. This 064 doesn't have a decompression valve and has bitten me many times. When I was younger, I was able to start her, but Father Time ....... has gotten the better of me. The younger kids here on OPE would able to start her with no problem.

Mike, you should start a thread for us Older guys on starting these difficult saws. I am sure alot of us older members here on OPE have the same problem and maybe they can add what they do start them. I had read one post where Mr Stump Shot had the same old man bad shoulder problem like me.

Last, I want to thank Doc Al for doing this special hybrid for me. Your the best.........

Jack
You gotta be careful with your rotator cuff/back, my grandpa can’t even use a saw anymore like he used to. Torn rotator cuff from repetitive painting for many years and bad back too from lifting/carrying too heavy logs in the woods I believe. Maybe your 064 could be tapped for a decomp or have a decomp jug put on it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TAPATALK shows post numbers on phone.