High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Is Husky's Air injection still better than Stihl's?

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm
Mine fit no problem
thats weird, the airfilter box is a few mm longer then 346. It do fit without cutting out like I did, but it can't move.
Forgot to add that I used 346 intake boot, maybe there is difference between 346 and 357 there?

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thats weird, the airfilter box is a few mm longer then 346. It do fit without cutting out like I did, but it can't move.
Forgot to add that I used 346 intake boot, maybe there is difference between 346 and 357 there?
Ahhhh
I used a 346 intake boot

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. The system on the MS261CM is good, but it still pulls in chips around the throttle wire opening.
I find on my 261's the air injection system stops the bigger chips from the air box but the fines get through and fill the filter. The system works OK but is far from perfect IMO. I get 3 or 4 tanks before I clean them or tap the fines out.

Iceboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find on my 261's the air injection system stops the bigger chips from the air box but the fines get through and fill the filter. The system works OK but is far from perfect IMO. I get 3 or 4 tanks before I clean them or tap the fines out.
Seems to work on mine. Tap the filter every time you put gas and it should be allright. I wash my filter every third time with hot water and dish washer. Works for me.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well on my Husky 550 & 562 XPG's the filter doesn't get dirty, it goes right into the motor. By far the worst air filter design I have ever seen. The dirt gets in around the filter and intake pipe fitting not through the filter.

Note, the last pic is the intake pipe on a 346XP that has NEVER BEEN CLEANED and it has 10 times the amount of time on it.

2afcps8.jpg

fmpapv.jpg

2vkyvxx.jpg

309q4c6.jpg

24fiwde.jpg

121dao3.jpg

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First off, I see the paranoia of minute amount of dust passing through the engine with every stroke as way overblown. Obviously, although everyone wants the perfect filtration, these saws run non worse in comparison to other models. Most even rave how much better they are compared to the prior generation! If we compare the current crop to the saws of yesteryear = prior to 80's, there filtration was equivilent to what is shown here and those saws took much more beating!

Further if you want good air filtration get a dolmar 6100!

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anything ingested thru the intake = wear . If I saw as much ingested as the 550 and 562 pics above I'd be damn concerned .
Does filtering stop everything , no it doesn't and you'll always come across filtering both good and bad from any make . The way the filter has no seal on the Echo 590,600 and 620 for example concerns me and for the life of me I cannot understand why that has been overlooked by Echo . The 490 and 500 have rubber rings to seal at the intake so why not the others ??

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything ingested thru the intake = wear . If I saw as much ingested as the 550 and 562 pics above I'd be damn concerned .
Does filtering stop everything , no it doesn't and you'll always come across filtering both good and bad from any make . The way the filter has no seal on the Echo 590,600 and 620 for example concerns me and for the life of me I cannot understand why that has been overlooked by Echo . The 490 and 500 have rubber rings to seal at the intake so why not the others ??
My 555 doesn't let in nearly as much dust\dirt as those in the pictures here, but I have greased the area where the filter and air horn meet. I certainly agree that the design could use much improvement; o ring or flat gasket would solve the issue.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its almost like having an extra 1/16 of plastic and an O ring is going to bankrupt these manufacturers

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What type of wear are we talking about? These are not cut off saws that are exposed to materials as hard or harder than the aluminum inside the engine. These saws still easily survive 2-4 years of proffesional use so all this lamenting is simply laughable. Further the saws of past decades have survied hudreds if not thousand of hours with air filtration much worse than today. It is about time that people recognize that "planned obsolescence" has also arrived in chainsaws. The days of yesterdecades is long gone when pride was in workmanship to produce a product of quality!

Last edited:

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do understand we aren't talking about really abrasive material here but still......when you get new tires they should hold air and filter systems should filter. My Swedish saws all do a great job of spin/pre filtration and require little filter service compared to some other brands I have had. Had a Stihl 260 that needed the filter cleaner at about every fill and my current Dolmar 5105 is better, but not as good as the Husky/Jonsereds.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Re: wear
Because a two stroke engine feeds the cylinder below the piston, then transfers the charge to above the piston, a lot of that debris that makes it past the filter can remain in the cylinder without getting burned off, and wear the shaft or con rod bearings.

Re: 562xp filtration
My 562xpg filter doesn't pull that much through. However I cut more hardwood than dry/dusty wood.

Free $0.02 advice
The cleaner you keep the filter, the greater the suction will be through the filter material. As the filter material clogs up, the suction will increase where it can- at the gaps in the plastic. Routine maintainer is still required, no system is idiot proof. You may even need to buy a new filter if it is really gummed up.

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Re: wear
Well we have had enough rebuild documentations over the years here and in other forums that would have shown this misterious wear on the shaft or con rod bearings. Well I cannot remember a single mentioning of such a situation. Maybe one of the big modders/rebuilders here can say different.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How about using some grease? I know it is not the best or cleanest but dust sure sticks to it. And then if it did get sucked in at least it would be covered in grease. Lol
That should make it all good . Right?

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ran an echo 490 side by side against a 421 and you could see right away the echo with the pre separation was not as effective as the 421 with out pre separation. Don't get me wrong the 421 is not perfect and not anywhere as effective as the 6100. But just because a saw has the right parts doesn't always mean that they work any better. Wonder if that is why the 590-620 don't have the pre separation?

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran an echo 490 side by side against a 421 and you could see right away the echo with the pre separation was not as effective as the 421 with out pre separation. Don't get me wrong the 421 is not perfect and not anywhere as effective as the 6100. But just because a saw has the right parts doesn't always mean that they work any better. Wonder if that is why the 590-620 don't have the pre separation?

Yeah, probably because Air Injection isn't a technology advantage, it's a marketing gimmick, which is why Stihl doesn't mess with it, or any other rubbish like elasto start or flippy caps... lol

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well on my Husky 550 & 562 XPG's the filter doesn't get dirty, it goes right into the motor. By far the worst air filter design I have ever seen. The dirt gets in around the filter and intake pipe fitting not through the filter.

Note, the last pic is the intake pipe on a 346XP that has NEVER BEEN CLEANED and it has 10 times the amount of time on it.

2afcps8.jpg

fmpapv.jpg
thats how lousy the 550 filter is.
Husky has a new filter now, came in late 16, super fine filter.
If I got it correct there is a new 560/562 filter holder & fine mask filter

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thats how lousy the 550 filter is.
Husky has a new filter now, came in late 16, super fine filter.
If I got it correct there is a new 560/562 filter holder & fine mask filter
Are the filters actually letting the fines in? I thought it was getting in around the filter body and intake horn and this is why the application of grease there is helping.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the filters actually letting the fines in? I thought it was getting in around the filter body and intake horn and this is why the application of grease there is helping.

560/562 got new airfilter holder where the update was better seal.
Later they came with 24 my filter mask instead of the yellow 40 my filter mask.
We where used to the black 80, dunno why Husky cant make a proper air filter holder.....

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I believe it is getting in around the filter body and intake horn too, the grease did not help, but did make a mess.

560/562 got new airfilter holder where the update was better seal.
Later they came with 24 my filter mask instead of the yellow 40 my filter mask.
We where used to the black 80, dunno why Husky cant make a proper air filter holder.....

I should check into that.

Both of these being "G" models had the white nylon filter and I replaced with the yellow flocked. It made no difference. In fact I believe it made it worse.